Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You better get it exactly right! UGH! (Longish)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You better get it exactly right! UGH! (Longish)

My first post! Yay! Forgive me if my formatting is off.

I've had many a sucky and crazy customer over the years but this one happened yesterday and while not as nutso as some I can't get it out of my head.

BG/ I work in the deli dept of a large grocery store in a wealthy town. I'm used to strange and or special requests and will try my best to meet them if at all possible. BG/

SSC- stupid sucky customer
    me-
    CW1&2-Co workers
    OC- Other customer

SSC- I need 3/4lb of *stupidly expensive meat*
    Me- Ok (gets meat)
    SSC-I need each slice to be 1/10th of an inch.
    Me- (WTF?) Well, I can eyeball it for you but I have no way of measuring 1/10th exactly. (usually not a problem, people look at the slice, decide thinner or thicker or whatever)
    SSC- YOU BETTER GET IT EXACTLY RIGHT! I NEED 1/10TH EXACTLY SLICES!!
    Me- I have no way of measuring that for you, we'll have to do it by eye.
    SSC- I SAID EXACTLY!!! barggle barggle blah blah blah.......
    Me- I. Have. No. Way. of. Measuring. That. Exactly. Lather rinse repeat a few times..
    SSC-Well looking won't help, I don't know how thick that is! Eleventy barggle barggle....
    OC- staring wide eyed and shaking head at mr douchebag.
    I finally begin slicing and gauge what I think is about 1/10th inch and hold up slice.
    SCC- NO! That is more like 1/8th! Blah barggle complain...
    Me-ok, a bit thinner then....
    SSC- No! 1/10th! Thicker! Still blahing away....
    Me- (ummm....no..) Ok. Hold up next slice, appears ok, continue slicing, hand over stuff.
    SSC- THIS BETTER BE EXACTLY RIGHT!
    I just smile and he finally goes away.
    CW1&2- WTF was up his butt? You handled him better than we would have.
    OC-And better than I would, did he just say 1/10th was bigger than 1/8th?
    All of us begin to laugh which is great for getting me over his sucky-ness and on with my day. All day now CW1&2 randomly tell me I better get it right and ask if slices are 1/10th. It was funny.

So to recap this idiot for whatever random reason decided he must have exactly measured slices, had no idea what said slices should look like, thought that even without any way to measure if he told me to get it exact I magically could and then failed 4th grade fractions by saying 1/10th of an inch should be almost twice the size of 1/8th. He didn't even know what his exacting measure should be or look like. FAIL

Sounds like a SC who just wants to exercise some measure of "control" over someone else, beyond what he/she may reasonably expect by way of simply being a customer. Still an asshole.

That being said, to ! We've by the truckload, and someone should be along sooner or later with cookies, and bacon.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! Ohhh...Bacon!!!!!!! YUM.
      I thought the same thing, over the years I've learned that people who act this way do so because they can and it says way more about them than me. It also pisses them off to no end that they don't get a rise out of me. The calmer I am the madder they are lol.

Comment

to Your formatting's just fine. Jeez, you got a loony, didn't you?

I've dealt with people like him at the fabric store. You'd be amazed at how many people have no clue how to measure, or think a foot is bigger than a yard.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

From his distorted concept of what 1/10 of an inch is, it's probably a good thing you couldn't give him exactly what he asked for. Wouldn't have been what he actually wanted anyway, and you know somehow it would have been "your fault."
          "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

What? You mean you don't keep a micrometer handy? You are a terrible deli worker.

But yeah, I agree with the others that if you could have actually measured it, it wouldn't have been what he wanted anyway.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              ... think a foot is bigger than a yard.
              ... If they're thinking of his foot and his yard ...
              [/Wllm Shk]
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Probably a man whose wife tells him that his 2 inches is really 6.
                Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

Quoth JustShootMe View Post

My laptop screen doesn't like Diet Dr. Pepper very much at all. . .

And that's probably way too much talk about such a short subject.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

A slice of meat 1/10th inch thick? (Looks at ruler.) That's a healthy slab of meat. I prefer mine sliced a lot thinner, at least for sandwiches.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth JustShootMe View Post
                      ... it doesn't help uplift our thoughts when the thread title includes "(Longish)" ...

Comment

And all attempts to keep my mind out of the gutter just failed miserably.

Also, my laptop doesn't like coffee.
                        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          My laptop screen doesn't like Diet Dr. Pepper very much at all. . .
                          Quoth mathnerd View Post
                          Also, my laptop doesn't like coffee.
                          Sheesh, you'd you'd think we were a straggle of customers here... Didn't anyone read that big sign?

The one headlined "Rule #1"?

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            Sheesh, you'd you'd think we were a straggle of customers here... Didn't anyone read that big sign?

The one headlined "Rule #1"?

But the rules don't apply to me!!!!!

I really should know better. My excuse is I've been upside down (literally) most of the day and have a raging headache and forgot the rules. I'll do better next time.

Comment

OC-And better than I would, did he just say 1/10th was bigger than 1/8th?

Wow! That's right up there with, "I want my pizza cut into six slices; I could never eat eight!
                              Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

Working...
                              X