Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid

Quote:
Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
I am always amazed at how many people will respond and say nope, you don’t.
Rules and laws are more like guidelines for some people.

I volunteered at this film festival and there was a special feature involving a 360 film. Adult content. We were explicitly told that no one under 18 was allowed to watch it and this one kid insisted it was okay because she was "European and she could handle it."

I insisted I liked my two free movie tickets and sent her on her way.

Last edited by TheWolfEmperor; 08-01-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:50 PM
Philosophical Tomato

Quote:
EVOO for olive oil.
When referring to "real" olive oil (like what my store sells), terms like extra-virgin, first cold press (all good oil is cold-extracted as heat destroys the aromatic compounds), etc are meaningless. Just marketing fluff. Some of our producers do put "extravirgin" on the English-language labeling, but that's a specific quirk of the American market and it seems to placate the customers who are wedded to that "70% of olive oil is fake" report.

We use the term "EVOO" only among ourselves when communicating stock levels (I know all our brands by name but some CWs don't and it can get irritating having to say "olive oil" 5239 times) but generally this word-shortening trend drives me absolutely nuts. It doesn't work as well over a crappy radio as people seem to think--we waste more time saying "Come again?" than if the speaker had just said the whole word to begin with. Even if it's not completely clear, whole words can be gotten from context. Abbreviations not so much--especially if they sound like a different word themselves.

Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-01-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:34 PM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

I must admit to a lot of confusion when I went to a restaurant and read something on their menu about "salad with blah blah blah and evoo". No capitalization, no indication that it was an acronym. I was just stuck wondering what "evoo" (eee-vooo, I suppose?) was. I did figure it out, but it was a disconcerting minute there.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:47 AM
Deluxe Lackey

Quote:
HATE this. Sammie for sandwich, sunnies for sunglasses, EVOO for olive oil. just a few of my peeves.
"Ports" for Newports, which is at least better than the people who just say "Cigarettes" or "Shorts" and assume you know they mean Newports.

Black & Mild, a type of cigar, is often shortened to just "Black". Which is okay by itself, but "A pack of black sweets" could mean a pack of Sweet Black & Milds, or a pack of Black Sweet flavor Game cigars.

Years ago the local TV news anchor did a little editorial on the new terms he had learned over his decades of life. (He mentioned having a bit of hearing loss from standing too close to an antiaircraft gun while a young reporter in London.

"For example, 'hertigo' means 'will you be dining in out dining room, or taking your purchase to an alfresco dining location of your own selection."

Yes, he pronounced it like it rhymed with "vertigo".

Old 08-02-2019, 06:57 AM
Deluxe Lackey

This one was actually fun and not sucky at all, and I had been waiting for just such an opportunity.

Young man stops at my store in the middle of the night, "I was hoping I could get some directions?"
"Sure, where are you going?"
"I want to get back to the base."
"Okay, which base."
"Um, the Navy base?"
"Which Navy base?"
"There's more than one?"
"Oh, yeah, there's Norfolk, and NAS Norfolk, and Dam Neck, and Little Creek, and Oceana, ..."
"Oceana. That's the one."
"Oh, good. That's the easy one."

Yes, young man, you chose to go out drinking in an area that has at least Five Navy bases, including the largest naval base in the world, one Naval Shipyard, three Army bases, one Airforce Base, and a major NASA facility. Learn the name of the base where you live before you leave it.
(One of those Army bases has since been given to the Navy.)

Old 08-02-2019, 11:50 AM
Pune Massacreeist

Quote:
Quoth SpyOne View Post
..."I want to get back to the base."...
All your base are belong to us...

Old 08-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Front End Supervisor

Sammies and sunnies sounds like those Britishisms that annoy me no end. Let’s have chokkie bikkies for brekkie while we open our Chrissie pressies.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:00 PM
Paleontologist

Oh, yes. "Computer" means anything from the monitor to the actual box. "Won't turn on" means everything from "the machine has turned itself into a brick," to "I don't know how to find the power button!" "It doesn't work" is everything from a virus to "I refuse to learn how to use this very expensive status symbol I bought and expect to be magic and read my mind."

I did have a very entertaining customer back in my days of phone support. He refused to use anything but his own names, and was put out that I could not repeat them. "Inters**t Exploder," "N*tScrape,* and "Macroshaft."

Old 08-06-2019, 07:59 PM
Pedestrian of the Apocalypse

Quote:
Quoth Dragon_Dreamer View Post
Oh, yes. "Computer" means anything from the monitor to the actual box. "Won't turn on" means everything from "the machine has turned itself into a brick," to "I don't know how to find the power button!" "It doesn't work" is everything from a virus to "I refuse to learn how to use this very expensive status symbol I bought and expect to be magic and read my mind."
This is 90% of some IT calls. Deciphering what the luser means when they say the garbledegunk that comes out of their mouths. Lost count of the number of times I said (more or less), "Now when you say 'it's not working,' what exactly are you seeing it do?"

There are only four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Old 08-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
"Now when you say 'it's not working,' what exactly are you seeing it do?"
Back in the 80s, I had a TV for which I could have maybe justified a report of "It's not working." The actual description I gave the repair shop was "It acts like it's not plugged in. And I did try other outlets." The problem turned out to be a broken 110V wire.
Closed Thread