This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crappy weekend...

ugh. the past two days sucked. sunday was worse than saturday....Saturday was Sweetest Day. in my opinion, not such a great day. i don't celebrate it. my fiance didn't even get a card, and he didn't get me anything. but, im still expected to sell products for it. you know...last minute gifts. i went in with a gameplan on how to get a bunch of sales, and i set up a nice display...and my store was dead. saturdays are usually busy. and my store was dead. can you say diappointment? now for the SCs.

I'm mad at you cause you offered help!

where i work, we have this policy, where when there are 3 people in line at the front register, the front register cashier pages IC3 and they get help. in most other stores, some floor employee helps. inb my store, cosmetics has to help, because we don't have the employees for anything else. so i go and call that i have an open register. as im standing there, i see a woman, probably in her late 40's chatting with a man who could be her husband, boyfriend, friend...i dunno. they were just up there chatting. i thought they didn't hear me, so i repeated myself. i see the woman point in my direction, and then walk over. reading her body language, i could tell this wasn't going to be good.

CW- cranky woman
    Me- who else?

Me- hi! did you find everything ok?
    CW- I wanted to wait! i didn't want to come over here! but you just had to keep calling!
    Me- im sorry. i just tried to help.
    CW- Well! i DIDN"T want to come over here! i was fine with just waiting! thats what i said! i said i didn't want to come over here!
    (now this woman was seriously pissed. i was surprised that she was so upset over this)
    Me- i didn't hear you say anything about not wanting to come over.
    CW- oh. im sorry. i didn't know that.....
    (me, thinking, oh yeah....NOW you want to apologize for acting stupid....i can't win for losing. if i don't offer help, i get in trouble, if i offer, i get yelled at....)

the transaction went on. i was able to keep up my nice attitude, and she tried to make things better, but i couldn't believe how mad she really was. this wasn't her just being snappy. you could look at her and she was livid....

Sucky Coworker
    so on my way to work on sunday, i was thnking about what needed to get done. sundays, we are short employees. pharmacy only has one employee, then we have one manager, me, and the front cashier. for some reason, i was wondering what would happen if front register guy didn't come in.
    i get to work, and we open up....front register guy isn't there yet. half hour later...still not there....no phone call. nothing. half hour later, no front register guy....five minutes later....he calls! "im at the hospital. my brother had to be rushed in last night." so we are irritated. our whole day is screwed up. its going to be tough.
    one of our other managers come in to shop. we are talking to her. we tell her what happens. her response?"front register guy doesnt have a brother." the manager has known front register guy for years, and has never heard a thing about a brother...

pick a card..any card...just not the race card.
    While on front register, i had a customer bring some makeup that had a sticker saying there was a coupon at the cosmetic counter. so i ran over there to get it. the AM on duty that day was over there pulling the drawer. as i was grabbing a coupon, a black man(yes, his race comes into play) came over. heres most of what happened. some parts, i ignored to the point i don't remember, some i had just walked away from, and some i was trying to talk to other customers around it.

HM-horrible man
    me- poor me....

HM- let me smell the Nautica tester there.
    Me- Thats the womans one.
    HM- Its a tester isn't it? why won't you let me smell it?!
    Me- im sorry. its just that it is womans, and i don't have the mens...
    HM-oh. well, you got mens cologne testers, right? where are they? show them to me!
    (at this point, i tried passing it off to my manager, only because i had a line up front as well. if there wasn't a line up front waiting for me, i wouldn't have tried passing HM off.)
    HM- THERE! that one!(pointing at Antonio Banderas ,Spirit.)
    Now....due to our store policy, we are not allowed to hand the customer the tester. we have had a woman abuse that priviledge. she would come in and spray about 10 sprays all over her, a few times a week. these testers cost us money, and we need to make them last, so we don't allow it anymore. plus, i prefer to spray it on a tester card first, because if the customer doesn't like the smell, they aren't walking around with a cologne they don't like.

so i reach for a tester card, as he is reaching for the tester in my hand. i kind of pull my hand back, so he can't grab it.

