This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
    I think that you're supposed to have a little sign on your yard telling people (kind of like those signs stating you have an alarm system.)

Also there is a specific dog collar the dog has to be wearing for it to work (it has a big black box on it.) Not sure exactly because both our dogs are trained to stay in our yard or in the woods just behind it so we don't have to worry about it so much haha.
    There is and they can be expensive to replace if they break.

The last family my Mom worked for had one of those Invisible Fence systems for their Labs (including Buddy Sr.)

Bad part of that system was that Buddy Sr. would break his collar every so often and next thing we knew, he'd be gone. And he wasn't hard to find, as those Mountain Labradors are HUMONGOUS dogs. It's like having a huge, fuzzy horse coming at you.

75 bucks a pop to replace the collar . . . and during the time Mom worked for this family, he broke at least 6 - could've been more but then that was several years ago.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

some of the homes near my apartment complex have them. some have little posts along the property that have tiny "invisible fence" signs on them. one doesn't but the way their dog runs along the property line, it's clear there's one there.

if we ever get a real home though... we'll just put a regular fence up. nothing against the invisies, but... our dog's a sight-hound so, I can just picture her seeing a squirrel on the other side of the invisible fence and running through it, despite the shocks, to get at the squirrel. heh.

plus we're not going to have her outside unsupervised anyway. in case she gets out, but also in case another animal comes in to hurt her, or a person. etc
      Last edited by PepperElf; 11-11-2012, 04:11 AM.

Comment

I knew a guy years ago that had a very big dog. Not sure of the breed but this thing was BIG. As in if it stood on 2 legs his front legs would be on a 6 foot tall person shoulders.

He tried everything to keep that dog on his property. It would break big chains, not the collar the dang chain, it would knock down fences or go over them. He even tried the electic fences farmers used to keep cows in their fields. I watched this dog get zapped on its nose by the wire. It backed up then tried again. This time when it zapped him he grabbed it in his mouth and pulled it down.

Been years, never found out how he controled him or if he just got rid of him. Nice dog but it just didn't want "locked up"... lol

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
          Those collars do have to be correctly calibrated. I used to work with someone who had an invisible fence, and their younger dog suddenly started getting past it. Turns out as he grew up, the initial setting on the collar became too low to affect him, and they had to turn it up.
          One of my old dogs, Sam...a lab retriever....kept getting out, so we got an invisible fence. Did not work. We kept turning up the power, and she completely ignored it. One day, after yet another escape, we realized it was turned up to full power. My dad was ticked, and said that it must not be working. He put the contacts in his hand and stormed towards the fence.

The screams were heard for blocks. Our neighbors nearly called the police.

Yeeeep. Sam was just bulldozing through it, and she just was flat out ignoring the pain. My mother's solution was to then get the dog so fat she couldn't jump the fence any more. XD
          By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Deevil View Post
            Dogs really shouldn't be left out alone in yards that have invisible fence. If a dog sees a squirrel or rabbit, it may be so intent on getting the critter it will ignore the shock and go right past the boundary. Now it is on the wrong side and if he tries to go back in to the yard where he belongs, he will get zapped. Some dogs will figure out that they can edge to where the collar gives the warning beep, stay in that zone until the battery on the collar wears down and then go out of the yard. And finally, even if a dog is perfectly trained and would never in a million years leave the yard, there is nothing stopping an attack by a stray dog.
            I agree wholeheartedly! When we were considering adopting a greyhound, we were told that an invisible fence WOULD NOT WORK as they move so fast, they'd be beyond the fence before it had a chance to work!

But yeah, I can see people thinking the dog wasn't secured in some way. A nice little picket fence would do well to keep other dogs out and show people the dog is secure.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
              But yeah, I can see people thinking the dog wasn't secured in some way. A nice little picket fence would do well to keep other dogs out and show people the dog is secure.
              As long as the HOA allows it. Where I lived (and where our neighbors had a Great Dane with the invisible fence), fences around your property were not allowed. It seemed a few managed to get by with little foot-tall decorative borders, but that was it.

Our across-the-street neighbor got away with enclosing just her porch with a fence and letting the dogs just run around up alongside the side of the house. She also had them very well-trained to stay in the yard. Sometimes, they'd jump the fence around the porch and get out, but at least they stayed in the yard (for the most part).
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I know of some thread on some other forum where a person was trying to get around the "no fence" rule by putting in bushes, instead.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

In my neighborhood, you're not allowed to have a fence in your front yard. Back yards are fine for fences. Anyway, one of my former neighbors had an Irish Setter, who loved to play outside. They didn't have a back yard--their house was up against the woods, and really too steep to play in. So they put in the invisible fence, and would let the dog play out front. Never unsupervised, but he did get out on occasion. Even with the deterrent up full blast, it wouldn't stop him. Turns out that his collar would move in such a way that the contacts were slightly off his neck...thwarting the system! After the crazies next to my parents complained to the borough, he got a nice new yard to play in. That is, the back yard got cleared (at massive cost, I'm sure) and a real fence went up. The thing that bugged me about that type of fence, is that it really wasn't a barrier to the dog. What if the power was out...and he escaped? Plus, some dogs just love to run. My grandmother once had a beagle like that. If the front door was open a hair, he'd be in the next county before she got outside!
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                    Plus, some dogs just love to run. My grandmother once had a beagle like that. If the front door was open a hair, he'd be in the next county before she got outside!
                    My husky is like that. inside, he's fine, and even laconic. Back yard with the 7-foot fence, he's fine. Manages to nudge open an askew front door? VOOOOOOOOOOM! Thank diety he has clearly-written ID tags and a microchip >_> Ain't no way anybody around here is gonna catch him.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                    X