This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth reimero View Post
    The response to that is to smile and say, "that's great! When is your food pantry open? It appears I may have trouble affording groceries this month, and could really use the help!"
    The best response to a situation like that. Hopefully shame the inconsiderate (if allegedly well-intentioned) person who accepted the delivery.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
      Here is what they really don't realize: Having stuff of that nature can potentially get you fired, if someone with issues sees it and reports it. It doesn't even matter what religion it is, someone will be offended!

Most are well meaning, but I wish they'd actually think about the people's work situation before pushing their literature.
      THIS always happens at my mall. For YEARS, we think we know who, has been leaving pamphlets, tracts and booklets around the public area like benches and tables. But recently they've begun leaving them on stores displays, tucked in with a store's flyers, etc. This makes it look like the store associates itself with one group or another when they don't. And I checked, the store never gave permission, so I offer to gather up the stuff for them. It's gotten to be such an insane amount of paper that I put it in recycle. I cannot believe that I've never been able to catch these guys in the act; they're like ninjas!
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Perhaps, at least if the literature is from a Christian-type religion, one might ask if they are familiar with Jesus saying one should render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and then reminding them that it applies to business transactions as well. Would probably work best if one works for Little Caesar's...

More seriously, if the literature specifies a particular church, maybe one should discretely contact them, and let them know one of their flock is using religion as an excuse to avoid tipping. Might make for an interesting sermon on Sunday!

Comment

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
          As a server, I've heard horror stories from my coworkers. Thankfully, the one time I was given a religious pamphlet, it wasn't in place of a tip. I got money, too. However, a couple of my coworkers told me that some people would come in, rack up a $100some bill, and then only leave the religious pamphlet.
          When I worked as a server they used to cleverly disguise the pamphlets as $5 bills. Meaning it had a picture of a $5 bill on one side and the religious writings on the other side. Cheapskates would fold them and tuck them under a cup so it looked like they left a $5 tip until you picked it up and realised you'd been shafted again.

Comment

Quoth It shouldn't View Post
            When I worked as a server they used to cleverly disguise the pamphlets as $5 bills. Meaning it had a picture of a $5 bill on one side and the religious writings on the other side. Cheapskates would fold them and tuck them under a cup so it looked like they left a $5 tip until you picked it up and realised you'd been shafted again.
            Ugh, these are the worst. I hate those pamphlets.

I would occasionally get handed a pamphlet by some of the shoppers at the wholesale club. If I was feeling polite, I'd take it, set it aside, and throw it away when they were gone. If I wasn't feeling polite-- usually due to lack of sleep, or because they were being especially obnoxious about their "spreading the good word"-- I'd toss the pamphlet onto the shelf behind me without even looking at it. But I still wouldn't throw it away until they were gone.

Sometimes the pamphlets were Chick Tracts, which at least provided some amusement.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I agree that the pamphlet disguised as money is a bad idea. Deception is a poor way to introduce someone to a religion.

Comment

Quoth PatchO'Black View Post
                I agree that the pamphlet disguised as money is a bad idea. Deception is a poor way to introduce someone to a religion.
                This, do the people who insist on fake-money tipping and pamphleteering all over the place realize that bugging people and pissing them off doesn't make for good converts?

I've never met another person who just once said "Ya know, I wasn't seriously considering (insert religion) until they just pestered me enough, then I was hooked!"
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Agreed. But there are people I know (me included) who've been known to say "I was curious about their faith until they wouldn't stop pestering me about it."
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

A sad fact of life is that some people are either too ignorant to know that some people live off their tips and other people flat-out don't care.

My roommate works for a crap factory named Bave and Dusters (names changed to protect the guilty) and he had one of the worst weekends ever last Saturday and Sunday. Not a single table tipped him. They were all loudmouthed urban assholes from Northeast Philly.

He's finally scouting around for new jobs today... he's good at his job so I don't doubt he'll find something. He hates working for the place he's at now. Too many no-class cheap scumbags.

edit: when I was delivering pizzas I usually did pretty well as we went mostly to a fairly upper-scale area. The only time I knew I might be in trouble was when a kid answered the door. I learned quickly to take their money and then address them as such: "How much change did you want back?" That would at least make them stop and think. Some of them would just try to keep it all for themselves but sometimes they would realize they were meant to tip us. I really wish I hadn't kept my mouth shut as much as I did when I got stiffed. Just once I would have liked to have said "You realize delivery drivers live off our tips, right?" Some people just don't give a shit.
                    Last edited by An Haddock; 06-27-2012, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                      I'm curious, is that true also for hotel people like bell boys and such? And bartenders? If so I like it.
                      Definitely bartenders. I've never stayed in a hotel where I needed a busboy, so I couldn't tell you.

Certainly in the UK there is no work for less than minimum wage.
                      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I still think about creating my OWN pamphlets to swap when I get their hate literature pamplets.

Comment

Quoth PatchO'Black View Post
                          I don't think they would be happy if those fake money pamphlets ended up in their collection plate.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth static
                            Heh, this reminds me of a time I was flyering for a local metal gig. I wandered into a new area where some people was handing out religious leaflets and they tried to give me some, so I swapped with them. That popped a few monocles
                            I will admit to scribbling "B.S." and "make up your own mind" on a few of the nastier pamphlets when I found them on the train, and then leaving them for others to find. Oh, and once I wrote "Beware false prophets" on one.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth It shouldn't View Post
                              Oh, and this? Interesting. Don't they say Satan is the Father of Lies?
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'll admit, it's true. Peace of mind is worth more than money, and adopting and believing in a religion is one way to achieve peace of mind.

Not that performing a valuable service, hoping for some compensation, but instead receiving an excuse combined with a tract is going to actually encourage you to join that religion. Nor will it grant you any peace of mind some other way.

I could comment some more on this, but it would completely devolve into fratching.

Comment

Working...
                                X