Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sure I want to go prison for your big sale.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Only thing is taking it back to his *less then gun friendly home state of NJ, but that's on him not me. I tell everyone don't do it, don't even think about it. You have been warned so if you do- do it, don't come crying to me. Even with my licence I'm loath to go there, they have the tendency to file charges 1st, 2nd, 3rd and your lawyer can ask the questions later. *again no debate here about it
    So based on this, I'm guessing your place of business for selling firearms is in a nearby state, and he lives in New Jersey.

Again, debate and such goes on that other site, but isn't what he's trying to do illegal? It sounds like it is.

If he lives in State A, but goes to State B to purchase, that sounds illegal.

Am I wrong there?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

NJ requires that you have a "permit to carry." They are usually not issued to the general public. You have to show a justification of need. Short of "I am a Police Officer, Security Guard or the like", they are usually declined.

To purchase in NJ, you have to have a permit to purchase. For the most part, you have to have a permit to carry, or qualify for one, to get a permit to purchase. You can see why it would be preferred to buy out of state.

Wikipedia has a good explanation of the laws.

As for Numbnuts, buying the gun out of state is not illegal. Without a carry permit, taking it home would be.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
        So based on this, I'm guessing your place of business for selling firearms is in a nearby state, and he lives in New Jersey.

Again, debate and such goes on that other site, but isn't what he's trying to do illegal? It sounds like it is.

If he lives in State A, but goes to State B to purchase, that sounds illegal.

Am I wrong there?
        Yes/no

I'm in PA, so is he. But he might move back to NJ.

But yes you can only buy in your own state for handguns. So I would have to transfer it to an instate FLL and he would do the paperwork.

But with the NJ laws noted above there are lots of rules on the kind of pistol and mag limits that might force him to sell it before he go's back.

BTW carry and transport are 2 separate issues. He gets a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FID), he can take it to range and dealer/FFL.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Not to mention that the laws regarding transporting weapons across state lines change almost daily. It really is best to listen to someone licensed who knows the subject well than to DIY.

One of my nephews really wants my father's M1 Gerand. Said nephew lives in Calif. and we live in Arizona. My sweetie is retired and could easily drive to nephew's place in less than a day, spend the night and drive home the next day, arriving in time to make dinner before I get home from work.

Sweetie has flat refused to carry a firearm to Calif. with the intention of giving it to someone. We checked with our favorite licensed firearms person* who looked into it and said that currently, my sweetie was right to not do it, but it would be costly to do the whole shipping thing. Nephew will be out next weekend because there is no telling what will change in the law next month.

(*we paid him by taking him and his wife out for a very nice dinner because he refused to take money for telling us not to hire him.)

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post

Sweetie has flat refused to carry a firearm to Calif. with the intention of giving it to someone. We checked with our favorite licensed firearms person* who looked into it and said that currently, my sweetie was right to not do it
            You got good advice.
            I'd like to go there but I avoid places so batshit crazy they now have cancer warnings on coffee.
            AkaiKitsune
            Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

... I avoid places so batshit crazy they now have cancer warnings on coffee.
              ... but not on batshit ...
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

There's some beautiful places out here on the west coast, but this truly be 'The Land of Fruits And Nuts'... oh, and we grow some nice produce out here too.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                  Not to mention that the laws regarding transporting weapons across state lines change almost daily.
                  And probably also requires knowledge of the laws for any intermediate states. (Probably not the case here; Nevada is partly between Arizona and California but the good roads connecting them seem to avoid it.)

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    ... but not on batshit ...
                    AkaiKitsune

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      I had the opposite thought, that maybe this guy is trying to AVOID background checks.
                      That's what I was thinking too. Then again, I work in the financial services industry, and there are always people trying to get around regulations. Our feeling is, that if they act shifty and get nervous when you ask for their ID or other information, there's something up. In that case, we're not to open the account(s), and pass things off to a supervisor.

I don't know about you, but I'm not about to lose my securities license, my job, get heavily fined or get sent to Federal prison (and possibly never work in the industry again) for someone's unscrupulous behavior. There's a reason why registered representatives get fingerprinted, and why we have to fill out lengthy applications and document everything, folks...

Also, if the sale did go through, and someone ended up getting shot, I'm sure the weapon would be traced. Not something I'd want to deal with either.
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I'd like to go [to California] but I avoid places so batshit crazy they now have cancer warnings on coffee.
                        That's OK, there are too d**n many people here anyway!
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                          For a small price, Rosco, I could make the parking lot of your dealership a gun show, but only until the first responders showed up......
                          Sorry, but that just made my day.

On the flip side, sounds like just another lazy bastard who doesn't want to go through all the BG checks and licensing paperwork. Or maybe he knew he wouldn't pass inspection and thought he could get a gun anyway?

Should have said yes, then called the cops to meet him. Bet they'd have something to say to someone trying to illegally buy guns.

Speaking of guns does anyone know if you have to register ones that you find in the walls of your house while doing renos? I doubt they'll fire and I can't say I'm eager to try with guns that old. That and I'm unfamiliar with the kind of single shot old school ones... I'm of the opinion that if I don't know how it works and I have no training with it I shouldn't try to figure it out myself. Bet the museum would take them though.
                          Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
                            Speaking of guns does anyone know if you have to register ones that you find in the walls of your house while doing renos? I doubt they'll fire and I can't say I'm eager to try with guns that old. That and I'm unfamiliar with the kind of single shot old school ones... I'm of the opinion that if I don't know how it works and I have no training with it I shouldn't try to figure it out myself. Bet the museum would take them though.
                            You'd have to check your local laws, but the safest answer is I'd assume if it is possible to fire real bullets/shot once it's been serviced, then yes. Same for transfer of ownership.

Easiest answer is call the local cop-shop, they should know.
                            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
                              Sorry, but that just made my day.

On the flip side, sounds like just another lazy bastard who doesn't want to go through all the BG checks and licensing paperwork. Or maybe he knew he wouldn't pass inspection and thought he could get a gun anyway?

Not criminal, just lazy. but the lazy move would be.

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                              You'd have to check your local laws, but the safest answer is I'd assume if it is possible to fire real bullets/shot once it's been serviced, then yes. Same for transfer of ownership.

Easiest answer is call the local cop-shop, they should know.
                              Reading your tag line, are you in the Great White North? Sorry I don't know the Maple leaf laws.

My own state there yours now. I would not recommend talking to cops first. Take some good pictures and talk to your local shop. THEN the cops if needed.

I'd like to see them. They may be still functional with some love. I've cleaned up some old nasty guns.
                              AkaiKitsune

Comment

I'd like to see them. They may be still functional with some love. I've cleaned up some old nasty guns.
                                Heh, I'm frightened to see how much red tape would be involved in international transfer of firearms. I'm thinking you'd need a skip-loader for all of the paperwork at least!!!
                                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                                X