This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missed a chance to really get to know a coworker

She did the administrative stuff in our store, so most of the time she was upstairs and I only really saw her as I was coming in, late--I'm always running in, ugh--or the rare occasions we were in the breakroom together. Sometimes I'd try to have a little conversation with her, but she was usually busy on the computer and not really able to get much into it. She was nice and people liked her, but to me she was someone I didn't think I'd ever know too deeply and I was right about that.

She was out with some flu-like thing last month, which I didn't know until my direct boss passed around a card to sign; she was now in the hospital with staph. The last I heard she'd had to be moved to convalescent care. Every time I'd think of it I would say a silent prayer that she'd heal. I was worried but hopeful, and I missed seeing her.

Today I got a voicemail from the MOD saying he needed to talk to me. Now that was weird; if there's a shift to be filled he just leaves the info and if I'd done something wrong they'd call me into the office at work. I called and he was "unavailable", which frustrated me. Now I know why: he had been on the phone telling someone else that admin lady passed away yesterday. In the past they have made quiet announcements on the floor to small groups (we've lost 2 others in my time there), but today MOD guy is calling people personally. Now I know why the reception lady's voice sounded as it did; she knew why I and many others were calling. She's been there as long as I have, and it's probably harder for the "old-timers". I told MOD guy that I was so sorry he had to be the one to call people, and that it was super-appreciated to hear it personally. And I feel so bad for reception lady as she has to man the fitting rooms and deal with the phones and sadness. Those two are heroes to me today, as they have to be cheery to customers.

I was already struck with the fact that you can have your health on month and not the next, and that can be devastating enough, especially for someone like me who likes to be in control. But none of us really is in control. I'm just heart-broken.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 08-21-2014, 06:18 PM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Prayers and hugs for you Food Lady. I've been through losing someone I work for/with years ago and more recently. Both too young and the first was very devastating and it was suicide. I am glad you were able to share your feelings here and have acknowledged your feelings rather than bottle them up. It is never easy to lose anyone.

Comment

Thank you. Every time I come upstairs today, she's not there and it seems wrong.

Comment

I worked in a nursing home for far too many years.

We had this one sweet lady. At breakfast she was laughing and talking like a normal day. At supper she told the nursing to call her family, they needed to come immediately. Before sunset, she was with the Lord.

Peace be with you. You have my prayers.
        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Thank you. I went upstairs tonight and saw they'd posted the obit notice right by her office. It was all I could do not to cry at work. Ugh. The memorial service is private.

Comment

I know I'm coming in a little late on this, but I just wanted to let you I'm praying for you Food Lady & I'm sorry for ya'll's loss

Just goes to show, we're not promised tomorrow & we all need to live every day like it's our last, because one day it will be

((HUGS))
            "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Thank you. Right now we're all so overwhelmed with understaffing that we don't think about it too much. I often feel like she's on vacation when I think of her. Vacation in Heaven?

Comment

Working...
              X