HM-GIVE ME THE TESTER! I AM A PAYING CUSTOMER AND YOU GIVE ME THE TESTER! YOU DO NOT KEEP IT FROM ME!(at this point, he was able to grab the tester from me. he sprayed it all over him, then slammed it down on the counter) YOU THINK A BROTHER IS GONNA STEAL IT RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU! HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE! YOU TAKE THE TESTER, AND YOU PUT IT IN MY HAND! THATS HOW IT WORKS!YOU CAN'T JUDGE SOMEBODY BY THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN! HOW DARE YOU! YOU FREAKING RACIST! YOU ARE TO GIVE ME THE TESTER WHEN I ASK FOR IT!

at this point, i had put the tester in back, and just started to walk away. i wasn't saying anything to him. if i had argued and defended myself, it would have gotten worse. i felt the best thing was to just walk away. he was still carrying on. my AM was still there, and he finally jumped in.

AM- sir, we are not allowed to give you testers. its our policy.

HM-BULLSHIT! EVERYWHERE ELSE I GO, WALMART, EVERYWHERE! THEY LET ME DO IT! I CAN DO IT! YOU JUST DON'T WANT ME TO CAUSE IM BLACK!

i had went back up the front register at this point, and couldn't hear anything else. i apologized to those in line for the wait. as i was checking out the customer who needed the coupon, HM walked by on his way out the door.

HM- YOU CAN'T JUDGE BY THE COLOR OF MY SKIN! IVE LIVED HERE MY WHOLE LIFE AND HAVE NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN! YOU NEED TO LEARN GIRL! YOU CAN'T JUDGE BY THE COLOR OF SKIN!

i kept going on with my current transaction. i gave the girl her total, while he kept ranting on his way out.

the second he left, i apologized to those in line, and then i just stared crying. i couldn't help it. that is the one thing i really hate being accused of. im not racist, and i hate it when people don't get their way and accuse me of something horrible like that.

thankfully, the people who were in line during that, were very nice, and tried to cheer me up.

it took me awhile to calm down from that last guy. then i had to go home, and find out that fiances mother was there....so i wasn't happy. i told fiance that i had a really bad day and didn't feel like dealing with people. so he talked to them, and after fiances father helped me fix the highchair, they left.

YOU CAN'T JUDGE BY THE COLOR OF SKIN
    He's right. Assholes come in all shapes and sizes.

Working retail made me realize just how futile being racist really is. Why contain my disdain for the human race to one particular minority? Stupidity is by no means limited to any race, religion, or national origin. Easier to be a misanthrope and hate everyone. (Which is what I told the only woman to play the race card on me. Well, I told her I was a misanthrope. Not the whole thing I just said ^_^)

Comment

Quoth Record Store Tough Guy View Post
      Which is what I told the only woman to play the race card on me
      No, Ma'am, I hate all humans equally.
      Including yourself?
      *choke* Yes, Gods Damn my frail human form!

I doubt someone who just pulled the race card on me would be coherent enough to notice that particular contradiction, but hey, I have that line in reserve for if it ever happens.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Ljt09863 View Post
        I'm mad at you cause you offered help!
        If you prefer to wait over there, then get your ass back there and shut the hell up! Don't come up here bitching at me because I offered to help you. Some people are such jerks. Like Record Store Tough Guy said, "Assholes come in all shapes and sizes."
        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I used to have a bumper sticker that said "I don't discriminate, I hate everyone equally."

I miss that sticker.
          Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Quoth Foxglove8778 View Post
            I used to have a bumper sticker that said "I don't discriminate, I hate everyone equally."
            I so want one of those.
            ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

It would have been fun to say, very quietly and very seriously, "It's obvious you've never met my husband." with a knowing smirk on your face. If you can plausibly claim mixed blood because of your looks, you could even replace "husband" with "father" or something.

People call you "racist" because so many people get wigged out when they are stuck with this label. When I worked at Kinko's, I'd just casually point to my black-haired, Melungeon-looking husband sitting over in typesetting and say "That's who I married."

Took the wind out of some sails, let me tell you.

