This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some things you shouldn't buy used...

A man comes into the pawn shop today and puts a bag down on the counter and asked how much for this. As I walked over, I asked "what is it?" He responds, "It's a breast pump." I stop immediately and say, "We don't take personal items." He assures me, it's used but it still works. I tell him, that I don't take them and he yells "WHY?". I respond "We don't take them, we don't deal in anything like this, and I don't want it". He looked extremely offended, but the other customers around were either giggling at him or had looks of disgust on their faces.

He also wanted to sell a rusted weight bench which I also didn't want. He didn't understand why and asked, What the "hell" I took and I simply responded, "look around" as I walked off.

There isn't a main focus, but there are some things I would rather not purchased used. All my customers had a good laugh out of it, I guess that's why they hang out here all the time, you never know what will come in the doors..

Now, maybe if it was an antique or gold plated.. but still.. ewww

Comment

Quoth bubblelittlepally View Post
      A man comes into the pawn shop today and puts a bag down on the counter and asked how much for this. As I walked over, I asked "what is it?" He responds, "It's a breast pump." I stop immediately and say, "We don't take personal items." He assures me, it's used but it still works. I tell him, that I don't take them and he yells "WHY?". I respond "We don't take them, we don't deal in anything like this, and I don't want it". He looked extremely offended, but the other customers around were either giggling at him or had looks of disgust on their faces.

He also wanted to sell a rusted weight bench which I also didn't want. He didn't understand why and asked, What the "hell" I took and I simply responded, "look around" as I walked off.

There isn't a main focus, but there are some things I would rather not purchased used. All my customers had a good laugh out of it, I guess that's why they hang out here all the time, you never know what will come in the doors..
      Depending on type, it might actually be ok. Most breast pumps are diaphram types wherebthe tubes connect direct to the pump, and you can't pass them on to another user. But there's a high end type where the pump is basically an arm or something that swings back and forth. You clip a plastic piston assembly to it, and that's what the hoses attach to. When one mom is done with the pump, you throw out all the hoses, piston, etc, get new ones and it's ready to rock for the next mom. Due to being able to use a better motor (since you don't have to toss the motor after one user), it's also one of the better ones, and it's what you'll see in hospitals, etc.

You don't want to deal in them either way, because it's way too specialized, but there is a case where it wouldn't be insane to deal in a used breast pump.

Also, you can tell I have kids, can't you?
      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

It could have been worse...he could have been trying to pitch things from the Doc Johnson Catalog. EEEEEEWWWWW!!!!
        Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
          Depending on type, it might actually be ok. Most breast pumps are diaphram types wherebthe tubes connect direct to the pump, and you can't pass them on to another user. But there's a high end type where the pump is basically an arm or something that swings back and forth. You clip a plastic piston assembly to it, and that's what the hoses attach to. When one mom is done with the pump, you throw out all the hoses, piston, etc, get new ones and it's ready to rock for the next mom. Due to being able to use a better motor (since you don't have to toss the motor after one user), it's also one of the better ones, and it's what you'll see in hospitals, etc.

You don't want to deal in them either way, because it's way too specialized, but there is a case where it wouldn't be insane to deal in a used breast pump.

Also, you can tell I have kids, can't you?
          Maybe that's the type I see so often at garage sales. Gotta admit, not knowing about them (or at least, more recent ones) I always thought it not something to buy used either.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

The breast pump may have been something that you would not have sold easily but it should have been ok to resell. Mine was a double pump and it came from my sister in law. I just replaced the part that actually touches the breast and gets milk on it and it was good to go. Way cheaper then buying new or even renting one. After I was done with it I passed it on to a friend and I think she just sterilized the parts that I used and didn't even bother to buy a new cup thing. And as far as I know she passed it on as well. You can rent them from hospitals and such so I would guess as long as you replace or sterilize the cup part that actually touches the milk it is ok to use it if it has been used. I know it seems gross to handle something that someone's bodily fluids have touched but breastmilk is not super toxic, it is quite yummy. Not that I tasted mine or anything.....

Comment

Still, though, avoiding that whole range of products is best if you're either not an expert or don't want to get into endless arguing over why you take this but not that.

A weight bench seems like it would be a pretty good thing to buy used... but only if it's in good condition, and rusty doesn't qualify. People are always buying new exercise equipment and then losing interest, so they should be a lot cheaper used while still being new in the practical sense. But then, that's a good reason an individual might want to buy a used one, and might even be a reason a pawn shop *wouldn't* want it. Low sale value plus fairly large space requirement isn't, I imagine, a winning combination.
              Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Dude is selling a USED breast pump?!! He's really a moron for not knowing why people won't take it and it's for one reason: SANITARY REASONS!! I mean who knows where it's been and if the user had any transmittable diseases (yes, there's some diseases that can be passed from the breast milk).
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

While the dude is an idiot for not knowing why people won't want a used breast pump, he IS a dude, so you can kind of see that.

However, a rusty weight bench? Hello? HELLO? Yeah, I can see THAT selling. Oh, everyone who wants to get in shape or is shape but wants to life weights certainly wants a bench that is deteriorating and may collapse under them at any moment while they are lifting 250 pounds over their head.

Duh.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Funny to think that a few centuries ago wetnurses were employed.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      Funny to think that a few centuries ago wetnurses were employed.
                      They still are in some countries. In fact, from memory, in China, during the tainted milk scandal, the salary of wet nurses went right up.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Western Australia has wet nurses available through the hospital system, as is expressed breast milk.

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
                          Western Australia has wet nurses available through the hospital system, as is expressed breast milk.
                          expressed breast milk I understand (I really wish they'd run a system in SA), but wet nurses? Seriously? What's the salary like?
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I know some places re-sell them used, but they're not pawn shops. The item isn't gross, but the idea of refurbishing it is. We deal in guns, electronics, tools, games, and musical instruments mostly. I'll probably carry anything that we can make money on or if it's really cool, but I just can't see anyone wanting this item. I wouldn't have taken it new in the box either. If it was sitting on the shelf, I know my customers would be grossed out by it and people would ask me if it was mine.. which I really don't want to go there. We're also not a large store so a weight bench just would take up too much space.

Most people are cool with me not wanting to buy something and telling them I really don't teal in those items is enough. The best part of this story was him getting upset and yelling "WHY".

Comment

Quoth pageantmama View Post
                              After I was done with it I passed it on to a friend and I think she just sterilized the parts that I used and didn't even bother to buy a new cup thing.
                              Aren't the cups silicone these days? Very easy to boil up and sterilize. (I don't have kids, my best friend does and she pumps.) But I doubt that the guy in the story, since he didn't understand the problem, would have sterilized the thing before bringing it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X