This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this one made me angry

We had a whole bunch of high school-age basketball teams & their families in over the weekend of 3-1. Not unusual, especially this time of year. Well, I start cracking down on loud noise about 10pm. About an hour later the noise complaints start to come in. If people call to complain, I apologize & tell them I will have security look into it. I had a couple rooms call & one wanted their neighbors to go to bed & stop the racket & another one simple asked me something like, “Do you have tons of soccer teams in or something?” Anyway, a call from the 4th floor: I send security up there. I give them a call (all of my calls to rooms are exactly the same): “We have had some noise complaints about your room. Please quiet down or we will have to ask you to leave.” Most guests simple apologize & go on with their business.

The lobby is INSANE by this time. One of the teams won the state championship & are obviously happy about that. I am catching up on paper work.

When I called the 4th floor room, they were quite annoyed with me. They told me "well, there are white people being loud up here, too." It took me a second, and I realized that the people were Native American. Last thing I think about is race, and at this point it was just noise. I told the guest, "We are calling a couple rooms right now telling them to be quiet, not just your room." Okay, hang up next issue.

About 10 minutes later a lady from that room comes down. She of course says someone called her room & said they were making noise. I told her it was me. At this point she claims that they have never seen more prejedice at any other area then they have here. ??? I asked was a bit shocked...I hadn't even thought about that. I told her we were cracking down on a lot of rooms not just hers. She says she has young kids, and sometimes they cry or scream...okay fine, got that but it's midnight now & most other young children are asleep.

She leaves, like a half an hour goes by & the gentleman from the room comes down, with three young children (one a baby in a carrier) in tow.
    "Hello, I would like your name & the name of your manager please."
    I just knew...he was from 404, so I asked & he confirmed. I went into the whole we called a bunch of people explaination... Matter of fact, I just had a coach come down & apologize for his kids' noise. This guy has the NERVE to say, "Are you only doing this because there are Indians in the hotel?"

Tell me I was rude, fine. Tell me you don't like my attitude, super. Sometimes I sound rather stressed. Do not ever imply that I am racist.

He continues, "I have young children. When they cry do you expect me to make them stop?" The insanity continues. He kind of goes on a speal, "We have not encounted so much racism. We have never come past this at any (hotel name), ever. Then you call my room & tell me we would have to leave (I said if the noise continued & explained that we investigate noise & it we confirm it we have to tell people to stop or leave, he doesn't care). I want do speak to your manager. He implies & repeats the allegations that I only called his room because the hotel had Native Americans in it. whatever...

At this point I am fuming, and starting to not hide it well. I told him, "Okay I will just call my manager. Let me see if she's up (it's now past midnight)". He is now saying it would be fine in the morning, too. I was so angry at his insunuations that I just angrily tell him, "No. I am getting her here now." I call her & tell her a guest wishes to see her in person & give her code that I will call her back once SC goes back up to his room.

I fill her in that he is claiming I am racist, and all of that. He phones the hotel & introduces himself as the guy I was agruing with. He says he is on his way to the hospital so he wants my manager to call him on his phone. Fine, whatever you rude jerk. Apparently his baby was ill. Keep in mind, when he towed the children to the lobby they were all quiet & looked rather tired (he has just blamed them for the noise).

My manager gets here & calls him. He starts in with the being racist crap. My manager rarely takes the side of her employees. I would expect her not to unless the situation is dire. She stops him in mid-bitch, and tells him that is very much not the case. He tries the whole, "My people have struggled for 200 years..." and once again I hear my manager tell him that this isn't the problem. Our protocol is to stop noise, and we do that by speaking with the guests. Just because they recieved a call doesn't mean it was because they are Native American.

After I send security up there to confirm, I call. How would I know they were Native Americans right away? I wouldn't. I just stop the noise.

I was so angry at this allegation & the fact that they were pulling it out of their ass...I was shaking afterwards. If they had come back & made the same claims...well I doubt I would have held my tongue about how unfair they themselves were being & the fact that they are the ones who were being racists with the whole "white verses Indian" speak. My favorite area to study in history are Native American studies. I, myself, am not 100% "white", I have Native American heritage which is my proudest asset, even though it is small & very much not obvious. They had used the phrase "white people" right away. It had made me confused until I looked at the obviously Native American name. urg. I was just sooo angry. It took me awhile to calm down.

On top of that I was checking the credit cards, and their room had a declined card. Oh good...what's the next claim? The credit card company is racist, too?? Just from a name!?
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

I really loathe that race card. I really do.

I work in a call center. I only "see" SCs over the phone....but some will still try to pull that race card crap....I CAN'T SEE YOU!!! I CAN'T tell by the sound of YOUR VOICE what the color of your skin is. Why do you want to stereotype your own damn self by assuming that I can tell the color of your skin by the sound of your voice.

Grrrr....

On a down note for me...I have a very ethnic sounding last name. Its Spanish in orgin. I am a very white woman. However, this does not stop people from assuming I am married or divorced to/from a hispanic man or that my dad is "Mexican".
    Last edited by friendofjimmyk; 03-02-2008, 12:06 PM.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Maybe they knew the card was declined and wanted you to comp the room. And then the kid being sick....Never mind their race they sound like a family of scamers.

Comment

"My apologies, sir, but your race card has been declined. Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post
          "My apologies, sir, but your race card has been declined. Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

LOVE IT!!!
          Well fiddle dee dee!!

