Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

A new era
Old 02-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Area Manager

Default A new era

As most of you know, my precious, loving kitty slipped away last September. She had cancer - a particularly aggressive kind - and had to be put to sleep.

I've visited several shelters, and finally, today, I went to pick up my chosen kitten.

He's eight months old, and had been hit by a car. His tail and one of his back legs had to be amputated. They neutered him at the same time, and he's healthy. He's very sweet, and he's been exploring my place since he was let out of the carrier.

The people at the shelter were urging me to adopt a second kitty, since this boy will need a friend. They had two particular cats in mind, and I took at look at each of them.

I came home with a bag of cat food, a bag of kitty litter, a litter box, and two kitties. The other one, a female, is hiding under my bed. Food and water are out for them, and the litter boxes have been filled with fresh litter.

The woman from the shelter drove us home, along with the litter and box and food.

What did all this cost?

The adoption fee for one kitty. They gave me the second for free.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:53 PM
Tarot-carrying novelist.

Lovely. Just be careful about trying to obey two masters.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:15 PM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

Congratulations!

Recommended procedure is to start them out somewhere small, typically a bathroom, then gradually give them the run of the house. The hiding under the bed can become pretty constant, and getting the kitty out when you need her out can become a huge hassle if she habitually goes under there.

Cat trees and/or cubbies and/or just plain boxes can give cats good places to feel secure.

I miss my tripod kitty...

Old 02-06-2019, 09:44 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post

I miss my tripod kitty...
That's what I've named him! It seemed the logical choice. I also thought of "Bear", since he looks something like a baby bear, but Tripod wins.

Any ideas on what to name the girl? She's a black kitty. She's still in hiding, but she's come out from under the bed to hide in a corner behind a bookcase. I'd like to avoid the usual names given to black cats - Midnight, and the like - so other suggestions are welcome!

Old 02-06-2019, 10:33 AM
Area Manager

How about Styx, as in the river Styx from Greek mythology over which the dead were ferried to Hades? "Stygian", which is derived from Styx, is a word meaning "very dark".

Also Greek, there's Aphotic, which means "without light", and the aphotic zone is the portion of a body of water where less than 1% of sunlight penetrates.

Another Greek name, there's Artemis. She was Apollo's twin sister, and the goddess of the hunt (appropriate for a cat).

Switching mythologies, there's Bastet, for the Egyptian goddess of the home, domesticity, women's secrets, cats, fertility and childbirth. She protected the home from evil spirits and disease, especially those associated with women and children.

Also from Egypt, there's Sekhmet, the lion-headed goddess. She was a warrior goddess as well as a goddess of healing. Her breath was said to have formed the desert, and she was seen as the protector of the pharaohs and led them in warfare.

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:06 PM
Assistant Manager

Quote:
Quoth Eireann View Post

Any ideas on what to name the girl? She's a black kitty. She's still in hiding, but she's come out from under the bed to hide in a corner behind a bookcase. I'd like to avoid the usual names given to black cats - Midnight, and the like - so other suggestions are welcome!
So Kuro would be out of the question then?

Old 02-07-2019, 12:51 AM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Eireann View Post
That's what I've named him! It seemed the logical choice. I also thought of "Bear", since he looks something like a baby bear, but Tripod wins.

The name that came to me is Shadow.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:47 PM
Front End Supervisor

I like the name "Misha" myself

Old 02-07-2019, 01:55 AM
Store Manager

My sister's family named their two Labs after scientists. Tesla is the black one, also the smart one. Photos of her tend to come out as a silhouette. (For that matter, I tried to sketch her once, and *that* came out as a silhouette!) Faraday is the yellow one, twice her size and half the brains.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:06 AM
Unsteady as she goes

Yay two for one!! Bless your kitties, I think Bast is pleased!

If you like any of the Egyptian names, how about Nefer? It means good or beautiful