This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammer Be Not Proud

We had a guy check into our hotel at 1:30 am last night. At about 7 am he comes back in claiming that our room had mold and "smelled funny" He further claimed that he and his family had to check into another hotel due to that fact. He wants his money refunded

My manager asks why he didn't call, he claims that he called a couple of times. The manager's leave their phone on all night in case and were up for an hour after the family checked in.

Manager goes to examine room, both beds were used as well as the bathroom (including the shower). She asks why they used the beds if the room was so unsatisfactory. Because according to him the mold was so bad his daughter's allergies were tormenting her. He stammers something about them not noticing it at first.

Manager finally asks to see a receipt for the other hotel and the man snaps that it's "none of her business" Manager gives back the money for tonight (they reserved for two nights) but says that she won't refund them for the night they stayed in the room). This guy leaves swearing he will "fight the charges"

Why is it when a scammer gets caught they still throw around threats like that's going to change someone's mind.
    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
    Why is it when a scammer gets caught they still throw around threats like that's going to change someone's mind.
    Because if they back down, they admit they were scamming. And if you admit you're scamming, you admit you're not a good person. And no one ever thinks they're not a good person. Or something like that.

Actually, it's probably more simple. Backing down = loss of face and being wrong. Continuing to fight on in the face of adversity = courage. Showing courage = good. Loss of face = bad. Therefore, do not EVER back down.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
      Therefore, do not EVER back down.
      In this case, you, the scammer, are the Batman (in your deluded mind) and whoever is holding on to your hard-earned/scammed money, is the Joker. You must, absolutely must, beat him, to save the love of your life, and eventually unmask to her so she can be killed knowing you're f*cking Bruce Wayne.
      Got off on a tangent there.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
        Because if they back down, they admit they were scamming. And if you admit you're scamming, you admit you're not a good person. And no one ever thinks they're not a good person. Or something like that.
        That's about right. Cognitive dissonance. Your brain doesn't like it when you do something that is not in sync with your perception of yourself. "I am honest, but admitting that this is a scam would make me dishonest. Therefore, I must adjust my thinking to say that I am dishonest or deny the scam." And since you tend to give yourself the benefit of the doubt, you'll rarely select the option that gives you any socially undesired trait.

(Thank you, Dr. Bancroft. You're a jerk of a professor, but you taught me a lot of interesting stuff.)
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
        - IPF

Comment

I think Broomjockey said it quite well.

I had a guy, one time, try to return his used cordless tool battery charger in the package, and with the receipt, of the new one he'd bought from us.

At that point, I had grown a little complacent on retrurns, since there had been no issues for quite awhile, and almost just went ahead with the return, with just giving the item a quick glance while still in the package. But, I just had "that feeling" on this one. Dunno why, I don't recall any body language, or other indications on his part. He just said he'd bought two different chargers to decide which one he liked best. A little weird, but didn't raise any red flags with me at the time.

So, I call the tool guy over, he takes the charger out of it's package, and we notice that the idiot had both written his initials on it with a Sharpie or something, and etched them on with an engraver! When we called him on it, he says something like "I do that to all my tools right away when I buy them". So, the tool guy and I are like, "So why did you do it in this case when you knew you would be returning one of them?" Don't remember what his lame answer was.

Anyway, as I kept looking the whole works over, I noticed the the model number didn't match the one on the package, or the receipt, though the package and receipt matched. BUSTED!!!

The dumb sonofabitch kept insisting it was a legitimate return, and even had the nads to start quoting from our return policy brochure which he was at that point looking through! "What about your 'No Hassle' policy?"

If I were ever to stoop so low as to pull a scam on a store like that, and was busted on it, I'd just get the hell out, and would be too damn embarassed to show my face there ever again.

Mike
          Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
            If I were ever to stoop so low as to pull a scam on a store like that, and was busted on it, I'd just get the hell out, and would be too damn embarassed to show my face there ever again.
            But you're not a sucky customer.

Don't worry. Maybe when you're older. :comforting pats: there, there™®
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Thanks!

Mike
              Meow.........

Comment

Anytime. I'm ever so helpful and reassuring, aren't I?
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                X