This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the name of Truth, Justice... and justifiable homicide

Hi all. I'm new (this is my first post in Sucky Customers, gulp) so a little background on what I do and my own particular brand of SCs might be in order...

I work in the criminal justice system. My SCs are often insane (certifiably sometimes) and even more often they've been convicted of something unpleasant. On fun occasions, when the fates really hate me, they're both criminal and certifiable, and I valiantly resist the urge to hide under my desk.

Even worse are the lawyers. (I'm sure there are very nice, competent lawyers out there. Sadly, I won't be writing about them).

In my various roles in this system, my duties include answering phone queries, dealing with people in person, and doing behind the scenes admin work. Admin work is good, because there are minimal in-person SCs.

Anyway, to start with, a single tale from early on in the job:

My first week

So I'm new to this area and after 3 days I'm just getting the hang of everything in the office. Unfortunately, this is when a SC walks in. I look up, and quite literally (upon making eye contact) the hair on the back of my neck stands up. This, I think, is probably a Bad Thing. SC stares at me. I stare at SC. I eventually recover enough sense to say "Good morning sir, how may I help you?"

SC: *stares blankly*
    Me: Is there something I can help you with?
    (wow, this is so not endearing me to the job)
    SC: Yes miss.
    (and that's not creepy, you talking to me like I'm your third grade teacher. Particularly as you're older than my father).
    Me: ... so, what can I do for you?
    SC: I want some information miss.
    Me: O.K (speaking more slowly now) what sort of information?
    (I can just tell this conversation is only going to get more painful)
    SC: I was in prison miss (wow, really? You don't say) I want to appeal.
    Me: You want to appeal a current charge?
    SC: No, I wanna appeal the first charge, why I went to prison miss.
    Me:... But you're out of prison now (unfortunately, some would say. Not me of course, oh no, I'm just thrilled you're able to grace me with your presence in person).
    Me: So you've completed your sentence and now want to appeal the decision?
    (Talk about shutting the gate after the horse has bolted, mate. This strikes me as rather... pointless. And stupid. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised because I have a feeling that sums up your entire existence.)
    (I'm making a mental note never to call anyone miss, ever. It sounds unbelievably creepy coming from an adult).
    Me: O.k. (I make an executive decision to humor the scary man. At least until he's out of earshot). I'll give you an information package that should be able to tell you everything you need to know. (And is specially designed for the... how do I say this nicely... less intellectually inclined members of the population. Even you, my scary friend, should be able to follow it).
    Me: *hands over information package*
    SC: Thank you miss. *stares blankly*
    Me: Uh (what are you looking at me like that for? Is there something on my nose? In my teeth? Or... I just became your next meal, didn't I? DIDN'T I?) You're welcome.
    SC: *stares blankly*
    Me: (resists urge to run screaming) .. Is there something else I can help you with?
    SC: No miss. Thank you. *stares before finally turning to leave*.
    Me: (oh thank jebus on a stick)

My boss then comes over. We watch the Scary Man leave and the door close and she turns to me and says, "Well done. That was Mr X."
    Me: You *know* him?
    Boss: Oh yes. Did you notice how he called you miss?
    Me: I had picked up on that, somehow.
    Boss: That's because he's been institutionalized. He's well known in the system, he's got a reputation. Incidentally, he got convicted of wilful murder. Don't ever, ever give him your name.
    Me: (horrified silence). O.k.... (welcome, Amelius, to the justice system).

(Note: Mr X has not yet attempted to eat me, though he did return to the office a few weeks later. I fear, though, that it's only a matter of time...)

First: Welcome!

Second: Um. Creepy. "Don't ever, ever give him your name." Um... what if that warning had come too late?
    Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Yeah, way to give the essential info on the first day, bossman?
      Current Faith in Humanity Meter:
      {|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}

Comment

Thanks for the welcome

And yeah, they didn't quite think the warning through. To be fair, I wouldn't have given out my last name anyway (by virtue of not being an idiot), and my first name is frighteningly generic.

Still, in future I think all warnings should come before you start the job. Particularly if the job involves dealing with the homicidally inclined.

Comment

Welcome Amelius. I know what you speak of. My eldest son is a corrections officer in Arizona. Luckily he is of good stature (6'5" and 250 pounds) but he tells me all kinds of crazy stories. One he has related to me is that the inmates are told to address people as sir and Ma'm.

I think I'll try to remember some of the stories he has related and throw some in the sightings forum. A couple made my hair stand up and I'm not exactly small either.
          This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

That whooshing noise?
            That's the sound of a few thousand legal admins removing their name plates from their desks.

Great first post!
            "Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is." - Steve Martin

Comment

You didn't mention the guy's nickname Hi sister dear.
              I'm busy, you're an idiot, have a nice day

At least I shall die as I have lived; completely surrounded by morons.

Comment

Corrections officer? That would be a challenge. It's bad enough on my end, and the ones I've seen are all out already.

Thanks Bobsentme. Sadly, I've got a whole lot of stories to relay.

And no little sis I didn't - I'm trying to avoid identifying statements (like nicknames), which clearly failed as you found me For those who are confused, Nox really is my sister (and I'm sort of freaked that we managed to bump into each other online!)

Comment

Eep.

I should hope you wouldn't give any of them your name. x:

Comment

He called you "miss" repeatedly in hopes that it would annoy you to the extent that you'd say, "My name's not 'miss', its Amelius".

Creepy.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

What kind of information packet could you have handed him? I don't suppose there's anything legally he can do to dispute his criminal record after he's been convicted and served his sentence now is there?

Comment

And yes, that's a spine-tingling creepfest, if you ask me. I'm sure you have some stories about some real winners in that field, and we're all looking forward to hearing them... And though I'm not a Lawyer yet, I hope to avoid becoming one of your stories myself
                        If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

Quoth Rubystars View Post
                          What kind of information packet could you have handed him? I don't suppose there's anything legally he can do to dispute his criminal record after he's been convicted and served his sentence now is there?
                          Well, sure! He could... uh... sue... uh... the state... for... uh... defamation of character! That's it! He's been denied jobs because of his criminal record, and now he wants compensation from those selfish jerks who put him away just for killing somebody!

I don't know. I don't get how he could appeal at this point either. I'm making stuff up so it makes a little sense, at least.
                          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                          - IPF

Comment

If he was convicted before the accepted practice of some investigative techniques we now take for granted, sadly, he could appeal. Typically speaking though, that type of appeal never sees a court room.

Especially since it sounds like he was rightly incarcerated.

Comment

Nox, I'm quite disturbed that you discovered me so quickly, I'm sure I didn't mention joining the forum...

I hadn't considered that he may be trying to get my name. Disturbing thought, but I'm reasonably certain such a cunning plan would be beyond him. I hope

tangrid, if you're on this forum, I can already tell you're going to be a better lawyer than the jackasses I deal with

As for what legal avenues of appeal he had, he could legally appeal conviction - theoretically. At least, he has the right to start an appeal (but it'd be unlikely to go anywhere). My confusion mostly stems from the fact that people appeal so that they won't go to jail or so they'll get a lesser sentence... if you've already served your time... why appeal now? (It couldn't have been to clear his reputation, believe me. A tonne of bleach couldn't clean a reputation like that!)

Comment

Working...
                              X