Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:58 PM
Chairman of the Board

I live in a fairly large city and there are still parts of town that don't have a grocery store within easy walking/bus distance. Getting banned from one in the poorer parts of town would be a major inconvenience for someone like the blind nutjob.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth Ophbalance View Post
The problem with picking this person up as a hitchhiker is, the moment he got in the car, he would turn to you and say "If you get into an accident I'll sue you and win".
My reply: "The door is immediately to your right. Have fun walking."

Old 11-26-2013, 01:22 AM
Heavy Metal Admin

Quote:
Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
Getting banned from one in the poorer parts of town would be a major inconvenience for someone like the blind nutjob.
The thread of that was actually enough to get some whackjob with a knife to back off. The assistant manager at my old supermarket job told me a story about a time when he was working at one of the smaller stores in a bad neighborhood. He saw this guy beating up on another much smaller guy, and stepped in to break it up. The big guy then pulled a knife on him, and held it right at his throat. He told me he was scared shitless (who wouldn't be?), and for some reason, the only thing he could think to do was tell him, "Go ahead! You'll never shop here again!"

The guy put the knife away and walked out.
Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Old 11-26-2013, 02:31 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
I live in a fairly large city and there are still parts of town that don't have a grocery store within easy walking/bus distance. Getting banned from one in the poorer parts of town would be a major inconvenience for someone like the blind nutjob.
Boo. Hoo. If it came to that, there are plenty of services that will delivery groceries right to a blind person's door. If it comes down to inconveniencing an asshole, or looking out for the welfare of your employees, then I have ZERO sympathy for a belligerent, assaultive customer getting banned. Don't let the door hit you on the way out...!

Old 11-26-2013, 03:56 AM
Moderated Poster

I am well familiar with the rights of the disabled - my wife being a polio survivor. There are some "reasonable accommodations" that society does ask the rest of us to accept - such as ramps instead of curbs at crosswalks and beeping "walk/don't walk" signs.

However.

Submitting to physical assault is NOT one of them. Whatever her disability does not give her the right to treat the non-disabled as less-than-human. You have the right to ban her. And she would only have a discrimination case if she can prove you ban all people with her disability - very hard for her to prove.

Go ahead and file charges. Use the store's video as evidence. And don't fear reprisal - once a judge sees the video, (s)he will dismiss the discrimination case.
I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Old 11-26-2013, 04:25 AM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
Boo. Hoo. If it came to that, there are plenty of services that will delivery groceries right to a blind person's door. If it comes down to inconveniencing an asshole, or looking out for the welfare of your employees, then I have ZERO sympathy for a belligerent, assaultive customer getting banned. Don't let the door hit you on the way out...!
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that inconveniencing a blind person was justification to not ban hammer the hell outta the twit. I was just pointing out that even in a decent-sized city a grocery store ban could be a serious threat.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Drone

Quote:
Quoth Pixilated View Post
Her disability is irrelevant -- or should be.
Exactly! Being legally blind does not impair a persons mental state. Unless she has another mental disability, in which case she needs a carer to stop her from being violent, she KNEW EXACTLY what she was doing! Which entitles her entitled ass to a lifetime store ban and a little chat with the boys in blue.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Philosophical Tomato

I think she might have some sort of mental disability as well, although I can't prove it. Previously, she had either the other guy (who did a very good job at reining her in) or a carer with her. No idea why she decided to go solo that time.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:35 PM
High Priest to Grog-Boozith

Quote:
Quoth Ophbalance View Post
The problem with picking this person up as a hitchhiker is, the moment he got in the car, he would turn to you and say "If you get into an accident I'll sue you and win".
And that is when I'd turn to him and say, "Then this is where you get out of my car."

If I'm doing someone a favor, and the first words out of their mouth are the equivalent of "I'm a dickhead just looking for you to fuck up," then I no longer see any point in doing that person a favor.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
Still A Customer."

Old 11-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Pedestrian of the Apocalypse

Quote:
Quoth Jester View Post
And that is when I'd turn to him and say, "Then this is where you get out of my car."

If I'm doing someone a favor, and the first words out of their mouth are the equivalent of "I'm a dickhead just looking for you to fuck up," then I no longer see any point in doing that person a favor.
Same here. No second chances.

I've had friends of mine joke about throwing up or otherwise making a mess in my car-- usually just after I've cleaned it up so I can give them a ride-- and I'll tell them, "You wanna walk home?"

Which once resulted in this exchange:

Tom: "I was this.close to crapping in your car."
J2K: "And you were this.close to walking home."
Tom: "But we're in Delaware!"
J2K: "Exactly."

There are only four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!
Closed Thread