Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failure to follow instructions.... (very long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to follow instructions.... (very long)

... Does not mean we are not doing our part.

Had this gem of a customer recently in regards to registering an account on our website. As mentioned many times in posts of mine I work for a prepaid cellular provider. One of the services we push often is the ability to register an account on our website and manage your phone account online. This process involves receiving a text message on your cellular phone with a verification code. Its a security measure to prove you have access to the phone you're trying to register. It's a fairly straightforward and IMO simple process. Of course as we all know SC's have ways of making simple processes a living hell. Below is an e-mail and support ticket transcript of what transpired.

My thoughts on some parts in parentheses. Also just for the record the customer is in the same time zone as us, not overly important, but it does give a reference for the times listed.

Ticket 1:
    Date: 09/15/2008
    "i ENTERED THE "VERIFICATION CODE" THAT I RECEIVED ON MY CELL PHONE ON YOUR WEB SITE AS INDICATED, BUT YOUR WEB PAGE WOULD NOT ACCEPT BY VERIFICATION CODE AS RECEIVED ON MY CELL PHONE (CVJFEW) PLEASE REACTIVATE MY CELL PHONE ACCOUNT FOR ME." --- [customers name] [customers cellular phone number] [customers e-mail]

Ticket Note: Chanlin 09/15/2008 - Replied via e-mail, requested customer register again and reply with user name, verification code and phone number. 6:15pm

Our Reply
    Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 6:18 PM
    To: [customers e-mail]
    Cc: 'Tickets@company.com'
    Subject: Ticket 4484

Hello customer,

Unfortunately the code CVJFEW does not match the most recent verification code in our records. We can process a manual registration but you will need to follow the steps outlined below.

Please do the following:

1: Delete any text messages pertaining to verification codes you have received thus far.

2: Attempt one more time to register your phone.

3: Reply to this e-mail with your user name, the phone number you are registering, and the verification code you received from step 2.

Have a great day

Thank You,
    Chanlin
    Company
    [company phone number]

Ticket 2:

Date: 09/19/2008
    "I have repeatedly entered all of the activation codes that you sent me, and none of them work. In every case with every activation code I have entered I have received the error message "incorrect activation code" It is time for your IT Staff to "solve this problem". I have done my part now you must do yours." [customers name] [customers cellular phone number] [customers e-mail]

(don't you love how not only did he not respond to our e-mail he patently ignored or does not mention anything we told him. He is also blaming us for not doing our part. What? Did the e-mail asking you to follow some very simple instructions go over your head?!? )

Ticket Note: [coworker] 09/19/2008 - Attempted contact, no answer, Left message at contact number asking Mr [customer] to call us. - 3:00pm
    Ticket Note: [coworker] 09/19/2008 - Attempted contact again. 4:00 pm
    Ticket Note: [coworker] 09/19/2008 - Attempted contact again. Will wait on customer call back. 5:00 pm

Today ticket 2 came back into the rotation since it has been 1 week and there have been no new notes made.

Our E-mail reply:
    Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 2:16 PM
    To: [customers e-mail]
    Cc: 'Tickets@company.com'
    Subject: Ticket 4552 FW: Ticket 4484

Hello [customer],

Below is our original reply to your request for assistance in registering on the My Account portal. This reply has gone unanswered. Since then we have also left a message at your contact number of [phone number] which also has gone unanswered. In order to assist you we need you to follow the steps outlined below.

Please attempt one more time to register your phone and then reply to this e-mail with your user name, the phone number you are registering, and the verification code you receive. Please DO NOT attempt to enter the verification code you receive on the verification page. Also please make sure you only attempt to register once as the verification code you e-mail us must be the most recent one.

Have a great day

Thank You,
    Chanlin
    Company
    [company phone number]

Sadly the story does not end here. The customer called in and got transfered to me. Our conversation went something like this.

Me: *opening speil*

SC: Hi this is Mr [customer] calling, I'm returning a message I got from [coworker who noted ticket].

Me: Ok. Did you also receive the e-mail we sent you today?

SC: Yes. I'm telling you I've tried entering so many registration codes, this is getting really frustrating. You guys need to fix your website.

Me: Ok, what I need you to do is just what it says in the e-mail. Try to register again, but instead of entering the verification code on the website, e-mail it to us along with your user name and the phone number you are trying to register and we can process the registration manually.

SC: Why don't you guys just do it for me?

Me: We are planning on doing just that, but we need you to follow the instructions we sent you to do that.

SC: This is a terrible inconvenience.

Me: Sir I sympathize with that, however, this process is designed as a security measure to prevent person who do not own a particular phone from registering it to their account.

SC: Why is it such a big deal?

Me: Because once the phone is registered you are able to view private call records which includes phone numbers that you have made and received calls from. The security process is to protect the privacy of our customers. Thats why we need to you be able to tell us the verification code you received on your cellular phone.

SC: Oh... well if it doesn't work this time then you've just lost a customer. *click*

At present we are waiting for this jerk off to e-mail us the requested information.... I will update the thread once this is all resolved one way or the other. Needless to say I'm a bit miffed that this idiot is blaming us for his inability to follow instructions. I'm actually rather surprised he isn't screaming or complaining that it took us so long to contact him....

Quoth Chanlin View Post
    SC: Oh... well if it doesn't work this time then you've just lost a customer. *click*
    sigh when will they learn. Something tells me y'all aren't that worried about losing this customer at this point.

Comment

I had that same problem when I wa trying to activate my pre-paid Virgin cell phone. Tried doing that online. But never could, instead had to call it in. I told the REP that they should fix that website.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
        I had that same problem when I wa trying to activate my pre-paid Virgin cell phone. Tried doing that online. But never could, instead had to call it in. I told the REP that they should fix that website.
        I'm sure you followed their instructions when you called it in though

My biggest annoyance with this guy is he ignored not one, but two e-mails telling him what he needed to do and then on the phone more or less tells me that its our fault its not working for him.
        Last edited by Chanlin; 09-26-2008, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X