This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime doesn't pay? Says who?

So, there’s an apartment building parking lot I pass every day in town. I can’t help but notice what’s parked in it because I have to slow down and take the turn at the adjacent intersection. As a consequence, I know the one car that sits on the end of the row as it’s always in the same spot whenever I’m driving by.

This afternoon, I got a call to remove an abandoned vehicle from that very lot. This isn’t at all unusual, at the end of every school semester we get dozens and dozens of cars that are called in by apartments as the graduating students leave their beater cars behind and take off. Apparently in the misguided belief that the clunkers will be towed away free of charge eventually. They’re half-right, we’ll tow em’ away, and then run the VIN through the DMV, find them, and bill them for it.

Well, when dispatch hands me the slip for this abandoned , I recognize it immediately as the car that sits on the end of the row up there, and I also note that the vehicle is described as having “no tires” Huh? No tires? When I last saw it yesterday, it had tires. Maybe they just mean it has flats? Like someone slashed his tires?

Upon arriving, I realize that they were NOT kidding, the car has no tires, it has no rims either, the whole thing is sitting up on cinder blocks. Now, you can tow a car with no tires, the truck has equipment that allows you to pick a car up by it’s frame/suspension/axle if a wheel is knocked off, a common problem in wrecks, but as I’m trying to devise a strategy for moving the car, a pickup pulls up next to me and a guy gets out waving his arms.

“Woah, woah! That’s my car! I live here!” he says.

“I think you better call the apartment office” I suggest, “They called this car into me because they think it’s abandoned, probably because the wheels are off”

“Yeah” he says “They just got stolen last night”

Wow, this is one of those things that happens in cartoons or movies, or cartoons based on movies, but never ever in real life ™ right? Someone has actually stolen the wheels and tires off this car and left it up on blocks. And they weren’t even fancy-schmancy 21’’ custom rims or something like that, they were just 15'' rims, who'd risk theft charges over that? Someone apparently….. at least they were a generous thief and left the blocks.

The guy pulls a cellphone out and calls management and has a brief chat, at the end of which he tells me that they’ve agreed to give him 48 hours in which to find a way to get the car off of the lot or they’ll have it towed for real this time.

“Hey” he says “This isn’t really my car, It belongs to my friend who used to go to school here, he moved out of town and wanted me to try and sell it for him, that’s why it’s in my spot, do you know where he could get a cheap set of rims quick?”

I can’t think of any suggestion except a junkyard, and there’s no guarantee that would be possible on short notice, as the clock is now ticking on the car.

“Darn” he says, “Hey, know anyone who’d want to buy it? Cheap? Quick?”

“Eh, not off the top of my head” I say,

“Well, he only wants $500 for it”

“$500?, Sold!"

So the next day we went down to the DMV with his friend and transfered the title, and I am now the proud owner of a 1988 Chevrolet Camaro with very little rust and maybe a dent or two.

The only reason it wouldn't run? Carbureator had a stuck float, if he would've banged on it with a screwdriver handle, it probably would've started. But it also had a bad thermostat (overheating) and a lot of questionable wiring decisisons that I'm slowly working on.

I never thought I'd say it, but thank God for larceny!

- They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Oohhh.

You gotta paint that bright yellow, and find out how fast that fucker goes. 120? ...What about N02. .........Lift the rear an inch...

sorry, *wipes drool* I like fast cars.

Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

O.O

I'm guessing you're not willing to sell?

Comment

Trust me, people will steal wheels off of a car... or how about wheel? My partner was going to go to work one morning and when he got to his car, he found that some had stolen the left front wheel. Mind you, this was on a 99 Kia Sephia, that he'd bought so bare bones that it was a five speed without AC or radio.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
          Oohhh.

You gotta paint that bright yellow, and find out how fast that fucker goes. 120? ...What about N02. .........Lift the rear an inch...

sorry, *wipes drool* I like fast cars.
          Yellow? Those new movies may have swayed popular opinion, but there's only one proper color for a Camaro.

