X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck just happened here?!

I was on SCO yesterday.

A woman calls me over; her card isn't being recognized. Usually that particular audio prompt means that their S-it gun needs an audit...the only gun in the holder only has the 'please scan your card to finish' screen meaning everything's fine. No way to tell which gun belongs to which order once that is done.

SC: Oh my GOD I can't believe this! I used the gun but the guy in front of me messed everything up and now my card doesn't work!"
    Me: "Which register were you at before?"
    SC: "That doesn't matter! Fix this now!"

Usually scanning the assistant card will tell me what went wrong. This was a bizarre message along the lines of 'order is no longer suspended'. Not the audit message, I'd never seen it before. Unfortunately without the gun she was actually using I can't do much, the lane she says she was on before is in use and she's blocking me from actually checking the other guns in the lanes.

Once the 'end order' barcode is scanned and the order dumped to a register, that's it. You can't put the order back on a gun. From what I can see everything is fine, but her card won't work.

The only solution I can think of is for her to use the store card, then go over to the desk for the extra gas points coupon she had (which won't work if using a store card). The shift lead doesn't know what happened either. SC is getting worse, and it's all I can do to not start snapping at her like she's doing to me.

ASM gets involved. SC is continuing to scream about how she's been there for 20 minutes (that's your doing; you wouldn't tell me the problem so I could get help quickly), everything is stupid, I'm not helpful (I was trying until you got insulting), etc.

Right away he makes me look like an idiot (repeating "I got this" in a patronizing tone with a hand wave) so I find something that I actually can fix. I see him offer her a gift card ...all of a sudden, the same solution I offered her before is acceptable. ASM of course sucks up to the kid she has with her and trots out "Thank you for my paycheck". again; I wind up with a new bite mark on my nametag.

So what was the whole problem? I have to find this out from the shift lead later; it was an audit. SC didn't have the matching S-it gun (who knows where she left it, none of the other registers were calling for help and none of the other guns I collected wanted an audit). If an audit is needed, you'll get the message on the gun and the register will only call for help after you scan your card. I think she knew what she was doing (her reaction at being offered the gift card cemented that suspicion; the solution was exactly the same). Also the whole thing was just weird; her 'explanation' didn't sit right from the start and none of the system prompts made any sense--I know how the audit process works and this was NOT it.

Look lady, you could have TOLD me what happened or at least given me a straight answer when I asked where your S-it gun was (most customers, if an audit is needed, will hold onto the gun so I know which one it is/I can easily reach it).

Look ASM, you could have TOLD me what happened instead of being all "I'll handle this." and making me look like I fucked up. It's kinda nice to know why an obscure error happened so I know what to do if it comes up again, and nice to know at that time. It's not too smart to piss off your most competent SCO overseer.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 09-01-2014, 04:18 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

So I take it you work at one of those places that lets customers scan their own purchases?

Also your ASM is an idiot.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Yup (I hate those guns; more trouble than they're worth sometimes) and yup. Things ran so much smoother when he was gone for 'technology training'.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        Also your ASM is a backstabbing idiot.
        Fixed that...

Comment

At first I thought your ASM said "I got it", because, well, he was handling it. Plus you said yourself that you were getting upset and that's a good reason to have you step away. The rest of your comments just confirm that nope, ASM can just be a jerk.

By the way, what's with the "Thank you for my paycheck" comment? I've never heard any manager anywhere use that comment and that would simply encourage bad behavior in someone already upset and/or an SC. Good grief.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            ASM of course sucks up to the kid she has with her and trots out "Thank you for my paycheck".
            Excuse me, I just threw up a little in the back of my throat
            Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
            What's the difference?
            We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
              Excuse me, I just threw up a little in the back of my throat
              Yeah, that one made me gag!!
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

ASM hadn't been saying 'thank you for my paycheck' in awhile, but he's started again. Some of my regulars have commented about it (inappropriate, etc) and we've been quietly encouraging them to say something to SM.

Granted, I was getting annoyed, but until then I had it in check (I may not have been quite sunshine and kittens, but I was trying to help with what limited information I had--the only way to complete the transaction is the solution that magically became acceptable with the addition of a gift card). ASM got me flustered by blowing in and not letting me explain what little I knew (I figured that the error message would be important; turns out after talking to L that it was but ASM didn't let me get a picture of the message); he tends to take over a situation and dismiss people in a way that makes them look bad. SC's screaming in my ear didn't help, and he didn't seem to want to do anything to defuse that.

So I still don't know what happened to cause that error or--more importantly--how to actually fix it should it come up again (I have a suspicion it was something SC did that screwed everything up, had it happened the way she said I could have fixed in it 2 seconds).

Comment

ASM got me flustered by blowing in and not letting me explain what little I knew (I figured that the error message would be important; turns out after talking to L that it was but ASM didn't let me get a picture of the message); he tends to take over a situation and dismiss people in a way that makes them look bad.
                  Have you spoken to the store manager about ASM's behavior? That's just not right, and it's horrible for morale.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Seconded on the ASM's behavior x.x

On the self-scanners, tho (meant to post yesterday, forum ate it) -- how do you prevent people from simply..."forgetting"...to scan the occasional item in their cart? Is there some of verification system, or a weight sensor in the carts or something? I've never been to a store that had that technology.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      On the self-scanners, tho (meant to post yesterday, forum ate it) -- how do you prevent people from simply..."forgetting"...to scan the occasional item in their cart? Is there some of verification system, or a weight sensor in the carts or something? I've never been to a store that had that technology.
                      The store in my town (which I'm pretty sure is of the same chain as Dreamstalker's work due to the "gun" things) -

There are two kinds of SCO, one with a belt and one that's just the scanner and a plastic bag holder. The belt kind has both weight sensors and "lazer" (I guess?) sensors that check to make sure that you aren't putting more stuff on there than you've scanned. You'd have to walk all the way to the end of the belt around the scanners to "forget" something, which is pretty obvious.

The kind with just the scanner and some bags has a scale underneath where you'd be bagging your item, and checks the weight of what you've been putting in.

Granted, it's pretty easy to get around these things, but there are some safeguards. There is still probably a lot of shrink from the SCOs though.
                      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I don't think I've ever been through a SCO with a gun. But they all have had weight sensors in the bagging area. You have to scan an item, place it in the bag and (in the ones I've used) go slow-ish, or else it tells you that there is an unscanned item in bagging area. Once you get the timing, it's great. Some people never will, and you can hear their register talking to them over and over...
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Ahh - Those, I'm familiar with. The one place here that has them (Voldemart) makes you set the item in a bag/hidden scale to make sure. I thought y'all were talking about the scanner guns people can carry with them as they shop. I was wondering about those things.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Ours have belts, which make it difficult for one person standing at the pay-station to see everything.

The scan-as you-shop guns do have some sort of 'security' in the form of random audits, but we're only supposed to scan the minimum items to complete the process and the likelihood of that catching an unscanned item is low.

Apart from the weight sensors on the belts (which themselves have serious issues) there's really no security and it relies on the customer being honest (bwahahahahaaa).

Comment

The scan-as you-shop guns do have some sort of 'security' in the form of random audits, but we're only supposed to scan the minimum items to complete the process and the likelihood of that catching an unscanned item is low.
                              You'd be surprised. I usually go after the meat, BOB and other high-value items first.

I really think they should have an item count and $ total listed on the gun when we audit people.

Comment

Working...
                              X