This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not enough money=no coffee

First off, let me just say I haven't been treated so poorly since I was working as a bank teller--people would yell at me right and left there, b/c obviously, their financial difficulties were MY fault. It's quite rare for me to have a pissy customer at my coffee shop though, since most customers are quite happy to have caffeine in their system.

That said, here's what happened to me today!

This middle-aged guy comes through the drive thru and orders a drink. I give him his total and meet his at the window. He hands me a couple dollars and some change, but it's less than what he owes. He then proceeds to get out of his truck and root around on its floor for change. He finds some, but it's still not enough to cover his bill.

Before I continue, I should say that my company has a strict rule that employees cannot "cover" what a customer is short, especially through the tip jar. Doing so can result in termination. It prevents customers from taking advantage, etc.

That said, this guy was about 8 cents short. I stood at the window, looking at him politely, waiting.

SC: That's all I got.
    Me: You're eight cents short.
    SC: But that's all I got! Can I have my coffee? Or should I just drive away??
    Me: I'm sorry sir, but I cannot do that.
    SC: I can't have my coffee over eight lousy cents?? *looks over my shoulder to my coworker, who is making the drink* She won't give me my coffee!!!
    Me: I'm very sorry sir, but I'm not allowed to do that.
    SC: WHAT IS YOUR NAME??
    Me: Emily.
    SC: Right, Emily, well I've been coming here every day since you guys opened, and sometimes I'm short a penny or two, but they never give me a problem! And now you're saying you won't give me my drink over eight cents? That's not very neighborly!!!
    Me: *I start apologizing, he cuts me off*
    SC: What is your name??
    (Wow, what a genius, I just told you my name.)
    Me: Emily.
    (He looks at my coworker again and demands his name)
    SC: I'm calling your manager tomorrow and reporting you! This is ridiculous!
    Me: I'm really very sorry sir.
    (He starts pulling away from the window, still yelling)
    SC: You know, you guys SUCK. YOU REALLY SUCK!!!

Wow. All that over a frakking cup of coffee. I'm sorry, I realize it's a lousy matter of cents, but I'm not about to lose my awesome job for some asshole EW. If you don't have enough damn money for coffee, then don't come through drive thru assuming the employees will help you out.

Needless to say, I marched right back to the office and called my boss and filled him in, more as a heads up than anything, should this asshole actually call. He said he'd back me up 100% if he does call to complain.

You may have noticed he told me that the employees always cover him a few cents here and there--this is exactly why those rules are in place. Unfortunately my boss is not rigid about this rule, so I wouldn't have lost my job. But, I sure as hell wasn't about to offer up my own money for this jackass.
    Here's your sign...

He doesn't want you to cover "a few cents" if he does it every time he's there. He wants to feel like he's getting special treatment because he never has to pay full price.

This guy is full of shit.

Let me get this straight, he's been coming in there since the place opened and he still doesn't know what a coffee costs? He's not embarassed to have to keep asking for favors every time he shows up, and thus never bothers to grab a few extra pennies on his way out the door?

Ooookay.

Comment

Did he drive off and leave his $2 and change with you?

CH
      Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

No I handed his money back.

For a split second I was expecting him to pull a gun out from under his seat. You know, that whole conceal and carry law in Minnesota, you never know who's got one.
        Here's your sign...

Comment

Quoth EmilyRose1982 View Post
          SC: You know, you guys SUCK. YOU REALLY SUCK!!!
          No sir, you're the customer, YOU suck!

Mike
          Meow.........

Comment

you did the right thing, whether it be for 8c or 1c - the fact is as RK said, he has an expectant spweshul snowflake attitude.

Good on your boss also for backing you up

Comment

You should ask him how many times he's been there, and how much money that adds up to. That jerk owes you guys money.

Comment

I bet if he was all of a sudden not making 8 cents per hour, he would raise a bitch fit to his boss. It's stealing, pretty much no matter how it's thrown.
                When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Was he ordering the cheapest option? if not then surely he could just change his order.
                  If I am at Starbucks and don't have enough for my normal double tall latte I will get a filter coffee and add milk (about 20p less, if I still don't have enough I go without!)

Comment

8 cents or 10 dollars short, nobody will just give you stuff! I can't stand people like that. I work at a cable company and some customers will complain about being interrupted for 15.00 even though they KNOW that they were 150.00 past due (example) and only paid 135.00.

I feel for your pain!

Comment

No sir, you're the customer, YOU suck!
                      Hahaha! If only, if only.

It's nice if you pull a brain fart and are short a couple of cents and the clerk lets you go anyway, but it should never be expected. Stupid EWs make my brain hurt.
                      "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

I'm anxious to get to work today and find out if that asshole called my boss or not.

And yeah, with all the cents that others have spotted him in the past, he probably owes us quite a bit of money by now.

Jackass.
                        Here's your sign...

Comment

What a shock--he didn't call my manager.

I wouldn't be surprised if he continued to come through our drive thru, always short a few cents. I just hope I never see him again.
                          Here's your sign...

Comment

Working...
                          X