Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

You broke my car.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:51 AM
Cashier

Default You broke my car.

Woman comes in and buys a battery for he 2002 Toyota Camry. We had tested her old one and it had a bad cell.
Battery is installed and that should be the end of the story. NOPE.
They came back later because they say the car cuts off right after they start it and they have to hold their foot on the gas for it to run. And of course it's our fault.
It's late and they are told they have to come back the next day and talk to a manager, me.
Next day they come in. Now since I am not an idiot I do some research, ok I just googled it, and discovered that this is a known problem when the battery in these cars goes dead or is replaced.
Seems the throttle body gets very dirty to the point that it won't idle but the computer learns from this and adapts. Well, when the battery is disconnected the learned adaptations are lost. You either have to let it idle for a couple of min in neutral and then in gear and then rinse and repeat with the A/C on. Or, I don't know, CLEAN THE DAMN THROTTLE BODY and fix the base problem.
Nope, her man who "works on cars' proclaims that the battery it "not strong enough" and that's why it cuts off.
I explain that the battery, rated at 510CCA, is stronger than the stock 340CCA battery and go into detail about the learning procedure and cleaning the throttle body.
Nope, it's the batteries fault they want a refund and are going to go get one somewhere else.
By this time I am tired of them and just want them gone. So I tell my counter person to do the return and move them along.
I was fully expecting them to show up today and claim we damaged their car because the new battery did the same thing.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Chairman of the Board

It might yet happen ...

Old 10-04-2019, 09:47 AM
Till/horse trainer/instructor

Don’t you just love it when some moron claiming to be an expert *insert profession here* can’t understand basic concepts of the job he claims he does/knows/works in.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Gun Pimp.

Had that convo before with people who don't understand "learn idle"

Windage and Elevation.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:13 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
Had that convo before with people who don't understand "learn idle"
In all the years I've owned and worked on cars, and I was in the industry, I never heard of "learn idle."

Just goes to show you can learn something new every day.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:32 PM
Gun Pimp.

My 09 Outback runs like crap till it does. Most are not that effected.
https://itstillruns.com/car-relearn-...d-8077010.html

Windage and Elevation.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:01 AM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

At least you don't have to use a proprietary electronics tool to tell the car that it has a new battery.

... I'm so very glad that my MINI doesn't have that "IBS" (Intelligent Battery Sensor, but the medical version of that acronym works almost as well) system, so I can just replace the battery when I replace the battery...

Old 10-07-2019, 04:19 AM
Till/horse trainer/instructor

To make all you mechanics wince, when I inherited the car I have now I found out that my mother had no idea that oil was something that needed to be checked or changed, tires being rotated, or anything else that went with basic upkeep. She apparently was under the impression that unless a light went off everything was fine... yeah, that was a fun bill to get when I brought it in to see what kind of damage needed fixing. The mechanic may have walked into the back and cried...or perhaps had a shot of whiskey.

Still pissed that the car I saved up for years for got totalled because of an asshole going way over double the speed limit couldn’t stop in time. Speed limit in school zones is 30, not over 90! It was such a nice car too... ‘66 mustang.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
To make all you mechanics wince, when I inherited the car I have now I found out that my mother had no idea that oil was something that needed to be checked or changed, tires being rotated, or anything else that went with basic upkeep. She apparently was under the impression that unless a light went off everything was fine... yeah, that was a fun bill to get when I brought it in to see what kind of damage needed fixing.
I'm not a mechanic and I just did a whole-body flinch.

Quote:
Still pissed that the car I saved up for years for got totalled because of an asshole going way over double the speed limit couldnít stop in time. Speed limit in school zones is 30, not over 90! It was such a nice car too... Ď66 mustang.
That's soul-destroying.

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Gun Pimp.

Quote:

Still pissed that the car I saved up for years for got totalled because of an asshole going way over double the speed limit couldn’t stop in time. Speed limit in school zones is 30, not over 90! It was such a nice car too... ‘66 mustang.
I got hit by a truck in my IROC years ago and liked when EMS showed up, they looked at the car first and said- fuck that's sad! that car was in awesome shape, Are you ok?

Windage and Elevation.
Closed Thread