Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Off Topic > Life Advice

Don't know if this qualifies as "life" advice ...
Old 09-14-2020, 01:42 AM
Chairman of the Board

Default Don't know if this qualifies as "life" advice ...

... since I'm trying to kill a horder of flies.

Last time I had this problem, they all clustered on the window, so it was quite easy for me to just vacuum them up. This batch must've got the memo: they're alighting everywhere BUT the window. I've managed to get some (most?) of them with the vacuum, but there's still some left. I can't use Raid or anything like that because I have cats. Thinking of this sticky twirly things ... my middle-aged cats are not particularly adventurous so I wouldn't be too hard to find a place to hang it where the cats can't get it. I know they're cruel but ... FFS, they're FLIES. I have more sympathy with mousies than with flies.

All advice welcomed ...

Old 09-14-2020, 03:27 AM
The Hero CS Deserves

Check with the local pet shop, or better yet, your vet. Food-safe (harmless to humans) pest control sprays exist (the only kind allowed in kitchens), so perhaps PET-safe ones do, as well.
“Last night, you were unhinged. You were like some desperate, howling demon. You frightened me. Do it again.” - Morticia Addams

"Sexual intellectuals. They're f@%#ing know-it-alls" - Chuck Yeager
"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Old 09-14-2020, 04:54 AM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth EricKei View Post
Check with the local pet shop, or better yet, your vet. Food-safe (harmless to humans) pest control sprays exist (the only kind allowed in kitchens), so perhaps PET-safe ones do, as well.
Thanks, I'll do that!

Old 09-14-2020, 06:40 AM
I need a life

We just need the first frost to come and kill off the bugs. I'm looking forward to it.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:00 PM
Bookkeeper

There are essential-oil based bug sprays now, that I know are fine for pets, since I've been using them around a cat and a bird with no harm. Zevo and Raid are two brands I know of.

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Old 09-14-2020, 04:05 PM
Loanshark IT

There are all sorts of fly traps available. A number of them do not involve adhesives that can get attached to your cats fur. Plenty of places on the InterWebs will show you how to make your own.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:29 PM
Loading, please wait...

Some sort of trap might work. Get a jar, put a little bit of sweet liquid or a piece of really ripe banana inside it, and cap it with an upside down funnel, so it's easy to get IN the jar but not to get back out. Make sure the opening of the funnel is JUST big enough for the flies to crawl through.

There's a bug spray I make that might help, and is pretty safe for pets. Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) plus a teaspoon or two of dish soap, in a spray bottle. You have to actually hit the bugs with it for it to work, but it works really well if you can get it ON the bugs. It works *really* well on spiders, too, which a lot of even the toxic bug sprays don't. Once it dries, it's basically non-toxic, since the only residue is the tiny bit of dish soap and any bittering agents in the alcohol. Just don't put it directly on your animals, or allow them to ingest the spray. If you use it on plants, wipe it off the leaves since the alcohol will do to them exactly what it does to bugs that kills them (the dish soap breaks through any protective coating, and the alcohol dries them out or stops them being able to breathe (this is what it does to spiders- they have book lungs and alcohol really messes them up)).