This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The store is an appalling mess...

...and there's not a lot we can do about it.

Customers have completely trashed the place. Fabric bolts are all messed up, placed where they don't belong, or thrown on the floor. Customers look at dozens of bolts and leave the ones they don't want on the floor or dumped on top of other merchandise displays. One of the AMs spent an hour straightening the holiday quilting fabrics at the front of the store and making it picture-perfect, only to have a SC go through it, throwing bolts of fabric on the floor here and there and leaving it looking like a garbage heap.

I spend most of my time running around putting fabric away and trying to straighten shelves, and constantly interrupted by customers. Half the questions could be answered if the customer would turn around and look, the other half regard things that I have little knowledge of. They're disgusted that I don't know about every craft or hobby our store caters to. That's because I have to work for a living, have a family to care for and don't have the time, money or energy to peruse every hobby known to mankind. And so many people want to start some fancy new project, but they don't know how to do it, what kind of fabric to use, or how much (naturally, they never bother to take measurements of whatever they're working on.), what other materials they need, etc. Yet if I don't know exactly what they want, I'm the idiot.

Most of the mess could be avoided if people would pay attention to what the hell they're doing, and return things back to their allotted shelf space if they don't want them, rather than throw them on the floor or ditch them somewhere else in the store. "Yeah, I'm making a mess, but it's your job security!" cry the SCs. No, no it's not, and I'll tell you why. We only have so many payroll hours a week. The vast majority of which have to be spent serving customers, with only a few allotted for cleaning. The horrid mess the store is in is well beyond the cleaning hours we have. If we spend more time cleaning, there's less time to serve customers. If customers don't get speedy service, they walk out without buying anything. If too many customers walk out, we don't make enough money and our hours get cut. So no, you trashing the store =/= job security.

I would love to be able to bring in a dozen coworkers after hours to just go through and straighten the place out. I'm sure we can get it looking as beautiful as it was the day before opening day within 6-8 hours. And it'll stay looking that beautiful until...let's see...about an hour after opening the next day.

Yes, I'm aware that cleaning the store is an exercise in futility. But it's embarrassing to work in a place that out of order. And there's no need for such an awful mess if people could only be a little more careful.

Of course, you know the SCs who make the biggest mess complain the most about the condition of the store, as well.
    Last edited by XCashier; 11-14-2013, 01:20 AM.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

People are pigs. Throwing fabric on the floor is childish and unnecessary. They have nowhere so important to go that they can't take 5 seconds and put it back.

Comment

Wow. Whenever I'm in a fabric store I'm always paranoid about putting the bolts back and making SURE the fabric doesn't drag on the ground when/if I have to unwind it a bit to get a better idea of how the fabric looks/flows/drapes.

I'd be pissed if I picked up a bolt to find the first half a yard was dirty and gross because people threw it/dragged it along the dirty/dusty floor.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

You are so right about the job security thing. All the mess does is make my back hurt worse. It doesn't make my paycheck any bigger.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

And, this little gem:
          "You have to sell it to me at this price...it was on the rack with that 50% off sign!!" Yeah? So I have to sell you the $4 item for $20 because it was on THAT rack too? No? Yeah, it never seems to work that way....
          I no longer fear HELL.
          I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
            They have nowhere so important to go that they can't take 5 seconds and put it back.
            Try telling that to an SC
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

People are pigs. I will go clean out the dressing rooms and stuff is just heaped in a pile on the floor. Really? I get that we hang things a certain way, and fold with a clipboard, but it goes a long way when a customer actually puts stuff back on hangers, or gently folds it. Most do, but there are some who just think we are there to clean up their messes.

Even before I worked in retail i never left anything like that. I'd hang it or fold it, and put it on the rack, if there was one.

Comment

Fabric..bolts...floor....I uhhh...why?

Why, why would people be mean to the nice fabric ladies?! I just can't arrrgh!

Rawr quilter smash!
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Why? Because, at least in their entitled minds, they can. Let me third the fact that people are pigs. Don't believe me? Take a look at my counters after morning rush. No, wait, make that my counters and the floors around them, because people are piggish enough to get coffee on the floor, too. Yeah. People are pigs.
                  "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

We had some of those people in the library tonight - when I went to do "clean-up" in the children's room, I found random books stacked in piles on the shelves.....not sure if it was customers or co-workers trying to be helpful, but it still made for a big mess to clean up.

Comment

And sadly, it's not just the initial pigs. Some people who might not be so inclined will come along afterwards and spill or drop something and then not clean up after themselves because the floor/counter/etc. is already a mess.

Comment

Working...
                      X