This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Can you get someone who knows what they're talking about?"

Today was another Saturday at Target, where I work on the sales floor. I was called over to the patio furniture area to assist some people. This is slightly less about the customer than it is about the nature of staffing at Megacorp©, but since the latter was precipitated by the former I'm putting it in the 'Sucky Customers' forum.
    A couple was interested in a lounge chair. Their first question, perfectly reasonable, was whether or not the lounge chair comes with a cushion, because there was none on the floor model but one of the pictures showed it with a cushion. Being fairly new, I wasn't sure. I said something like: "I don't think so, but I'm not sure," and reassured them I would figure it out. It took me about 35 seconds to figure that the best thing to do would be to retrieve the item from the back room (since they wanted to buy it anyway) and open it to see if a cushion is included -- but that was 10 seconds after the man lost patience and asked: "Can you call someone who knows what they're doing?"
    Being human, I took umbrage to the question and for the sake of dignity elected to explain the way our staffing works. The following is slightly more detailed than my explanation, but they got the gist of it: Despite the fact the store has 34 defined sections (e.g. furniture, cosmetics, automotive, jewelry, sporting goods, babies, cleaning supplies, etc...), sales floor employees only work in one of two regions: "soft lines" (clothing & jewelry) or "hard lines" (almost everything else). I work in hard lines, and they do not assign us to any one area on a permanent basis. In other words, at any given time I may be called upon to help people with questions about bikes, insecticide, barbecues, humidifiers, vacuums, mirrors, chairs, microwaves, bedspreads, fabric patches, water coolers, sleeping bags, napkin holders, paper shredders, car batteries, face paint, remote-controlled helicopters, rechargeable electric inflatable mattress pumps.. ad infinitum.
    In addition, we're supposed to ask every customer if they need help--though after being told by people two or three times directly or in the second-person (to their companion) that I don't know what I'm talking about I've learned to try to avoid asking that question when I happen to be working in an area I know absolutely nothing about; because they're right.

So, back to today. In all fairness it's not unreasonable for someone looking at outdoor furniture to want to speak to someone who knows about outdoor furniture; except there are no people who specialize in anything other than electronics or gardening, which are separate positions. Furthermore, busy days do not afford us the luxury of calling any of the other staff members for help unless it is really necessary.
    I gave the guy my shpeel but cut it short in the interest of resolving the inquiry. I retrieved the lounge, it comes with a cushion, and this man showed he wasn't a total ass by thanking me for my help.
    Last edited by Applerod; 05-11-2008, 06:40 AM.

So, this guy couldn't wait a few minutes to ensure that cushions came with their chair? What a jerk!

Please note: the following isn't a dig at big box store workers. There's no way that you can possibly know everything about every product.

That's why I love little specialty stores. The employees normally know a LOT about what they're selling ... and, for me, it's worth the added price.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

^Like I said, this is less about the shopper and more about a larger problem inherent to megastores, which you mentioned. I've had far ruder encounters with customers; it's just that customers--through no fault of their own--sometimes encounter frustrating or less-than-ideal shopping experiences they do not understand. In the absence of additional information and/or explanation, the knee-jerk tendency is to attribute (if at all) sub-par service to a flaw or failing of the individual rendering the service. Sometimes that's true; most of the time it's not. If I could maintain a state of egolessness then direct accusations or insinuations of incompetence would never register and would never bother me, but since I'm not that evolved I remain somewhat vulnerable to such comments.

Regarding specialty stores, I couldn't agree with you more -- and these smaller stores are where I'm currently searching for alternative employment.
      Last edited by Applerod; 05-11-2008, 07:05 AM.

Comment

I pictured you sitting the man down on said furniture while you took out a dry erase board and drew a diagram about how your store works. That would have been hilarious!

Instead of patiently waiting for you to go and get the information - he spouted off and had to wait a few minutes longer while you explained how things worked at the store - brilliant!
        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Impatient much? Seriously. Waiting a few minutes to get more info doesn't kill anybody.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Regarding specialty stores, I couldn't agree with you more -- and these smaller stores are where I'm currently searching for alternative employment.
            Of course, once you leave the SuperMegaCorp environment, you can easily step foot into WeirdoLand.
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Ah, Target. Where I am an expert on children's athletic cups ("What size is my child?!?"), hardware to fix strollers, medicine ("I have a burning in my chest; what should I get for it?"), sheet thread counts, bicycle tires, men's underwear and women's fashion.

Comment

Thanking you for helping him doesn't make the fact that he was an ass disappear, IMO.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

*waves at the fellow bullseye bearers* Do I ever know your pain...I'm up at the service counter, I'm expected to know the exact location (aisle, shelf, and what it sits between), function, expected life span, color, warranty information, size (and whether it will fit in X type of car), and location of manufacture for every item in the store, both hardlines and softlines.
                  It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
                    medicine ("I have a burning in my chest; what should I get for it?")
                    Take them to the fire extinguishers.

Seriously, most Target stores have a pharmacy, don't they? Though they close earlier than the rest of the store so that doesn't always work..

Anyway...I love Target. I practically live across the street from a Walmart and I think I've been there 3 times in the ~6 months I've lived in this apartment, and all for specific purposes (ie, last resort). Target is 15 minutes away at least but I probably average once a week there, sometimes not for anything in particular. I don't usually ask for help much but if I ever do now I have some insight into how things work, so thanks
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

"Can you get someone who knows what they're talking about?"

I find the quickest reponse to this is a nice "I beg your pardon?" in a tone of voice that would freeze magma. It's the closest thing you can do to give a big warning that this conversation is going to end poorly, quickly. Every time I've said that, the SC realizes what s/he said and apologized/backed down.

Comment

Quoth Raerlynn View Post
                        in a tone of voice that would freeze magma.
                        Magma freezes at something like 600C. I think you meant helium which freezes at 0K.
                        Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Working...
                        X