Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure if I did the right thing.

This happened last night and I'm starting to second-guess myself.

A guest called down to the desk to let me know that it sounded like a domestic situation next door and told me bits of the conversation. Based on this alone, she wanted me to call the police.

Instead, I went up to check for myself. As I was getting off the elevator, the guest who called me earlier stepped out of her room and asked "aren't you going to call the police?'

I responded, "I came up to find out for myself what was going on."

The guest seemed appalled that I would hesitate to do something. My reasoning is this. If I were to call the cops without verifying for myself, then all I would have is hearsay. And I wanted to be sure the guest wasn't just pulling my leg.

Turns out though that there was arguing with language, but as far as I know, it hadn't escalated to anything physical. So since I did hear the arguing, I called the cops and they went up to check on the room.

Your thoughts? I sincerely hope this is not something for Fratching, but if so, I'll gladly have this reposted there and provide a link or something here.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Tough call. Does your system let guests call the police directly?

Comment

I'd say err on the side of caution, but let the police know that you're doing that. If you have a cordless phone that you can take with you to the relevant floor, call the police while going to the floor - that way if you end up suddenly discovering that the fight has moved into the hallway, you're actually already on the phone to them.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I would think that if the guest thought that their neighbors were enough of a problem to warrant a call to the police, they would do so themselves.

I know my first thought wouldn't be to call down to the front desk if I thought there were a serious problem that would require police intervention.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
          Yes. We can see where the 911 call was made. I'd imagine that if a guest is having a major medical problem, they'd want to have access to call emergency right away.
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
            Quoth Mr Hero View Post
            Yes. We can see where the 911 call was made.
            Then if the situation were that urgent the guest should've called 911 directly. I think you were entirely in the right to investigate personally.

Comment

I had something like this happen about a week ago. Except, things did get physical, and I was even called downtown to give a statement. In that case, the guest who reported it "didn't want to be involved", which is why she called me instead of the PD.

I always try to investigate first. In the case cited, I couldn't reach the guest because his phone was off the hook. But I did try. Unless the person calling me is frantic, which indicates some real bad sh*t is going down, I try to do my research first.

No, you can't assume the guest is going to call the PD. Many times, we've had a fight break out, and didn't find out until the next day when guests complained about it. When asked why they didn't call someone, they all say "Well surely someone must have told you guys!" Yeah, sure, unfortunately, we don't have a "Someone" registered.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                When asked why they didn't call someone, they all say "Well surely someone must have told you guys!" Yeah, sure, unfortunately, we don't have a "Someone" registered.
                No, 'cause everybody else was hoping someone else would do it.

I'd make a point of letting them know that people die when everybody relies on "someone" else to make the call.

Needless to say, there will be no Kitty Genoveses on my watch.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm reminded of a time when there was a crash in front of my house. My mom did the right thing and called 911. The dispatcher asked if this was about the accident on *street* and she said it was. Dispatcher told her that someone had already called in.

Point is, it's never a bad thing to call even if someone else did. I wonder that myself though. Why didn't my guest make the call directly?

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    Point is, it's never a bad thing to call even if someone else did. I wonder that myself though. Why didn't my guest make the call directly?
                    Either they just don't want to be involved, or they're idiots. Or they're exaggerating, which is why you did the right thing by trying to get more information by investigating.

I like to tell them, "and can I transfer 911 to your room so you can tell them what you're witnessing?" Their response will usually tell me which of the above it is. (911 will often request to be transferred to them anyway if all the information I have on the situation is "So-and-so told me to call you.")
                    Last edited by bhskittykatt; 10-29-2011, 10:45 AM.
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I think you did the right thing. You can't tell if the guy calling you is just playing a dirty prank or trying to get someone else in trouble.
                      Check my blog at http://ericthetechguy.blogspot.com/

Comment

bhs, I love your response. Next a situation happens, I'll remember to ask if I forward the 911 call to their room.

Comment

Too be honest, I'd probably call the FD first and expect them to handle it, unless I thought I personally was in danger or saw someone bleeding. Some small part of me is afraid of calling police unless it's a dire emergency, I don't know why. But the guest was obviously very concerned, so I'm a bit surprised she didn't call the cops herself.

OP, I think you did the right thing. I've had guests claim there was a fight, when the room next door was just being boisterous, loud and watching a movie. Unless the guest sounds desperate like you should call the cops now Now NOW, then gauging the situation for yourself is a good thing.
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            I'd say err on the side of caution, but let the police know that you're doing that. If you have a cordless phone that you can take with you to the relevant floor, call the police while going to the floor -
                            This -- and I would say get the guest's name who asked you to call 911 (either from them or from the computer if you can) and tell the cops you're calling on THEIR behalf, and let the cops know that you're on the way to the room/area just in case. The cellphone idea is great as well, it keeps them updated in real time while Dispatch sends a unit out.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                            X