Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An open letter to my guests (and a bit CoC stuff too, long and ranty sorry)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An open letter to my guests (and a bit CoC stuff too, long and ranty sorry)

Dear guests:

If you are going to be Oh So Offended that you were placed in an accessible room (as if not having full use of one's legs was something to be horribly ashamed of), you might want to, I dunno, NOT book the accessible room? I don't know if you're walking in here on an artificial leg and need grab bars (which has happened), have back problems that get worse or better depending on time and exertion (like my husband) or an elderly parent who isn't so stable on their feet who will be coming in later (which has also happened). The accessible rooms come first on the list of room types to make it easier on someone using a screen reader. If you'd just read two sentences describing the room you'd avoid the horrid implication that you're a human being whose body will not function perfectly forever.

Sports team coach: No, you cannot order pizza and eat it in the atrium. Because it's a FUCKING RESTAURANT that's why. You can't go into Denny's and order pizza from Dominoes and expect to be allowed to eat it at Denny's. Your choices are to buy your pizza from us or pay to rent a conference room. Your failure to plan for where you were going to feed those 20 teenagers is not my problem.

No, birthday party, you CANNOT use a conference room for free. You WILL trash it, and the set-up and tear-down *gasp* costs MONEY in terms of man-hours. I could actually kick your entire party out for trying to cram 10 kids into a room for a "sleepover." And don't act like we don't know you booked two rooms so you could have one and let them raise hell all night in the other. You may not be able to hear them but the guests right above and below can, so shut those brats up or GTFO. Noise disturbances get one warning. Then Johnny Law gets to help you pack.

Also, dear Co-Worker, I am deeply sorry your grandma died, and I know this makes me seem cold-hearted, but after that happened, you disappeared for a freaking MONTH and now I learn you haven't even had the funeral yet, so you'll be taking MORE time off while whining about how "unfair" our attendance policies are. You are 24. Welcome to real life, where bereavement leave is 3 days, not 3+ weeks. I suspect our boss was very generous in letting you use FMLA, I don't think he legally had to. It sucks but that is the way employment works in this country.

Also, other coworker, please work on your confidence. You say you are confident, and maybe you are, but it doesn't show. You're giving guests a choice, asking them to do things "if they don't mind" when those things aren't optional (like signing the reg card...no signature, no keys) and taking 5 minutes to answer a question that could be answered in 1 sentence. You won't commit to any course of action, even after being told what to do by a supervisor as well as more seasoned employees. Instead of taking the course of action you were told to take, you wring your hands all night and run around in circles. You don't have a mean bone in your body but you are DRIVING US CRAZY.

Ok thanks feel better now
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 03-08-2017, 06:34 AM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Oh my gosh, does No Hope have a sibling?!
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Not really, she's able to do her job just fine most of the time, it's when something unusual comes up that it rattles her. She follows procedure and knows what she's doing, she just doesn't think on her feet well, and that's OK. The "being told what to do but not being able to process it due to being too anxious" thing is understandable even (she's starting anxiety meds) but she deals with anxiety by talking. and talking. and talking. That's the main problem.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
        ... by talking. and talking. and talking...
        I've described some of my friends by saying, "Somebody must have told little M. that if they weren't talking, they weren't breathing, and they'd DIE!"
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

We all have CW like that, dalesys...unfortunately
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            I've described some of my friends by saying, "Somebody must have told little M. that if they weren't talking, they weren't breathing, and they'd DIE!"
            Hah! I recall one occasion that my (just about to defend her thesis!) girlfriend and I went to a party at my friend's house. He got a very good bottle of scotch for his birthday, and shared it. Apparently, mostly with my GF. Who weighed about thirty-seven pounds and had nowhere to put that much booze. What I'm trying to say is she was drunk.

On the way home, she started insisting that she couldn't breathe! Panic panic panic!

So I asked her if she was talking. Of course she was, talk talk talk talk talk talk. So if you're talking, you're breathing, right?

Miracle of miracles, it worked. The panic was abated.

...The next morning, she didn't even have the grace to be horribly hung-over...
            Last edited by Nunavut Pants; 03-10-2017, 11:33 PM.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

How in the hell does someone get to use FMLA for bereavement? I could be wrong but as far as I know once someone dies there ain't much you can do for them that falls under the FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE ACT.

Now if it was for CW herself due to physical illness brought on by grandma dying, OK, I can just about accept that, if a doctor's note was required by management, saying that she was under a doctor's care due to said illness. Otherwise, no.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My Mother in Law recently died. She lived out of state. I got the 5 days bereavement time to travel out of state. However, due to her death, we were now responsible for the care of his dad. FMLA was not an option for me because she was "just" an in-law and not someone who had raised me.

However, when my father died and my mother kind of fell apart, I got the out of state bereavement time but wasn't eligible for FMLA because my mother didn't need medical care.

I have NO idea how anyone could get that much time for a death of a grandmother, even if she did raise her.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                  ... I have NO idea how anyone could get that much time for a death of a grandmother, even if she did raise her.
                  They are Klinger's lucky cousin.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Well, heck. How do I delete my double post?

Wonders what this red button does...

All fixed

As to being put in an accessible room, I would go back to the desk and ask if there was a mistake myself. Not because I was offended, but because I don't need one and there might be someone else who does.
                    Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 03-10-2017, 11:21 PM.

Comment

I got FMLA leave when my DH died. There was nothing I could do for him once he was dead, but cleaning up the mess his death left sure took a lot of attention and time out of me. I didn't take as much as I needed because I needed to get back to work, but I surely needed the time I took.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        How in the hell does someone get to use FMLA for bereavement? I could be wrong but as far as I know once someone dies there ain't much you can do for them that falls under the FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE ACT.

Now if it was for CW herself due to physical illness brought on by grandma dying, OK, I can just about accept that, if a doctor's note was required by management, saying that she was under a doctor's care due to said illness. Otherwise, no.
                        That may have happened, she told me she had to start mental health meds, so it's possible she was already fragile and losing someone close to her triggered a breakdown. Mental illness is every bit as real as physical, and it often needs recovery time. If that's the case, though, there's no way Bossman should have disciplined her for absenteeism. I dunno what happened and it really isn't my business. Also IANAL and I don't know the details of FMLA, our state may have laws covering leave for a death that aren't in existence at federal level, or the company policy could allow it's use for that.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post

Welcome to real life, where bereavement leave is 3 days, not 3+ weeks.
                          I worked with someone who took two weeks off when her cat died.

Comment

We're supposed to take a week off for mourning, but I had a CW once take off for a month becuase her mom was in Africa and apparently she needed that much time to mourn in her culture? IDK.
                            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

We were given an accessible room at a hotel once, then the next day asked if we minded moving because the room was needed for someone with a handicap. Not a problem for us. We packed up and hotel employees carried our luggage for us to our new room.

Comment

Working...
                              X