This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fish lady (long)

A lady comes in the other day to return a whole bag of dead fish. I wouldn't recommend buying our cheapo fish, since we get people returning them all the time because they die a lot. But at least we have a reasonable (I think) 90 day return policy, so if they die, just freeze them or stick them in a baggy, bring them back with your receipt, and get the money back.

So I get this bag of fish, 9 fish to be exact, and the lady pulls out a handful of receipts. She has a receipt from April for 1 fish, a receipt from mid-February for another fish, and a third receipt from early February (a week past the 90 days) for two more of the fish. So basically, she has valid receipts for 2 fish (the most expensive ones), and no receipts for the other 7.

She wants money back for all of them, which I am not allowed to do, but I offer to get my boss over to ask about it. The lady starts telling me that the reason her other receipt is so old is that she's been exchanging fish all along and that no one gives her a new receipt for them. Uh, no lady, that's not how it works. We cross the fish off your original receipt and give you a new one when you get new fish so that you have a brand new 90 days. My boss comes up and tells her the same thing, but she insists that the pet manager knows her, so we try to contact her.

No luck, pet manager is on lunch, but an assistant manager (above pet manager) is there, and says that the pet manager will be back in 5 minutes, and that since she doesn't know the situation, we have to wait for the pet lady.

I explain the situation to the lady, who was trying to talk to me loudly while I was on the phone with the manager, and I tell her I will refund the fish she has a receipt for, so that when the pet manager shows up, it will go quicker for everyone. She agrees, I refund her two fish, and give her $21 and change. It is 15 minutes after my break time at that point, and so I explain to the other lady at the counter what is going on, reassure the lady that the pet manager will be right along, and then headed to the back for break, hoping that I'd cross paths with the pet manager to tell her what was going on.

I didn't find the pet manager but when I got back from break, she was up there talking to the fish lady. I come back to my register to find a slip saying that the fish refund I had just done was voided. So I ask why, and I was told, "It's because you never gave her the money for her fish. Don't worry, the other service desk lady refunded them and everything is taken care of."

"No, it's not taken care of. I gave this lady her money, I'm pretty sure of it! I remember having to open a new roll of pennies to give her her change!"

The fish lady says, "No, I think you just forgot to give me my money. See, this is where I keep my money *rummages through envelope in purse* and there is only $4 in here. *shows me money* I never got any money from you."

So my boss and the assitant manager run off to go watch the security tape really quickly, and I can't touch my drawer until they come back, so I can't help any customers and I am left there talking to the fish lady, assuring her that the manager would be right back and that I was sorry for taking so long and causing her so much trouble. She was like, "It's ok, you were just busy, I'm not mad."

The assistant manager comes back and goes up to the lady. "We just watched the tape, do you perhaps have the money in your left pocket?"
    "No, it's not in there, all I have is $40 the other lady gave me *pulls out money* and some change *pulls out the $21 I gave her.* Oh, here it is after all! This isn't where I keep my money!" They have me redo the refund, assuring me that everything is ok, and then the pets manager goes back with the fish lady to help her select some more fish.

As the lady rounds the corner, I realize- they just refunded her twice for the fish, once by me and once by the other lady, and that she still has the extra $21! The assistant manager disappears and then comes back again with the $21. I was just shaking my head at this point. Not only had the lady been refunded for her whole bag of fish ($70 worth) when she only had the receipt for 2 fish, but she had also almost managed to get a refund for some of them twice. Then, she came back to the counter to ring up her new fish so that we would make sure she got a proper receipt this time, but she seemed confused for a minute when I asked her for money for the new fish.

I can't tell still if she was an annoying scammer, or just particularly scatterbrained.

Sounds like a scammer to me. Our store just installed new cameras ant a lot more at the registers. I have heard that we have caught a few people that we would have never caught before.

Comment

This is actually a well-documented scam, and one of the reasons it tends to work so well is that there a many variations and all of which are easily explained away as the customer being 'scatterbrained' if they're caught out.

There's a scene in American Gods where Mr Wednesday keeps changing his mind about paying with card or cash in a café, cards and cash and change go back and forth, and eventually manages to get the cashier to pay him for the privilege of having him there
      ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

American Gods is a good book.

Comment

No doubt about it: SCAMMER.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Wait, I think I counted three refunds, 1st when you did it, 2nd when the other service desk lady did iot, 3rd when you re-rang it, or did you not give her any money that 3rd time?
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Ok I have to ask: who the hell returns fish?
              Actually, having worked returns at Wal Mart I should know this. It's the same people who return used children's underwear and expect a refund because, "It's not like my kid has AIDS or anything."
              IMO you shouldn't be able to return pets if they die, since chances are (unless it's only a couple of days since purchase) they died because of the customer's neglect.
              Which is also why I don't think people should be able to return plants.
              Oh it shriveled up and died? Shame. Did you water it? No? Oh ok, here's your money back anyway.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                Wait, I think I counted three refunds, 1st when you did it, 2nd when the other service desk lady did iot, 3rd when you re-rang it, or did you not give her any money that 3rd time?
                I didn't give her any money the 3rd time. I just rerang it since she had the money in her pocket so my drawer didn't come up short.

Comment

Her actions were pretty fishy and there's no doubt in my mind that she was scamming.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                  X