This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUT I AM A PERSONAL STYLIST

I now work in retail. We have a strict policy that we do not do holds on clearance stock. If it's on clearance, you either buy it now, or walk away. This has been the same since long before I worked here.

Enter this woman, incredibly self important and confident. She has an armful of clearance items, and she brings them to our counter. She plops them down and informs us that we are GOING to hold them for her until noon the next day. We tell her we cannot accommodate her request, due to the aforementioned policy. Bear in mind that all emphasis is, unfortunately, not mine but is actually how this woman spoke.

Oh, but she's a PERSONAL STYLIST. Not only that, but she has WORKED IN RETAIL MANAGEMENT BEFORE and she KNOWS HOW THESE THINGS WORK. She demands that we call our manager, which we do. Unsurprisingly, B, with better things to do than reiterate a policy that even the newest of newbies can parrot verbatim, just tells us to tell this woman no, then hangs up.

LET ME TALK TO YOUR MANAGER, comes the cry. But the manager has hung up. However, by some sort of divine providence, B has made her way downstairs and is now within hailing distance (she was on her way to do something else). We flag her down, and the customer tells her how she is a PERSONAL STYLIST and how HER SISTER IS A RETAIL MANAGER (really? Your sister? Two minutes ago it was you) and she KNOWS WE CAN DO THIS FOR HER. B keeps calmly repeating that the store policy is not to do holds on clearance stock.

Well, this woman does not like to be told no. Loudly and plaintively, she tells B that she is VERY INFLEXIBLE, and that she has JUST LOST A SALE. B shrugs, and prepares to go back to what she was doing.

And because of the way the store exits are set up, and where Personal Stylist Lady and B were standing as this back-and-forth played out, Personal Stylist Lady is denied a quick flounce to the nearest exit (B was in the way). Instead, she had to do the Flounce of Shame, the long way, past all the other departments, to get to the front exit.
    Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Quoth veniteangeli View Post
    she has WORKED IN RETAIL MANAGEMENT BEFORE and she KNOWS HOW THESE THINGS WORK.
    "Oh, okay, then it won't faze you to watch me put this stuff back out on the floor."
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

And because of the way the store exits are set up, and where Personal Stylist Lady and B were standing as this back-and-forth played out, Personal Stylist Lady is denied a quick flounce to the nearest exit (B was in the way). Instead, she had to do the Flounce of Shame, the long way, past all the other departments, to get to the front exit.
      The Flounce of Shame? I like that. I'm going to use that.
      "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
      Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

It's clearance, lady. If you don't buy it now, someone else will. You snooze, you lose.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I hate people who think they own the world. I also hate people who have the time to spend picking out a bunch of items but apparently don't have the time to either pay for them right away, or to go to the bank to get money out or put money in.

You want 'em? You buy 'em now, nobody cares who you are or what you do (or used to do) for a living.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Oh sheesh we had a couple like that-would put stuff by to be collected and paid for later.We gave them a week max(as a charity store,we could be a little generous).If we don't see you,it gets put out.And still they'd come back-'the items I put aside-where are they?'We put them back on the shelf.Because you put them aside A MONTH AGO!! We are not left-luggage where items sit and wait for the day you will come and get them...
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Oh, but she's a PERSONAL STYLIST. Not only that, but she has WORKED IN RETAIL MANAGEMENT BEFORE and she KNOWS HOW THESE THINGS WORK. She demands that we call our manager, which we do. Unsurprisingly, B, with better things to do than reiterate a policy that even the newest of newbies can parrot verbatim, just tells us to tell this woman no, then hangs up.
              Actually, the proper response is: "So you're a personal stylist? Good for you. Do you want a fucking cookie? No? Bugger off then..."

But seriously, I'd love to know what goes through the minds of some people. Er, actually, I'd rather not! Much like playing the "lawyer" card, or rambling on about how much cash they spend in the store, or other "threats" they never seem to have as much weight as they think they do
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

What exactly is a "Personal Stylist"? I'm confused as to if it's like a "Personal Shopper" that you pay (vs. the ones high-end stores supply for free), or if it has something to do with hair.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                  What exactly is a "Personal Stylist"? I'm confused as to if it's like a "Personal Shopper" that you pay (vs. the ones high-end stores supply for free), or if it has something to do with hair.
                  I think it's someone who makes a celebrity look good.

ETA: Apparently not just for celebrities anymore: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_stylist
                  Last edited by siskaren; 11-10-2013, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                    But seriously, I'd love to know what goes through the minds of some people...
                    Beautiful barbershop harmony, NSFW The Fugs - Wide Wide River
                    Quoth sirwired View Post
                    What exactly is a "Personal Stylist"?
                    They style your personals?
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      "This desperate plea for love needs more panache if you're going to publish it in OUR newspaper, sir!"
                      "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
                      Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        "Single <ethnicity> she-beast seeks toady for worship, adoration, and outings to whine and complain about how all of the rules should not apply to Her Beastliness."
                        "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          It's clearance, lady. If you don't buy it now, someone else will. You snooze, you lose.
                          Yes, and that's exactly the point. She knew the stuff would be gone by the next day, which is why she wanted the hold.

And the reason not to do the hold is becuase she might not show up and you end up with excess inventory you have to account for to the DM.

Geez. I've NEVER worked in retail and even I get this.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                            For those who don't/can't click on weblinks for some random reason:

A personal stylist is someone who basically helps you renovate your whole wardrobe, according to fashion tastes and/or your body type. For instance, if you're looking for something more business-y, they'd help put together some outfits for the office. If you're looking for something more party-y, they might do that too.

My local mall has this as an option, where you can book personal stylists for up to 3 hours at a time. That said, the MALL hires out the stylists and keeps them on a fairly short leash-you mistreat the store clerks, buh-bye!
                            (they also do not come cheap-$90 for 1 hour, $280 for 4 hours. If you want, they can even review your entire wardrobe for $280 + an extra sixty on top of that.)
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                              ...A personal stylist is ...
                              an up-market fluffer.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X