Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here not like to take their breaks?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto to Android Kaeli and dragon_wings. When I was on a register, I used to survive by counting down the time to my break. It was only 15 minutes (including the time you took to get to the break room, so don't stop to help any customers ...) but it kept me sane.

When I was a night editor at the newspaper, I never took breaks. Partly because it wasn't encouraged (the first day I was there, I waited my whole shift for someone to tell me when my supper break was ... ) but also because there was often a lot of down time, so you could decompress then.

Also, there was, especially in my last 5 years or so, nowhere in the building to go anyway. They'd ripped out what used to be the lunchroom (turned it into workspace) and never replaced it, so either you went to the coffee shop up the street (within easy walking distance) or got in your car and drove somewhere. Or ate at your desk.

Comment

I stopped taking 15 minute breaks when I stopped smoking 5 years ago. Besides, those kind of breaks are a priviledge, not a right.

As far as 30 minute lunch breaks go, if you work over 7.5 hours you have to take one. 5 hours if you're a minor. So I take it because I have to. I think it's bullshit, but I guess they don't want to get sued because someone complained their rights were violated.
      Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

I hate taking breaks. At my current (and what was my first) job, breaks aren't allowed. I think we signed some sort of agreement that we wouldn't be taking breaks whatsoever. Except for the smokers, and I don't smoke. I had a coworker once insist that I take a break, and I stepped outside, and was cold, bored and just didn't know what I was supposed to do.

My phone job had breaks, but they also seemed wholly unnecessary. The lunch break was nice I guess, but at my food service job I can just eat on the clock.

Comment

As I only get a half hour for lunch, I try and take at least ten minutes of that. However once the newbie starts I've been told by my manager I am taking my lunch break, I am taking the full 30 and I am taking the newbie with me. This is mostly so we don't freak the poor girl out about how busy we get.
          "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

Don't get me wrong. My lunch hour was vital. Partly from stress, and partly from diabetes. It's just that I never could be sure exactly when it was going to be each day. Corporate had a schedule, yes, they were that micromismanaging. But their schedule never worked. Most often, I'd wait an extra hour because that would be when a second janitor would finally come on.

It was the fifteen minute breaks that I used far less often due to lack of staff.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I get half-hour breaks. And I *need* every second of them, and then some.

But I'm salary, so I get paid the same whether I take them or not. Some days I don't get them, some days I don't want them. Days like today, I'm desperate for them - and I have to leave and go back to work now.

At least we close in three-ish hours. I need some REST.

Comment

The 15 minute breaks were meh. I HATED the hour long lunch since I eat fast. It just dragged out the 9 hour work day at the grocery store. At the airport, there were nights that after I did my 15 minutes of daily checks, there were no planes and nothing else to do until 0530 when I made coffee for the morning crew. I liked that job, just hated the management. I did a lot of reading...

Comment

I think I'd have already left if I wasn't allowed breaks. This place drives me batty. I need those breaks to stay sane. I even leave the building for my lunch.

Comment

When I'm at a desk job, I tend to take my breaks at my desk. I bring my lunch back to eat it there. I have one or two colleagues who are trying to be my bestest friend right now, adding a while new level of terror to the term 'charm offensive'.

Rapscallion

Comment

I HATE being at my job, so I like to get it over with and get home as soon as possible. We get two paid 15 minute breaks and an unpaid 45 minute lunch each day, but I only leave my desk to use the restroom and to heat up food, which I take back to my desk and eat while working. I'm sure that if any of the higher-ups found out about this, I'd be in trouble and forced to take breaks, but I really don't see that happening.

Of course, I do take the odd 2 minutes here and there to check sites like this one, when my brain needs a breather.
                      "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

As a restaurant manager, I get no breaks. I do have the perk of being able to eat whatever I want for free, though.

I think the only time I sit down is the end of the night doing the closing paperwork (if I am closing), as for opening, I get to sit for about an hour.

Great exercise, though.....
                        "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
                        "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                          When I'm at a desk job, I tend to take my breaks at my desk. I bring my lunch back to eat it there. I have one or two colleagues who are trying to be my bestest friend right now, adding a while new level of terror to the term 'charm offensive'. Rapscallion
                          You sound like a particular coworker of mine.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            You sound like a particular coworker of mine.
                            You lucky, lucky...

Rapscallion

Comment

I'm quite militant when it comes to breaks - if I am contracted to have (for example) 50 minutes then 50 minutes I shall have.

The job doesn't pay me for my breaks so I'm damned if I work for them for free!
                              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I'm picky about my break at this point too. And yes, I said break. My company requires that any employee working over 4 fours and up to 8 gets 2 ten minute breaks. Then we get a meal if we work over six hours per state law.

My manager gives us one break. Period. Anything under 7 hours gets a 10 minute break, 7 and above gets a hour lunch.

So I'm gonna take my single break, thank you very much.

And keep calling district.
                                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                                X