This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls these days.

Today, I was standing outside my store making a few changes to a display. I had been digging through boxes of stuff all day, and apparently I was a little dusty.

I could see an older man (about 70, I'd say) approaching me in the corner of my vision. Suddenly, he grabs me by the arm with one hand and starts to rub my back with the other! I twisted around, saw that I didn't recognize him, and smacked him (lightly) on the hand that held my arm. He looked shocked and a little frightened, which (thankfully) prevented me from smacking him across the face.

Then we had the following conversation:

Man: Ouch! What did you do that for? You had dust all over your back! I was trying to help!

Me: You can't just go up to women you don't know and grab them, sir! You really shouldn't do that. You're lucky I didn't hurt you.

Man: I don't know why you girls these days are so jumpy.

He wandered off, leaving me shaking my head.

Several thoughts:

1. "Girls these days" in the plural....does he do this often with similar results? If so, why has he not learned his lesson?

2. What does he mean by "these days"? I have news for him...if he'd tried that with my Grandma when she was a young woman in the 1950's, she would have slapped him into the modern age.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Weren't you here for the Dear Abby debate? This old codger clearly had the right to do what did.

Unless you're saying that the infallible Abby gave, dare I say it, poor advice!?
    Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Ditto what Apathy said. Your actions may have cost you a customer, and that's not recommended.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

How could you say such a thing to a (potential?) customer?!?!?

And to TOUCH him? OMG, that's not allowed*!!!

As we all know, he was well within his rights to touch you. However, no one can touch a customer. Or even a maybe potential one.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
          Man: I don't know why you girls these days are so jumpy.
          "Perhaps because nasty old perverts these days think they have the right to grab girls without so much as a by-your-leave?!"

Damn, that's creepy. You might want to let your manager and coworkers know about this bozo so he doesn't try it on anyone else.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I would have hit first & asked questions later.

Comment

He's asking why girls these days are so "jumpy?"!!!!?

What is he, a serial rapist?

I would have said "Why are you creepy perverts so damn grabby these days?!"
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

When I was in Hong Kong recently, had a guy put his hand on my shoulder while trying to shove his way past me on the sidewalk. He received my forceful elbow to the solar plexus for his effort.

For some reason, he stopped touching me.

Next time, Boozy, slap him across the face. Please. He deserved it.

I once made a ... well, suggestion ... to a young lady when I was in my early twenties. I received an immediate open-handed slap across the face. Normally I'm not one to condone violence against myself. Given the suggestion, in hindsight, I deserved it.
                "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

oh my lord
                  i would so be in the hospital being treated for shock if that was me
                  and if that guy wasnt dead he would be in ICU with a broken arm, hip and skull
                  because since he was behind me i would have twisted his arm until i felt a snap or at least until he cried in pain and slammed him to the ground

Comment

I'm voting for perv on this one. Why? Because I find it highly unlikely that if you'd been a man that he'd have done the same thing.

Honestly, even if I saw a family member that was above the age of say, seven or eight, I wouldn't start grabbing and brushing them off. I'd let them know they had dust on their back and go from there. I dunno, like a normal person?
                    "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

normal people suck

LOL, definitely pervy

Comment

Perv's are customers too, let them touch you, it may even help you make a sale.
                        I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                        In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Okay, no violence. Breathe deep, and focus. NO violence.

Say, does extreme yelling count as violence ? Because this one really deserves at least an earful.

Seriously, what the hell was going through his mind ?
                          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

I could be wrong, but I didn't really get a pervert vibe from this guy. He just seemed really clueless.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I'm guessing it's because he grew up in a time when women "knew their place" and rape was the woman's fault. Thankfully most of the people from that time that still believe that will be dead soon.
                              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                              X