This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
    Me: I don’t make commission, I get paid by the hour regardless of how much customers spend in here. It doesn’t affect me at all.
    Loved this line right here! way to put the EW in his place!
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Kid at the convenience store up the road from mine sold a pack of cigarettes to a sixteen-year old boy two years ago.

A sixteen-year old boy working for the local sheriff's office.

He received a $3,000 fine, thirty days community service and a year's probation. And was fired on the spot.

Every kid I tell that story says, "Well, the company pays the fine, right?"

And I smile, a kind smile, and I say, "No, the company has its own fine to pay, that's all you, kid."
      I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post

SC: Come on. One friend to another. It’s not going to affect you, is it? Let’s just pretend we didn’t have this conversation.
        One friend to another? Since when does a friend ask a friend to risk their job by doing something illegal?

He needs a new dictionary, obviously.

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I'd have been tempted to go

"Alright, I'll serve you... *pause just long enough so that thet think they are triumphant*..water."

I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

When I did cigarette training, I was always told that the fine was $5000 for the person and then $20,000 for the corporation. So the distinction between a personal fine and the corporation fine was clear.

Thankfully I will hopefully be moving into an environment that doesn't deal with age restrictions! (apart from the "no your 3-week-old baby cannot enrol into a waterbabies class ")
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I have my job because my predecessor didn't ID people and got caught in a sting.

You better believe I card almost everyone.

Comment

Oh believe me, the Mall-Wart I worked at let us know exactly how much of a fine we'd get and that it was OUR responsibility to pay that fine and do our time.. without Mall-Wart. We'd be fired on the spot.

If the person didn't have gray hair and lots of wrinkles, I carded.

Sorry, lady with 3 kids under the age of 5, you don't fit my idea of "over 45." I need an ID. No, I don't care that you have three kids and need the booze for your baby-daddy. I've seen 16 year-olds with 3 kids. No, your WIC voucher doesn't count as ID. Seriously. Did you drive here? You got your driver's license? Oooh, you really aren't 21... yeah, no. No booze for you. Me? Oh, yes, I'm over 21, by 4 years actually. Not that it matters. This transaction isn't happening. No, I will not "help a sister out." If you were related to me, I sure as hell wouldn't sell you booze no matter your age. My kin don't need booze to be idiots. *take booze and put under counter and flag CSM*

Yeah, I went through this conversation quite a bit in the single year I worked there. In one case, there was an off duty cop behind the girl in question. He congratulated me on not selling to her. Though two cashiers were caught and fired for it during that year...
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I had a horrible moment when I was working at the supermarket. I couldn't quite bring myself to ID a colleague who did look 20ish - the only thing I could rely on was that I'd seen her selling alcohol to customers without shouting out to a colleague for the ID (the way most places around here allow 17 and younger to do tills).

I still wonder though. Luckily I never got picked up on it... Stupid in retrospect - I should have just ID'd her.
                  I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
                    Hahahaha you handled that just perfectly. Hope they got denied at the rival pub too!
                    I'm sure they did. Alcohol is a pretty big cash cow and no one wants to lose their license to sell it much less have to pay a fine.

In Salem all pubs and bars have a whistleblower policy whereby you will be banned from all pubs if you cause a problem at just one of them.

Comment

That sounds like the pubwatch thing that CRML has across the pond...
                      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
                        primarily Trading Standards, actually. As you might expect from the name, Trading Standards are in charge of keeping businesses honest. (I am related to a retired TSO, so know a bit about what they do.)
                        Up until I left the police 9 months ago the police ran the alcohol test purchases and trading standards ran the tobacco test purchases in my part of the world, hence my reply.
                        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Had a row once with a woman who came to my till, put her shopping down, then as I started ringing it through two young girls came up as well caryring two bottles of a kind of alcopop thing that we sell.
                          The woman asked the girls - right in front of me - "You got what you wanted?"
                          One of the girls said "Yes, this is the one we like best". So the woman takes it and puts it on the counter and says "This as well, please."
                          Of course, I ask for the girls' ID. They have none. The woman says "But I'm buying it!"
                          Here we go again..... "Yes but I know that you're buying it for them. Can't sell it."
                          Then she tried to deny that it was for the girls, saying that they had gone back for it because she had forgotten it. Nice try, missus, when I heard you ask them if they had got what they wanted.
                          Cue cbf, lots of arguing, wanting to see the manager etc. Along comes B, who tells them no they aren't getting the bottles, we don't want a hefty fine thanks all the same. Woman calls me an interfering bitch and stomps out with the girls, leaving all her shopping behind.
                          B calls the store a few doors down to give them a heads up, in case they try their luck there.

Guess what? They did. Guess what they got told?
                          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                            B calls the store a few doors down to give them a heads up, in case they try their luck there.

Guess what? They did. Guess what they got told?
                            Isn't it cute how they assume that we don't know each other and don't tell each other what's going on?
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                              Isn't it cute how they assume that we don't know each other and don't tell each other what's going on?
                              And yet only in these situations; for any other issues, we're all supposed to be telepathically linked with identical policies
                              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                                *snip*
                                Then she tried to deny that it was for the girls, saying that they had gone back for it because she had forgotten it. Nice try, missus, when I heard you ask them if they had got what they wanted.
                                *snip*
                                Also gotta love it when they think you can turn on selective deafness/amnesia and forget what you heard maybe 30 seconds ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X