This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty much "what they said"...plus:

For Sci-Fi, if you don't mind older stuff (which is where my knowledge is more comprehensive), how about...

Akira (obligatory mention)
    Bubblegum Crisis (quartet of women in combat suits fighting human-looking combat bots)
    Macross/Southern Cross/MOSPEADA (aka Robotech) (some focus on a major hero but still an ensemble cast) and its multiple sequel series
    Any of the myriad Mobile Suit Gundam anime (began in the 70's and still has sequel series being made) (see also note on Robotech cast)

re: Dragon Ball/DB Z (I recommend the DB Kai "rework" over standard Z, looks nicer and much much less filler) - Bleach is basically DB with swords and something closer to a plot. If you like one, you will likely enjoy the other

For other genres/just something different:

Death Note (intense focus on main chara - about a really intelligent person with the power to kill others remotely)
    Read or Die (focus on main chara, a bibliomaniac (whose name basically means "Reader Readman") who can control anything made of paper telekinetically, making it do just about *anything* she can imagine. Better than it sounds. I *strongly* recommend the OAV miniseries over the TV series)
    Last edited by EricKei; 08-03-2013, 10:53 PM. Reason: quartET not quarTER
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

These might not necessarily fit your criteria, but these are some of the ones that I enjoy:

-Slayers
      -Cardcaptor Sakura (my absolute favorite)
      -Pretear
      -Neon Genesis Evangelion
      -Inuyasha

If I think of more, I'll edit this list.

Comment

Fractale
        Hiro no Kakera
        Is This a Zombie seasons 1 and 2
        Rosario+Vampire seasons 1 and 2 (this was on Netflix)
        Humanity is Declining
        Spice and Wolf
        Heavens Lost Property
        A Certain Scientific Railgun and Magical Index
        Squid Girl
        My Bride is a Mermaid

In fairly certain that the app for CrunchyRoll is free and that you don't need to pay for the membership to watch anything. You just have to deal with occasional commercials.
        Last edited by fma_fanatic; 08-03-2013, 07:48 PM.
        Random conversation:
        Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
        DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I rather enjoyed the following when I was able to watch them (unfortunately, since Bresnan/Optimum/Charter/whatever-the-frick-they're-called-now dropped Anime Network, my resources are limited to what I can find online):

Happy Lesson
          Clannad
          Nerima Daikon Brothers
          Sailor Moon
          Card Captor Sakura
          s-CRY-ed
          Inuyasha
          Bleach
          Full Metal Alchemist
          Axis Powers Hetalia
          Vampire Knight
          Vampire Princess Miyu
          Kekkaishi
          Best Student Council
          Wandaba Style
          This Ugly Yet Beautiful World (kind of a weird one, but it's good)

A few of these, such as those last two I listed, are very short. 'Not even 20 episodes' short.

At the moment, I'm not watching anything. Now that I've finished all 12 volumes of the Sailor Moon manga, though, I kinda want to go back and rewatch the entire series.
          "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Oh yeah, and how could I forget...The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Gets quite odd at times, and is a sci-fi (ish) show hiding inside a slice-of-life "school days" show. I recommend looking up "recommended viewing order" on google first, as the order of eps via broadcast, via DVD release, and actual chronology all differ, iirc. (note - part of it is called "Endless Eight", which you may wanna just watch part of due its intentional repetitiveness)
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
              Here, this should keep you occupied for a while.

http://maihopawango.tumblr.com/post/56565265692
              I love this!

Thank you all for the suggestions. We do have CrunchyRoll on the Roku so I will be checking it out. I'm exicted now to flip through and find your suggestions!

Firecat88, I've been dying to rewatch Sailormoon since the remake announcement! No one else in the house is willing to watch it though so I have to sneak episodes in here and there after everyone is in bed.

I also did forget to include Dragonball on my watched list. I've watched all of it up to Boo, then it just got a bit too out there for me. I will agree that Kai is great for killing out a lot of the filler (and Bulma stuck on Namek) episodes.
              Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

re: Shadow's list -- Wow. I must be slipping. There must have been half a dozen of those I'd never heard of before (that last section doesn't count!). Time to rectify that ^_^

Many of the ones on there are really very good. Some it just reminded me of that I would recommend, without hesitation are:

[Kaze no Tani no] Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, badly brought to the US as Warriors of the Wind)

Sprited Away (just watch it. don't ask questions, just go buy the damn thing right now!)

Gunbuster (olde-school giant mecha)

Memories (compilation by different directors)

Comment

Agreed with EricKei about Spirited Away. Awesome film.

Comment

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
                    -Neon Genesis Evangelion
                    The series (the last 4 episodes did NOT make sense), or the "Way Evangelion should have ended" movies remake/reboot or the new reboot theatrical movies (#3 dubbed in English I believe will hit the states sometime in the next 6 months)

I have watched all of these.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    re\Sprited Away (just watch it. don't ask questions, just go buy the damn thing right now!)

)
                    ANYTHING Stuido Ghibli ANYTHING including last one I know about: The Secret World of Arietty
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

So I looked up CrunchyRoll as I hadn't heard of it before and ended up watching the first episode of Sword Art Online which was cool

So I'll be looking at more stuff on there as I haven't been able to find much anime to watch in the past.
                      Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Bard - SWO is definitely on my list of stuff to check out. For ages I thought the name referred to an MMO...Which isn't THAT far off, afaik (it's an anime set in an MMO/around its players, correct?)

Comment

Personal Faves:

Fullmetal Alchemist - Brotherhood
                          Fruits Basket
                          Death Note
                          Beserk

Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are awesome movies. Ponyo too now that Im thinking.

Watching currently:

Kenichi - The mightiest disciple and its pretty good.

Im so happy that hubby also watches Anime and we compare and contrast as we usually end up watching completely different ones. Someones we'll insist the other watch a set b/c it was so good.

Comment

The 2 shows I'm currently watching are Full Throttle Saloon and Double Divas.
                            ......../\
                            ....../__\
                            ..../\...../\
                            ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              Bard - SWO is definitely on my list of stuff to check out. For ages I thought the name referred to an MMO...Which isn't THAT far off, afaik (it's an anime set in an MMO/around its players, correct?)
                              Yup, its set in a fully immersive virtual world. The first episode was very interesting.
                              Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

We just finished/caught up on Attack on Titan. On to Princess Mononoke! (The BF just found out I haven't seen it yet and flipped out.)
                                Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Working...
                                X