This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Should Have Called CNN . . .

I've heard some downright petty complaints over the years but this one I heard this morning at work I'd have to say is probably the dumbest . . . so far.

I posted a bit on FB during my lunch about it, so a couple of you have already read about it. For those of you who aren't FB buddies, or haven't checked back, here's what went down . . .

I was out on the drink/chip/snack aisle changing prices this morning (new ad day, of course) when this older man walked up the aisle w/his cart and basically blew my mind.

Cast of characters:

DG - Me, of course

OF - Old Fart nosy guy

Old Fart came up the aisle w/his cart and stopped.

OF: Excuse me, I hate to be nosy but I saw somebody outside putting a bag of trash in one of your cans and I don't think it's right

DG: *WTF* Well, Sir, I think I'd rather people be putting their trash in the cans rather than throwing it out into the parking lot. That is what the trash cans are for, after all.

OF: I know but this wasn't a little bag, this was more like a big bag like they brought it from home. You'd think people would have trash cans at home to get rid of their trash . . .

DG: Well, maybe their cans are full at home, who knows? *shrugs*

Old Fart wanders up the aisle and I just shook my head.

I mean, really, of all the things you could think of that are worthwhile to complain about and you picked this????

If you really wanted to be "outraged" about it, call Channel 2 news or CNN.

Several of us had a good laugh during the day over that . . .
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

I've known of people who would throw away old furniture or large bags in dumpsters, which if police caught you could get you arrested for dumping and/or trespassing.

But I agree that a bag like this is quite petty. I bet the guy probably had a really messy car and decided to clean it out.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Maybe they're not from around there? Could be they're used to the rules and laws from where they live.

Around here, you're not allowed to dump a large bag of trash. You need to use your own service for that. It's the same as walking up to a dumpster that you don't have permission for (illegal). A small bag, sure, whatever. If it's obvious you're taking advantage of it, then no, since businesses are usually required to pay for the service (where I live, anyway).

He was trying to be helpful at least XD lol

Comment

I hear ya, and I agree with you. If the trash can exploded minutes later, I would have been thanking the guy though. At least the old guy meant well.

Comment

It was nice of him to let you know.

Yeah, I can't think of any state where you can just dump your personal trash into whatever dumpster you want. I have to stop people all the time; they think open top dumpster = time to clean out the garage! Uh, no, we have to PAY to have it hauled based on weight!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Companies that have to pay to have their trash removed usually aren't too happy about private citizens using their trash bins as convenient disposals. It wasn't a big issue, compared to some here, but yeah, I agree the guy was trying to be helpful.

Comment

Kind of reminds me of a Slappy Squirrel cartoon where her neigbor gets uptight over a drink can.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

OF was a busybody, is all.

People couldn't use our Dumpsters out back to dump their big bags of trash, since the open end was only open to the trash chute inside, in the back of the club. Didn't stop people from dumping in our regular wastebins when they could. Like the little troll that dumped their old textbooks.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  It was nice of him to let you know.

Yeah, I can't think of any state where you can just dump your personal trash into whatever dumpster you want. I have to stop people all the time; they think open top dumpster = time to clean out the garage! Uh, no, we have to PAY to have it hauled based on weight!
                  That's what I was thinking.

Not that he was trying to be a jerk, but that he was letting the store know that a customer was using the store's trash for their own personal dump. I mean trash pickup isn't free... so when people decide to not pay for their own and start dumping it into retail trash bins or dumpsters... it just passes the cost on to the store. And then the extra costs get pushed onto the customers.

Really it's no different than if the trash-dumper had gone to a neighbor's house and put his trash bag next to their trash cans to make them pay for his pickup service. Except that they'd be more apt to call him out on it.
                  Last edited by PepperElf; 06-28-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I would have thanked the guy. I am so sick of emptying the cans at work then having some loser clean out their car and fill it back up. Sometimes its like lifting a dead body its so heavy.

My boss had to call and have the dumpster emptied this week when it wasnt due until next week because of people cleaning their cars out.

And yes I do tell people that the trash can is not there for that when I see them cleaning out their cars.

Comment

Working...
                    X