Go Back   Customers Suck! > Site News > Site News

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 02:00 AM
I need a life

Quote:
Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
I don't like change.
In that case, I'm sure someone would be glad to take a $100 bill if you want to buy a pack of gum.

Quote:
Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
Surprisingly often, that idea that seems so unique to the latest bestseller, turns out to have made a prior appearance in Jules Verne or H.G. Wells, if not some medieval romance or even ancient mythology.
Classic fairytale plot: Beautiful Princess is being held captive by Evil Sorceror. Farm Boy hears her plea for help. With help from Ancient Mystic and Rogue With Heart of Gold, Farm Boy rescues Beautiful Princess. They get married and live happily ever after. (screech of needle across record) WTF? They don't get married - but instead they find out they're brother and sister? How did George Lucas manage to mangle that?

Also, somebody ought to sue that Shakespeare dude for plagiarism. After all, the plot of Romeo and Juliet is ripped off from West Side Story.

Quote:
Quoth Skrae View Post
Looks like I picked a poor time to return!
[Airplane]Looks like I picked a poor time to quit sniffing glue [/Airplane]

Last edited by wolfie; 02-01-2016 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Added material

Old 02-01-2016, 05:54 AM
Nurse Knockers

Wow. Its been years since I first joined. I've met some awesome people and made some real friends. I haven't been as active (or active at all really lately) but I get on to read and laugh and cry with most of you. I am glad that will likely not change.

Raps, (and Mods and everyone really) Thank you for all that you have done over the years. Sometimes I honestly don't know how I would have gotten through some days without CS and it's wonderful forum goers. <3 <3 <3

Last edited by Amina516; 02-01-2016 at 05:56 AM.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:08 AM
Paleontologist

WHOOOO! *glomps on Raps*

Old 02-01-2016, 02:10 PM
CEO of Sanity

HOOORAAAAYYYY!!! Thank you!!!!

Old 02-01-2016, 08:30 PM
No-Account Countess

Oh, the relief!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Pedestrian of the Apocalypse

Three cheers for Raps and our impending new overlords!

Hip, hip--!

There are only four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:47 PM
Socks!

--Hooray!

Quote:
Quoth wolfie View Post
WTF? They don't get married - but instead they find out they're brother and sister? How did George Lucas manage to mangle that?
Lucas obviously wanted the Princess to hook up with the Rogue With a Heart of Gold to shake things up, so of course he had to nip in the bud any chances of her ending up with Farm Boy.

I know I've recently mentioned people thinking a book from the late 70's/early 80's was ripping off Harry Potter. I do think I may have heard an anecdote about someone actually accusing Romeo and Juliet of ripping off West Side Story before, mentioned by my professor in college when we covered the pair of them in Humanities. I wouldn't be surprised to find similar accusations of Hamlet stealing ideas from The Lion King.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:08 AM
The Hero CS Deserves

Quote:
Quoth Kogarashi View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to find similar accusations of Hamlet stealing ideas from The Lion King.
I'm sure there are people out there who accuse Kimba the White Lion of ripping off LK, as well

"Sexual intellectuals. They're f@%#ing know-it-alls" - Chuck Yeager
"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Old 02-02-2016, 12:22 AM
I need a life

Quote:
Quoth Kogarashi View Post
Lucas obviously wanted the Princess to hook up with the Rogue With a Heart of Gold to shake things up, so of course he had to nip in the bud any chances of her ending up with Farm Boy.
The bit about them being brother and sister wasn't introduced into series canon with the original movie (IIRC, it was introduced in RotJ, where Han asked Leia if she cared for Luke (implying that he'd step aside to avoid interfering in their relationship), and was extremely happy with her response "Of course I care for him - he's my brother".

In the novel "Splinter of the Mind's Eye", certain plot elements would not make sense (except to stereotyped Rednecks) if the "brother/sister" bit had already been introduced into series canon.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:34 AM
Socks!

Oh, I'm aware of that, wolfie (not of the Expanded Universe story, but of when the bit was most likely introduced to the story). I just figure that was also the point where Lucas really decided which character he wanted Leia to end up with, then made sure to do the "he's my brother" bit to fend off angry fans of the other pairing or something like that. Cover his bases and all. I can't think of any other reason why there would've been that kiss between Leia and Luke in Empire.