This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
    Although I suppose if you have body mods you do it because you want people to notice.
    A common, and personally offensive, misconception.
    But then again using the logic of, "I like the way it looks and wanted it," (in reference to a piercing, since tattoos can have meaning) doesn't seem to be enough for people.

Comment

I had an acquantance who said something like "I'll get eyebrow piercings, that will shock the conservative mofos!" Three months later, with the piercings (which by his own admission he'd gotten just to shock people) he was whinging about not being able to find a job "because they don't like my piercings". He shut up when I pointed out that he'd gotten the reaction he was after!

The reason he couldn't get a job wasn't the piercings (they were just the excuse, I've seen pierced people working in some of the places he applied to), it was his general lack of professionalism.

Quoth rerant View Post
      (in reference to a piercing, since tattoos can have meaning)
      Not always the meaning you think it does: during the Australian Big Brother launch, one guy who thought his tattoo said "warrior" in Japanese found it out actually says "dirt".

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
        ...Not always the meaning you think it does: during the Australian Big Brother launch, one guy who thought his tattoo said "warrior" in Japanese found it out actually says "dirt".
        Check out www.hanzismatter.com for similar hilarity.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
          Not always the meaning you think it does: during the Australian Big Brother launch, one guy who thought his tattoo said "warrior" in Japanese found it out actually says "dirt".
          Still not as bad as the guy with one on his back that said, "Please don't tell him we wrote all this shit on his back. He thinks it's a sailboat."
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I am not a big fan of stretched ear lobes or lots of facial piercings, but it's a right people have, and who am I to judge? I just go on with my day and leave that person alone. I just wish more people would do the same.

A little different than piercings and tattoos, but why does everyone HAVE to stare and make crude comments about makeup? I KNOW I have a lot of "shit" on my eyes. I think it's cool. I know I don't "need" to wear it, I WANT to wear it. I know how to put it on. I'm sorry I can't be cool and "natural" like the rest of you.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
              A little different than piercings and tattoos, but why does everyone HAVE to stare and make crude comments about makeup? I KNOW I have a lot of "shit" on my eyes. I think it's cool. I know I don't "need" to wear it, I WANT to wear it. I know how to put it on. I'm sorry I can't be cool and "natural" like the rest of you.
              I feel the same way when people ask why I have "those things" in my face.
              "Those things" are two very small silver dots on my face with gold jewels in them.

People need to learn how to stay within their boundaries. It's no one's business how much "shit" you wear on your eyes, just like it's no one's business to pester me about "those things" in my face.
              Much like you're not a fan of tattoos and piercings, I'm not a fan of wearing much makeup. But wonder of wonders I found the magic key to being able to coexist with those who DO like it. That being I don't give a damn.
              People can do what they wish and so long as it doesn't affect me directly then who cares?

If you want to comment about it behind my back, fine. At least then I don't have to listen to your inane ramblings.

I just hate when people say that someone does something, anything, for attention or to be noticed. It couldn't possibly be just because we like it. No. We crave the attention of others THAT much that we're willing to endure people's stupidity as a result of our actions.
              Last edited by rerant; 05-05-2008, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Some attention I appreciate with my makeup. The people who stop me to ask just how in the world I had the patience to get it to look like that, or how I did it......or that it looks so cool....I always appreciate that.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I was asked the other day if I got annoyed when people asked about or pointed to my wrist. My answer is that I don't really, I put it there for me and only for me, I don't care what anyone else thinks about it, but I also put it there realizing that it is not flesh colored and it's not normal and that people would notice.

I think people who have mods could agree, we understand that you notice them, and if your civil in your questions or pointing them out, we don't care. It gets annoying when you are rude about it, no matter what your preconceptions are.
                  "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

Comment

This reminds me of a topic that has come up on another board I'm on. One of the things they noticed was the fact that people do disapprove and are disgusted by visible tattoos, peircings, etc. Some people thing this is a plus, others...not so much.

But one thing that surprised me in that thread was how often these people would be bothered by someone else that had a tattoo. They would grab that person's arm/hand/whatever to get a better look, randomly ask if they wanted to compare tattoos, etc. They were really annoyed by the lack of courtesy in that situation.
                    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

i was told at my work no pierces except for ears. When ever i hear that i have to resist.
                      I always want to aska bout religouse piercings because if they openly say no i could so sue them even if i wasnt of the religion...

Comment

I don't have any body piercings I love the way they look, just not on me. I do have 3 tatt's though.

When I applied for my current position here in insurance, I was hired with bright blue streaks in my hair. So far I've had blue, green, purple and my current is Vampire Red. But the HR manager doesn't it at all and I was denied a promotion because of it.

Funny how much a wig changes things, especially when it makes me look like I fit in... Yeah, sorry, I have to change how I dress and modify my behavior here at work. The last thing I'm going to do is give myself completely to any corporation. So I take *all* my hair (It's almost to my waist) and put it in a wig every morning.

Silly as it may sound, I refuse to change my hair color for any job. And if I have to change my hair color to something "normal" then let my come into work with my wallet chain instead of this stupid ass purse and heels.

Give and take, baby.

(I've got a head shot up in my profile is anyone is interested - My normal non working style of dress is a cross between punk, goth, metal-head)
                        Last edited by Gothicsmurf; 05-05-2008, 03:28 PM.
                        You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

I'm the kind of guy that says if you are a consenting adult, you have the right to do what you want to do. I do not mind body mods but have not done it myself and I like some tattoos. I'm sorry though, if someone has a mohawk haircut that is dyed bright neon blue with red stripes (a bit extreme, i know but trying to make a point), do not be offended when someone stares at it. It IS a cry for attention. I dont care if you do it, (its not my skin, why should it bother me?), just dont get whiny about how people "stare" at you or "roll" their eyes or whatever.
                          I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Not sure if that is in reference to me or not, but in public, I don't mind the looks. I find it comical actually.

Here at work though it pisses me off. I'm one of the top performers here in my department. I'm here daily, don't complain when I have to actually work, have some of the highest numbers, make suggestions to improve the department and then be denied a promotion because of my hair color? I call BS on that one. Once I started wearing a brown wig into work, and the HR manager now says it's alright for me to look for a promotion.... Yeah, don't think I'm crazy.
                            You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

My wife gets comments on her tattoo all the time (when it's visible) mainly "Oh my it's so big" or similar.

Body mods and "odd" hair color don't bother me really. I don't understand a good deal of them, but I'd never not hire someone solely based on the way they look. In all honesty it really bothers me to hear that people have been denied a job or promotion because of something. To me it's discrimination, but I'll stop now.

My wife's tat: (That's her entire lower back)

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                                In all honesty it really bothers me to hear that people have been denied a job or promotion because of something. To me it's discrimination, but I'll stop now.
                                Oh yeah. In the process of out-side job hunting. Once I get a new position lined up, with HR. Just kind of waiting until the time is right. I've got statements from my current super as well as a copy of my HR file... with nothing *bad* in it. So HR found a "loop" hole and used it, even though it's NOT valid.

Right now I'm playing

That's a killer tatt-too!
                                Last edited by Gothicsmurf; 05-05-2008, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X