Comment

I used this line on one of my college roommates he asked do I hate him because he was latino
                I of course said "no, of course I don't hate you because you're latino... I hate you because you steal my shit, wake me up at night, bring whores into the room (i wish i was making up that line), you're always drunk, and I get the distinct feeling that you a stereotypical jock who would have shoved me in my locker in high school because I was in the marching band, oh, and as for me disliking most of your friends, it's not that they're latino, it's that they all have similar traits to you... and if you must know my latino friends think your a jackass too."

he and his friends still think that the only reason I don't like them is because I am racist... i'll let them think what they want though, I live 100 miles away now, and I've only seen them once and that was at an amusement park north of salt lake... oh and they must have felt stupid, I was there with one of my friends of mexican descent (sp?).
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I can relate to the college roommate horror story. I'm white, and grew up in a predominantly redneck small town in southern Illinois. My first college roommate when I transferred to Murray State University had to be one of the worst Jesse Jackson types of bigots I'd ever met. He was a self-proclaimed "political science major with a minor in criminal law." That's literally how he always introduced himself.

From the start, he made it clear that he would have preferred a private room, but couldn't afford it. Okay, whatever, I would have preferred a private room, but had to make do since I couldn't afford it. The difference is that I adapted the best I could. I was there to concentrate on my studies, and that's what I did. I'm not so sure he really knew why he was there.

Shortly into the semester, it came to my attention that he'd been telling everyone that my family was a bunch of racists who hated blacks because they snubbed him. As I recall, my family only stayed long enough to unload my stuff from the car and help me unpack because we arrived way late, like 10:30 p.m. He didn't stick around for more than a couple of minutes once we arrived. He'd only met them that night that I'd moved into the room, and we were all tired because we'd spent most of the day on the road getting me there. My car broke down along the way, and I was stranded while waiting for them to come with a tow trailer to take me to the university. He'd only met them after we'd been through all of that in one day. So, I confronted him about it. He denied it until I told him that some of his own BLACK friends had told me. He then admitted he said it. All I told him was that he might learn a few things if he ever bothered to pull his head out of his ass, and get over himself. (It's scary when you can hear yourself sounding like your parents.)

Tensions continued to build after that, especially when some of his own black friends started hanging out with me even if he was away. I had my own circle of friends, but I still got to know several of his friends. If they wanted to hang out and chat, that was cool. If not that was cool. When my friends stopped by, he always snubbed them and left within a few minutes. What made me laugh was that several of his friends told him he was being a jerk to me, and needed to grow up. Like I told anyone who asked, if he wants to be that way, that's his problem. As for me, I'm not threatened by him. I could easily stomp him into the ground if he ever had the guts to make something of it, but he's too much of a wuss to be a threat.

The final straw came toward the end of the semester. We got into an argument over something one night, but I can't remember what. So, I flat out told him that I hated him because he was a jackass, but that he wasn't worth any effort to hate black people as a whole because most of the black people I knew hated his kind as well. He resorted to making comments about my family. The next thing I remember, I threw my coffee percolator at him and stormed out. I took a minute to cool off, and went to talk to the RA. The RA was out, so I went to the RD. The RD (who incidentally was black, too) and I talked about it. He said that I'm not the first student to have issues with him as a roommate. Virtually every roommate he's ever had has complained about him. So, eventually, we went back to the room with both RAs for my floor to try to resolve it. I knew I'd had enough. I simply told them that one of us needs to be moved. When we got to the room, he was in the corner bawling to his mother on the phone. The RD asked him if he would be willing to talk about it, and, I'm not kidding, he turned facing the corner like a two-year-old throwing a tantrum. He would not talk about it. He just kept complaining on the phone about his blood pressure and headache.

The next semester, I moved to another room, and life went on for me. I saw him around campus from time to time, but he always walked a big circle if he saw me. I just ignored him, not worth my time. I continued to hang out with several of his friends. Some of them even said that he was getting worse, so they quit hanging around him. It's really sad. I can't bring myself to pity him or feel sorry for him because he brought it on himself. Still, it's just sad that someone can be like that.
                  The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                  X