This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pagan View Post
    I use "bugger" a lot, too. What's fun is that most people in this country don't realize what "bugger" really means. Which made it coming out of Cap'n Jack Sparrow's mouth (Disney movies, no less) doubly funny.
    I once told a co-worker to "bugger off." I knew what it meant and I meant it, 'cause she'd really, really pissed me off that day.

This is the co-worker who grew up in Wales.

Yeah, that didn't go over well at all.

Thankfully, there was no fallout over it. Although it probably was one of the things that led to my desk being moved out of the office she's in. I have no complaints. I'm now at a much nicer station with better heat/air as needed. Plus, I'm in a position to hear all of the best company scuttlebutt.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

heh i like british swear words. cos you can say "bloody" until you're read in the face here in the states, and no one bats an eye.

but say it in england and it's... well i'm not sure how bad of a word it really is, but it's considered swearing.

Comment

Depends where you are and how familiar you are with someone. It's certainly not professional to use it in a business conversation unless you are on outstandingly good terms with the person with whom you're dealing.

Most people over here don't use it - the F bomb is used more, as 'bloody' has lost its effectiveness. Also, many people over here just use harsh language without knowing the origins.

Rapscallion

Comment

When at the office, I try to be as professional as I can. I try not to swear much outside of work. Damn and hell is usually as raw as it gets unless I'm really mad. Though I am more likely to be casual about it with my brothers or my best friend.

I used to swear a lot. But it started bothering me. So I cut back. Or I'd find alternative words. Bloody gets use. I'll also say, I won't say the words, but if you hand me a piece of paper with the words, I'll sign it.
          Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
            I am just lazy, if I start using words that might offend customers then I might have to deal with complaints about said language, so I put a little bit of effort in to begin with to tone my language down, and that way I get to be lazy in the long run with no complaints or hassle from my bosses.
            Since (according to posts on this site) the "N" word is EXTREMELY offensive to some customers, how do you handle a situation where your interaction with a customer requires its use. Note that I'm not talking about a 6-letter perjorative term for African Americans - I'm referring to the word "NO", as in "you can't have what you're demanding".
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              I'm referring to the word "NO", as in "you can't have what you're demanding".
              Not as hard as you think. You never use the word "no," you don't tell them what you cannot do. You instead tell them of what you are capable of doing.

"Transfer me to a manager"
              Wrong reply: "I can't, there's none here right now."
              Right reply: "Let me take your name and number, and I'll have them call you as soon as they get in."
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
              X