This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legends of the camera shop

In my four years, I've come across a few interesting legends... Some that are known by staff at almost every shop in the company, here are a few.

Mars Bar Meltdown

This story concerns someone who no longer works for the company, most known for being a notorious flirt, but that's not really relevant here.

Now this particular ladies' man enjoyed his chocolate slightly melted, so would often microwave his chocolate for 30sec or so.

One busy day, he prepared his favourite snack, but got called out to serve a customer, and was stuck there for quote a while.

Eventually people noticed a faint scent of smoke in the shop, but that wasn't a rare occurrence with the way the AC system worked, and thought nothing of it.

Until the fire alarms went off and the fire brigade stormed in.

The source?

A Mars bar that had been in a microwave set to 30 MINUTES. Oops.

Apparently the b side to this was a hefty bill for a "false alarm" trip for the firies, which could have been negated by filling out a form, which centre management neglected to pass on until after it was due, so we refused to pay. I think eventually the centre themselves had to cough up.

Loss prevention extraordinaire

This one is a little further back, a little more vague, as there are conflicting stories. But all agree on the following.

The staff member in question was either manager or 2IC, and was formerly an armed security officer from somewhere in west Asia/Middle east. Apparently had been involved in an incident resulting in a fatality.

So not someone you want to catch you shoplifting, as one unlucky teenager found out.

The shoplifter in question was attempting to flee the shop when former security guard chased him down, grabbed him and dragged him back to the store.

He was then tied to a drainpipe in the back room until the police arrived, crying. One telling of this story had the shoplifter tied naked, as FSG was taking photos, but I'm not too sure about that part.

Eventually FSG was let to (apparently for unrelated reasons, he told the head of HR to, "Go and get f*cked") but he kept showing up for work so the police had to be called.

He still apparently tries to get a job back here, years later.

The camera on lay-by since 1985 and the Staff Christmas Party

For some reason, there was a camera that had been on layby for over two decades, so long that it became a legend in itself, and a stunning moment when the owner came to collect the camera just last year

That's not the astonishing part though, several days later the fresh owner of this vintage relic returned to our head office with a tape and the comment' "This isn't mine..."

Curious, a few people at head office managed to dig up equipment old enough to playback the footage.

And relived a rather wild staff Christmas party from the early 90s, complete with actions that would break many, many laws today.... And no, I can't go into any more detail on this one.

Am tempted to see if I can watch it myself though...

And that's it for now, as I remember/uncover more stories, I'll be sure to post them.

I definitely want to hear more of these if you have them! That last one is amazing!
    Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Working...
    X