This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Temporary Move to Austin, TX

I was supposed to start a job in my lovely home state of New Jersey, but due to some complications it's getting pushed back a few months. In the mean time, my company is going to most likely send me to Austin, TX for the time in between.

Any members nearby that can fill me in on what the area is like? I'm trying to not go by stereotypes. The heat is no big deal. If I can survive 130F heat, Texas will be no problem. Just praying there's some decent rock stations. Country music makes me want to slit my wrists.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Austin is the music capital of texas, lots of options. What part of austin or do you know yet? My sister has lived there for 12 years so...hmmm alamo drafthouse for movies. Sugar mama's bakery for yummy food.

Comment

In Austin? It's actually a pretty big music scene (see SXSW). And for more than country. Lots of things to see and do. Alamo Drafthouse is supposed to be fun (calling it dinner and a movie theater doesnt do it justice).The heat isn't so bad in Austin, compared to west Texas and where I live in College Station. If you gotta beat the heat check out Barton Springs near Zwilker Botanical Gardens. 65 degrees year round. Bring your snorkel and goggles. Trust me, it's cool.
      There's also a pretty decent gaming scene, check out Dragons Lair.
      Basically think of everything you've seen on Dallas and toss it out the window. Austin is just different. Their motto is "Keep Austin Weird".

ETA: I'm going to guess most of the country you've heard it the Toby Keith variety. Yeah, that's crap. Check out James McMurtry and the Heartless Bastards. It's really good. I like it, and I don't like country.
      Last edited by violiavampyr; 07-16-2013, 06:00 AM.

Comment

yeah west here...over a hundred most of july...but its a dry heat. Lol

Comment

Keep Austin Weird

Austin is a pretty diverse city. It is the live music capital - with all types of music. The Alamo Drafthouse movie theater started there.

Barton Springs is great. You are within a day trip of some great places to visit. One thing to remember is a Texan's idea of a day trip may be vastly different than someone from back east. Example I will drive to Austin for a day trip - from Houston for me that is a 2.5 to 3 hour trip each direction. Some of my family favorites are

Fredricksburg (German settlement) is about 2 hours. Antiquing
          Enchanted Rock
          New Braunfels and Guene (pronounced Green) Another German settlement with a huge waterpark and tubing in the river

There are a string of German and Czech/Bohemian settlements across the region. This is because Stephen F Austin recruited Catholics from that part of Europe to settle in the area, when he couldn't get enough Americans to come to Texas. The Germans and Czech/Bohemian settlements were place as a buffer between Native American groups and the Anglo/American Settlements - thinking they would be attacked first. Some of these communities used German and Czech language in their daily life including schools until WWII.

Comment

Just looked up where the office is. Looks like it's right near St. Edwards Park. I imagine they'd try to find me housing near the office.

Most of my city experiences revolve around NYC and Philly. Other than that, I suppose I've spent a fair time in Auckland, NZ and Dubai, UAE. Dubai was pretty huge. Auckland wasn't that big as far as I was concerned. Definitely a city, but not crazy densely packed like NYC/Philly.
            Last edited by Greenday; 07-16-2013, 02:26 PM.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Austin's not anywhere as big as those places. They're also very dog friendly.

Comment

St eds is my sisters alma mater!! Its a beautiful university. And yeah we measure distance in time, not miles. For instance...austin is five hours from my town...i have no idea the milage!! Lol

Comment

I only spent a small amount of time in Austin, but I can tell you it's a great city. The people there are awesome. I've never seen such a welcoming, accepting, and amazing large group of people in my life.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Just wanna pop in and wish you the best hun
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It's official. Booked my flight. Don't know how long I'll be there but I'll be moving Monday!

Comment

Welcome to Texas!!!!!

Comment

Howdy neighbor! I'm down in San Antonio, but I know a CSer or two in Austin, I'll put out feelers.

Other posters are right, Austin is such an eclectic mecca of weird, classy, sassy, trashy and a little bit crazy. I love to visit, personally, but been a while since I've been. The weather isn't horrid. We're hitting triple digit heat down in Texas, humidity is disgusting, but it's not that bad, and as you've said, you've survived worse.

Nightlife is huge, there are always live concerts, performances, downtown is a blast to wander.

You should do well out there. Enjoy it, and have a safe trip!

Comment

Lupo...do you have one of the "keep austin weird" t shirts? I need to get one next time im there...

Comment

Quoth Sunshine View Post
                              Lupo...do you have one of the "keep austin weird" t shirts? I need to get one next time im there...
                              My uncle was pretty much the poster child for "Keep Austin Weird". I have a few t-shirts. And tiaras and boas and such.
                              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                              X