Seriously, though. If the wiring's already shot to hell, why not gut it and drop in a 350? They're a dime-a-dozen at junkyards, and most'll run after no more than a day of work. Those 88s were fast for the time, but technology's left 'em a little down-and-out (an '88 Z28 makes 20HP less than an '02 V6 model, for instance). Give those "tuners"* a little surprise at the green lights.

*Adding as many stickers you can get your hands on without so much as lifting the hood to change your own oil does not a race car make.

Comment

Quoth Fox One View Post
            Yellow? Those new movies may have swayed popular opinion, but there's only one proper color for a Camaro.

Seriously, though. If the wiring's already shot to hell, why not gut it and drop in a 350? They're a dime-a-dozen at junkyards,
            He he he, the previous owner already dropped in a 350 which was the deal-maker at the end of the day. It just needs the wiring un-FUBAR'd, a new thermostat and some all-around TLC and it's good to go

Last edited by Argabarga; 06-12-2009, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Crime doesn't pay, it just takes whatever it wants.

Comment

Deal. Of. The. Decade.

I would drive the piss out of that. The paint looks awesome too!

Very sharp looking Camaro, and one hell of a steal. Let me know when you want to get rid of it.
                Last edited by bean; 06-12-2009, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I would drive the piss out of that. The paint looks awesome too!
                  Minus the bird shit, yeah :P

Hey, fix 'er up and take pics! Oooooooooo

Cutenoob
                  In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                  She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

It's kind of funny, I'm 32, so I can remember these cars going from the "Wow! Neat!" new-cars of my childhood that everyone was impressed by, to becoming the old junky 10-year-old cars that were barely alive and being driven into the ground by redneck rejects during my college years to finaly going full circle and becoming "Wow, Neat" again, now that so few of them remain in good condition.

Every man is allowed a weakness, mine is 80's sports coupes

My other 2 money pits, an 87' Chrysler Conquest and 86' Porsche 944
                    Last edited by Argabarga; 06-12-2009, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      Wow, this is one of those things that happens in cartoons or movies, or cartoons based on movies, but never ever in real life ™ right?
                      Happens all the time.
                      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I had to tell my camaro-loving friend about it. He told me, "That year doesn't come with that engine. That's why the wiring's shot. Once he fixes that, he should be good." ...and many other things that I barely caught at all, but basically... very good deal.

Congrats, man
                        "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

man, if ONLY...

i need a new car badly, so i hope i luck out and find an awesome car that someone else doesn't want...

Comment

....I ...want.... *drools pets* pretty.

lucky SOB!
                            "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                            -Red

Comment

Except for this wiring gremlin that keeps moving' round', I should be done soon... The power windows didn't work when I got it, the other day I got the power windows to work, but then the dash lights quit, so I got the dash lights to work, now the hi-beam indicator won't work.... did I mention this thing was a spaghetti bowl of wire that I can't make heads or tails of? Seems the car had at least 2 after market stereos installed and one alarm system at some point in it's life, and when the car was sold on, the previous owners took their stuff, but left the wires.....

ARRRGH!

But, in the "Good News EVeryone" department

-25 mile test drive, no leaks, oil or otherwise, brakes feel good, steering feels good, shocks feel good.

-New Thermostat installed, no more overheating
                              -New valve covers installed, old ones leaking
                              -Was very hard to start, installed electric choke module on carb, now starts much easier
                              -New exhaust installed, Had none before
                              -Small rust holes in trunk fixed for inspection
                              -New Brake Pedal put in, old one lost it's rubber covering
                              -New exhaust gaskets put in, old ones leaking
                              -Oil/Filter change
                              -New Battery and battery tray installed, old tray rusted out, and previous owner had incorrect battery installed, (it was a HUMONGOUS 1100 amp 1 ton truck battery, not the ~750 to 850 amp one a normal car needs, plus, it was held in with an exhaust hanger bent over the top instead of a proper hold-down bracket.

-Still pending

-Fix timing and tune carb, runs a bit too rich, backfiring occasionaly and getting very poor mileage
                              -Get new hood shocks, old ones dead, hood won't stay up
                              -Get new door weatherstripping, leaks in the rain
                              -Get working radio

Having your own garage space is very nice for this sort of thing

Last edited by Argabarga; 06-18-2009, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X