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post

You beat me to it!
            I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

oh, I love it when the race card is declined... last time someone pulled it they were accusing me of not allowing them to cancel their advanced purchase reservation (below is a sample of what the website shows for an advance purchase... this isn't his, this is one I just chose randomly)
              Advance Purchase
              $80.00 (USD) PER ROOM, PER NIGHT
              TAX: 12.46% PER NIGHT NOT INCLUDED IN RATE EFFECTIVE 29 MARCH, 2008 THRU 30 MARCH, 2008
              EXCLUDES GRATUITY

2 PERSON(S) PER ROOM MAXIMUM

DESCRIPTION:
              Special Savings! Reservations require full prepayment for the entire stay at time of booking. Fully non refundable. Prepayment is charged to credit card between time of booking and day of arrival and is non refundable. No refunds if cancelled or changed.

PLEASE NOTE:
              Thank you for making your reservation on our web site.

RULES:
              - ADVANCE PURCHASE REQUIRED
              - MUST PURCHASE AT LEAST 14 DAYS IN ADVANCE.
              - CHECK-IN TIME: 03:00 PM
              - CHECK-OUT TIME: 11:00 AM

and I think you'll all love the race card he pulled... we were being racist because it was his hispanic secretary who made the reservation and it was unreasonable for us to expect her to be able to be fluent enough in english to understand all that fine print (umm, yeah, that's it, we're racist because we assumed she could read... and the whole being in english thing is bull because the website lets you change languages and I have no doubt if she is as bad at english as this douche claims that she didn't change the website to spanish... oh and when I spoke to her she seemed to understand english well enough).
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

He continues, "I have young children. When they cry do you expect me to make them stop?"
                What, does he just let them cry until they exhaust themselves and fall asleep? I don't expect anyone to "make" a young child stop crying but I expect them to do something to try to calm/comfort them...especially if the kid is sick. I understand that sometimes it's difficult and any given technique won't work on every baby, but unless it's a newborn, you must have some idea of how to calm your own kids by now!

Quoth theredbaron47

I like the alternative ending, "Is there another form of entitlement you'd like to use?"
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

[

I like the alternative ending, "Is there another form of entitlement you'd like to use?" [/QUOTE]

laughed so hard at that my dogs looked at me funny!

Comment

Quoth SnapAddict218 View Post
                    LOVE IT!!!
                    heh me tooo!
                    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      oh, I love it when the race card is declined... last time someone pulled it they were accusing me of not allowing them to cancel their advanced purchase reservation (below is a sample of what the website shows for an advance purchase... this isn't his, this is one I just chose randomly)
                      Advance Purchase
                      $80.00 (USD) PER ROOM, PER NIGHT
                      TAX: 12.46% PER NIGHT NOT INCLUDED IN RATE EFFECTIVE 29 MARCH, 2008 THRU 30 MARCH, 2008
                      EXCLUDES GRATUITY

2 PERSON(S) PER ROOM MAXIMUM

DESCRIPTION:
                      Special Savings! Reservations require full prepayment for the entire stay at time of booking. Fully non refundable. Prepayment is charged to credit card between time of booking and day of arrival and is non refundable. No refunds if cancelled or changed.

PLEASE NOTE:
                      Thank you for making your reservation on our web site.

RULES:
                      - ADVANCE PURCHASE REQUIRED
                      - MUST PURCHASE AT LEAST 14 DAYS IN ADVANCE.
                      - CHECK-IN TIME: 03:00 PM
                      - CHECK-OUT TIME: 11:00 AM

and I think you'll all love the race card he pulled... we were being racist because it was his hispanic secretary who made the reservation and it was unreasonable for us to expect her to be able to be fluent enough in english to understand all that fine print (umm, yeah, that's it, we're racist because we assumed she could read... and the whole being in english thing is bull because the website lets you change languages and I have no doubt if she is as bad at english as this douche claims that she didn't change the website to spanish... oh and when I spoke to her she seemed to understand english well enough).

Um wow...what people do to try & rip others off amazes me. Although, we have a "No Show" charge that we are not supsta release unless there are dire circumstances, but we do if people call to cry about it...every time.

Comment

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
                        Um wow...what people do to try & rip others off amazes me. Although, we have a "No Show" charge that we are not supsta release unless there are dire circumstances, but we do if people call to cry about it...every time.
                        We have a policy where you have up to 6pm on day of arrival if you want to cancel your room when guaranteed with a credit card. We are supposed to No Show if you do not cancel, but we've had so many instances of people claiming they cancelled their reservation. When asked for a cancellation #, they always say we didn't give them one, but in our notes section, we put "Told guest cancellation #." When they get a one night's charge on their credit card, they are not happy. Now the manager decides if he wants to no-show or not. We leave it for him in the morning. 9 out of 10 times, he lets it slide. People will dispute the charge with their credit card company and he doesn't like to have so many complaints, even if we are in the right.

Comment

If people cancel, we don't charge them no matter when they cancel their day of arrival. Nearly every person who has a No Show claims they canceled the room...but...oh surprise they don't have a cancelation number. We are told to just accept it anyway... annoying. But yeah our Manager used to do the No Shows, but I have been here for 6 years so they just started having me do after awhile. & that is exactly the reason we release charges...cuz otherwise they will dispute it anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X