This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppy staredown

While on my way home from work today, came across the most incredible stare down of all time.

I have to drive up a hill on my way home. At the bottom of the hill, I see a car with its flashers on. As I get closer to the top, I see the car is not pulled to the side, but stopped in the opposite lane.

As I get a bit closer, I see something white in the road in front of her car. It is a white dachshund mix.

It's just standing in the road, staring at her car. She stares back.

I've slowed down to see if there is something to be careful as I pass by. Dog turns, looks at me, and moves over into my lane and stops and stares at me

I stop and tap the horn. Dog jumps, and finally moves out of the road.

Dog: 1
    Me: 1
    Other driver: 0
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Hehe. Brave puppy!

There was an adoption event going on at Petsmart today. They had some cute ones. I can't haz.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I can never go to those events....I wanna take em all home.

Comment

I just happened to be in the shopping center; I wasn't there on purpose. But there was a Chihuahua (maybe a mix, she was a little big for a Chi), some kind of shepherd mix with a mohawk going down her back , and a baby Golden Retriever, I think it was, and a few others I couldn't tell what breeds. Then I went in a peeked in at the cats. There were some cuties there, too.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
          I can never go to those events....I wanna take em all home.
          That's why I can't volunteer at a pet shelter, I'd wind up with as many as they'd let me take.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            some kind of shepherd mix with a mohawk going down her back ,
            Perhaps mixed with Rhodesian Ridgeback?
            and a baby Golden Retriever,
            Aww.
            Then I went in a peeked in at the cats. There were some cuties there, too.
            Yeah, I'm in the same boat as everyone else; I can't resist the cute animals and want to take them all home with me!
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              Perhaps mixed with Rhodesian Ridgeback?
              LOL, I doubt it. Too small

Aww.
              I know! And he was just laying on the sidwalk in that flat-puppy sleeping position, sound asleep at one of the volunteers' feet...never mind the people stepping right over him. I wanted to curl up with him.

Comment

the only reason why I'm not "that crazy cat lady" -- my two cats would maim then torment me if I dared to bring more cats into their abode (why yes, I am well trained by those two.....)
                Your story may not have such a happy beginning, but that doesn't make you who you are. It is the rest of your story who you choose to be. So who are you? - Kung Fu Panda 2

Comment

That reminds me of when my boyfriend was younger, driving home with his mom, when the neighbor's stupid dog came running up the road towards their car. And running, and running. They kept switching lanes, but the dog did too and kept coming. They finally stopped and sat there. The dog didn't stop and RAN INTO their car! The neighbors complained about them hitting their dog, but how do you explain that the dog hit you!?
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Suicidal dog?

My only dog+road story that I can recall didn't involve a car. During high school, I babysat a pair of kids each day in the summer while their parents worked. They lived about two roads away (this is out in the country), so I would bike to their house every morning, and bike back every afternoon. One of the houses I passed always let their dog run loose in the yard, and it liked to chase things that went by in the road. I, on my bike, was a favorite target. Luckily, I had to come down a steep-ish hill right before passing this house, so each day, by the time the dog noticed me and started running for the road, I'd gained enough momentum that I easily passed the house and was gone before the dog got anywhere near (and it was at least smart enough to not go far beyond the borders of its property).

Then one day, one of my younger sisters came to babysit with me. On our way back home that afternoon, she was ahead of me on the hill by a fair margin, since I didn't want to risk crashing into her. This meant the dog saw her first and started running. As before, it missed her. This time, though, because I was behind, the dog was able to actually come abreast of me instead of missing me as before. As it got closer, I could see its teeth bared, and was afraid it was going to bite (defending its territory, maybe?). So I did the only thing I could think of: I shouted at it, "Back off, dumb dog!" in my loudest, harshest voice I could muster. I think it was a bit fear-fueled there. It did the trick, though. The dog genuinely looked surprised and pulled up short, not two feet away from me, and I left it in the dust.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Reminded me of my Grandparents dog in Italy, Zeba, if I recall correctly? It's been a long time, so I'm unsure of that.

Anyhoo, Zeba, she was a Pyrenees Mountain Dog that my uncle had found one year, unsurprisingly, in the mountains. Brought her home and she was from that day forth my grandparents dog. Grew up big and strong, gentle as a lamb.

She'd go out twice during the day. Once at night to just... walk around. See what was up. By herself too. Bright white, so noone ever had a concern about her being hit.

But it was during the day that was truly amazing. She'd walk off from the house, and go to the school, the younger kids school. Then she'd wait outside until school let out, and sit in the middle of the road, stopping traffic so the kids could cross the road safely.

Haven't thought about Zeba in years. Damn I loved that creature.

Comment

Closest I've come to vehicular foul play for anything other than birds (which love to dive in front of me now and then) was shortly after I'd gotten my driver's permit when I was 15.

Was driving through the neighborhood with my mother in the car, practising, when three dogs just up and waltzed out in front of me, staring at me as though saying 'THis is OUR road', and I hadn't quite grasped how important it was to avoid hitting animals, as I worried if I swerved I might hit a car or mailbox.

Thankfully my mother bellowed 'STOP!' and I correctly slammed on the brakes in time, while the three dogs wandered past the car, seemingly smug at having caused my heartrate to triple.

Comment

Working...
                        X