Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was to get carded anytime in the future, the clerk in question will probably get tackle-hugged . . .

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
      If I was to get carded anytime in the future, the clerk in question will probably get tackle-hugged . . .
      [flutters eyelashes] May I see some photoID Miss? [Braces himself]

Comment

*tackle-hug!!!* I luff chu!

Comment

I don't smoke, drive, or drink, but there are some stores that ask for ID if I pay with my debit card, and I've been carded while buying R-rated movies or video games, so I keep my ID in my purse and take my purse with me everywhere, just in case. The only exception is when I want snacks from the corner store, have enough cash in my pockets, and can't find my purse.
          It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doing it! -- Julio Scoundrel, Order of the Stick

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
            What annoys (and also amuses) me is when a petulant SC whines, "But I come here allll the time and you allllways ask me for ID!"

Well then, sugarcube, if you come here all the time and I always ID you, then aren't you a silly sausage for not having your ID ready? Seeing as I always ID you, and all.
            This...This just makes me make note of them, and be sure to ID them as often as I possibly can. I'm kind of vindictive like that. It's along the same lines as slowing down when someone tells me to hurry the f up, they're late.

ETA: Jester, I'm not sure if I've said this before, but I freakin love you. I wish I had more customers like you. In fact, I like to sort of praise the ones that react well to being carded, etc. Just a simple "Hey, I like that reaction" or something, when someone gets excited about being carded. Makes 'em smile every time!
            Last edited by BrenDAnn; 06-14-2012, 12:34 AM.
            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

You can always tell the ones that are Wayyyy older than those that need to be carded. If I haven't seen them before, I'll ask for ID. The way their face lights up tells me that they are indeed old enough. So then I say "Did I just make your day?" I always get a "Yes you did! Thank you!!!!" in return.

And then, just 'cause I have a weird sense of humor, I'll sometimes tell the person who is clearly over 60 (or 70 or 80) "I'm gonna need to see some ID for this wine" or "Are you SURE you're old enough to drink?" That generates lots of giggles and thanks from the little old ladies ;-)

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                Haha, I loved the people who would get mad about not having ID or being carded, and if they weren't already on their phone, they'd dial someone up and on their way out the door be stomping and whining all petulantly "Man I fucking just got carded!"
                I'm guessing most who do that were really sent uncover to test you.

Comment

No, Estil, if they're working undercover, for a sting operation, they HAVE to present their ID. At least that's how it works here in Iowa. The ones that stomp and cuss are just immature and ignorant.
                  "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                    No, Estil, if they're working undercover, for a sting operation, they HAVE to present their ID. At least that's how it works here in Iowa. The ones that stomp and cuss are just immature and ignorant.
                    But that would be too easy! Nobody would fall for that...would they?

Comment

Quoth Estil

But that would be too easy! Nobody would fall for that...would they?
                      I once had a 16 year old try to buy cigs from me. I asked her for her ID and she actually handed it to me. I knew she looked underage so I double and triple checked the DOB and then told her 'I'm sorry, I can sell these to you.' She looked kinda disappointed and left. But afterwards my mind was reeling. She really thought I'd sell her the cigs if she was 16?!
                      Last edited by dragon_wings; 06-15-2012, 07:09 PM.
                      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                        I once had a 16 year old try to buy cogs from me.
                        I know this was just a typo now, but my first thought was, "Dragon Wings works for Mr. Spacely?"

Comment

Quoth PatchO'Black

I know this was just a typo now, but my first thought was, "Dragon Wings works for Mr. Spacely?"
                          Damn you autocorrect! Lol. I've gone back and fixed it. I'm glad my autocorrect fail can bring you some amusement. ^_^
                          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                            Jester, I'm not sure if I've said this before, but I freakin love you. I wish I had more customers like you.
                            Not sure if you have, but that doesn't mean you can't continue to tell me. Please, help feed my starving ego.

And I like to think I am a pretty good customer. I usually provide sales clerks with at least a few laughs. If for no other reason than, when I can't find something or I need help, I'll start the conversation with, "Hi, I'm an idiot...can you help me?"

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                            And then, just 'cause I have a weird sense of humor, I'll sometimes tell the person who is clearly over 60 (or 70 or 80) "I'm gonna need to see some ID for this wine" or "Are you SURE you're old enough to drink?" That generates lots of giggles and thanks from the little old ladies ;-)
                            This is true, and I've done this. Bunch of elderlies at my bar or table, if they clearly have a sense of humor, sometimes just for the hell of it, when they order drinks, I'll look one of the ladies in the eye and say, "Ma'am, do you have ID?" They LOVE it.

Alternatively, sometimes when it's a mixed group (different ages, that is), and I card the youngsters, one of the older folks might say something like, "Hey, how come you didn't card me?" To which I'll turn to them with a hurt look on my face and say, "Really? You and I were doing tequila shots last night, and you don't remember? I'm offended." 99% of the time, that gets laughs, and diffuses any potential awkwardness. (The other 1% are either douchebags or too sensitive or too serious.)

Quoth Estil View Post
                            I'm guessing most who do that were really sent uncover to test you.
                            Unlikely. From what I've gathered, having talked to people who work for the state's alcohol board (and from our regular alcohol awareness seminars), underage undercover operatives are generally told to behave and not be assholes, but merely go into a place and attempt to purchase alcohol.

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                            That may be the case in Iowa, but as we know, different states have different laws. For example, here in Florida, the operatives will go in and attempt to order a beverage. Either the server/bartender will bring them said beverage (fail) or ask for ID (pass). At which point the operative will present their actual ID (in other words, showing that they are not 21), and the server/bartender will either serve them the drink, having not done the math right or simply ignored the fact that they are not of age (fail), or will deny them the drink (pass).

I once had a 16 year old try to buy cigs from me. I asked her for her ID and she actually handed it to me. I knew she looked underage so I double and triple checked the DOB and then told her 'I'm sorry, I can sell these to you.' She looked kinda disappointed and left. But afterwards my mind was reeling. She really thought I'd sell her the cigs if she was 16?!
                            Had pretty much the exact same thing happen to me, except for it was an 18 year old guy trying to buy a beer. And his ID showed that he was 18. "I'm sorry, sir, but you're 18, and I can't sell you that beer. You have to be 21." To which he said nothing, out his ID away, and walked out the door. Now that I think about it, that might have been an undercover operative. Either that or he was a blithering idiot, because it was just so blatant. But the more I think about it, other than his somewhat surly nature, that probably WAS an operative, since he definitely looked older than his age. Hmmm....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Maybe she thought she was in England, several years ago when the minimum age was sixteen.

I remember working the day after the law was changed and the new minimum age became eighteen. XD "But I'm SIXTEEN!" "Heh, you have to be eighteen now and you already told me you're sixteen."
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Maybe she thought that if she just handed you the ID without fuss then you wouldn't spend much time looking at it as you would just assume it was legit?

Comment

Working...
                                X