Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To the jerk arguing with the cop...yes that road is indeed closed.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small world indeed. Or 7 degrees of separation.

I do not know him. My last boss did and because we were both bibliophiles, lent me her signed copy of that book and forced me to read it by saying that I wouldn't really care for the subject, but that I would love the writing.

She was right, the subject wasn't what I would have ever looked up on my own, but the writing was great.

Comment

too cool...yeah, the subject of the book itself might not be everyone's cup of tea, but Travis is a funny guy...I dunno if you watch Food Network, but one of the shows, Chopped does a All-Stars event every year where the players are stars from other shows & they play for charity...Anyhow, Travis did that show when they brought folks on from reality shows...If you can find the episode to watch, it's pretty funny..Amy Rolof was another one that competed if that rings any bells

Comment

Travis posted these 2 live videos to FB...dunno if you can watch them if you're not FB friends but worth a try

https://www.facebook.com/travislofla...type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/travislofla...type=2&theater

Comment

I am now wearing a disappointed face. Neither of those links worked for me, perhaps because I do not facebook...but when next to message him, tell him about my connection to him from my boss to you and then back to him. It is pretty cool

Good news for the neighbors who got burned out. The landlord has been over cleaning up, found their car keys and was able to start the not fire damaged vehicle. Hurray for no longer having to depend on their friends for rides, they are now mobile. A lot of landlords would have just called in a clean up crew to get the trailer off the property instead of hand sorting the burned up stuff for them. That's a real chore!

Comment

I'm not going to start a new thread for a flood caused by a fire, I'm just going to open this one to say that the same thing is going on AGAIN!!!

Its monsoon season and there have been heavy (to the point of having to drive >50 on the highway due to water all over the place) storms up in the mountains where the fire started.

This is currently causing major flood in my town and many others. The bridge leading up the mountain to our home is probably too damaged to use for a very long time and there is only a single twisty and rutted 1 lane dirt road leading to another flooding town to the part of our town on the other side of the bridge.

Anyone with common sense would be able to figure out that that road should be left open for people fleeing or emergency vehicles responding to the emergency happening RIGHT NOW!!!

Sadly, that's not what happened here. People on this side of the creek who were flooded out went to the church and it was over an hour before emergency vehicles showed up here (response time over back roads should have been about 20 minutes) because the road was clogged with people who just HAD to come and take pics.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
              Sadly, that's not what happened here. People on this side of the creek who were flooded out went to the church and it was over an hour before emergency vehicles showed up here (response time over back roads should have been about 20 minutes) because the road was clogged with people who just HAD to come and take pics.
              ...and that's why when there's flooding where I live, the cops will bust people for blocking the roads and preventing emergency vehicles from getting through. They don't give a crap about your photos--their job is to deal with the area being under water. I'm sure hope that photo of the 1982 Chevy up to its roof is really worth the couple hundred bucks you're going to get cited for
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Just an update with some rather impressive stuff IMO:

Due to location and lack of public transportation, the State dept of emergency management has organized an individual assistance event where people who were impacted by the fire and flood can speak to representatives of all sorts of government agencies and charity groups in the same place.

My office is the closest one to the impacted area, so was told to send 2 people to be there. I rather forcefully volunteered because I need to be there. I should be there to help my friends and neighbors.

I was really impressed with what the different groups were there to do. The County Health Dept. has someone there who will do tetnice shots on the spot (rather handy for a work friend who had to scramble up a steep and wet hillside and crawl under some barbed wire to get to the highway), Salvation Army with very cool buckets full of cleaning supplies, a bunch of young adult LDS people armed with shovels, rubber boots and gloves all ready and eager to shovel mud, Vet's admin folks and a whole bunch of state alphabet agencies plus the DES FAA

We thought we were only going to a meeting and then learned that it was all day today and 9-5 Sat and Sun. When I told the DEMA manager that nobody knew about the weekend, she told me that she would contact my regional manager to arrange things and thanked me for being so quick to offer to give up my weekend. Within 3 hours, my direct sup's sup's sup had been on the phone with me to confirm that I really did want to volunteer to work both days because he had been contacted by the Governor's office and directed to be sure that 2 people were there for both days.

Anyone who has ever done government work is probably finding my story highly questionable because a 3 hour response time from the top level back to the bottom level for what is basically an administrative matter is pretty much unheard of.

Comment

Working...
                X