Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Unsupportable > Tech help

Old 05-27-2019, 01:10 PM
Area Manager

This is parts. You said you had a friend who could assemble a computer for you. These are the parts I'd recommend for it.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:14 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

Don't forget to add $130ish (I think) for Windows 10/Pro

The hard drives you have should still be usable if they work on SATA interfaces (if not, just get an external USB enclosure for the 1TB unit -- Under ten bucks, easy). I strongly agree with the SSD boot drive. Even an older one (mine is six years old) goes from the POST screen clearing to logged-in to Windows in under ten seconds. If you go with the M.2 SSD suggested (which are FAST), get it in there comfortably BEFORE you plug in your video card. It's the little vertical chip-slot just left of where is says ASROCK on these pics. Once inserted (~35-40 angle, gently push it down so it's parallel with the mobo and it'll fasten via one of those tiny little screws on the board there. Snag a small philips-head from a computer (or eyeglasses) repair kit to be prepared.

A note on the RAM -- the board has only two DIMM slots, and they must be filled as a "pair" of RAM sticks/two identical sticks of "DDR4 SDRAM". If you want more than 8GB RAM, you will be replacing, not adding on to, the 8 GB suggested. The issue with your current system is that, whether for gaming or not, 32-bit Windows simply cannot "see" RAM amounts above about 3.4 GB in total. The rest of it might as well not be there at all.
"Customers are like van gogh. They intentionally remove their ears when it suits them." TheDangOofMan, Reddit
"Logic: sometimes it's not a thing." - Food Lady

Last edited by EricKei; 05-28-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:28 PM
Area Manager

Ah, so that's it. The list was in tiny letters, so I couldn't make it out easily.

I'll contact my acquaintance and ask him about it. Alas, electronic equipment isn't exactly cheap here - I hope he can find some good items at a reasonable price.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:52 AM
Area Manager

You can use linux to avoid the windows tax. The way things are nowadays, unless you have to use specific applications, linux will do what you need.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:35 AM
Area Manager

What are the components that go into a desktop computer? I know that there's the motherboard, HD or SSD, RAM, graphics card, and fan - what else, apart from the tower itself?

Old 05-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth Eireann View Post
What are the components that go into a desktop computer? I know that there's the motherboard, HD or SSD, RAM, graphics card, and fan - what else, apart from the tower itself?
CPU, case and power supply. For the quote I gave you, the CPU is an "APU", which includes graphics, so you don't need a graphics card.

If you're thinking of reusing the case and power supply from your HP, don't. HP cases aren't quite standard that way and can require significant modification, and the power supply won't be adequate and may lack the right connectors.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:31 PM
The Evil Bastard

Also, Motherboard, RAM, and HDD if you need one.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:08 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

The graphic shadow posted gives a solid outline of the basics.

I would add a standard HDD for storage -- but you have that external 4TB, so you should be covered there. A decent chunk of that SDD will ba taken up by Windows itsef (unless you go with Linux) -- at least 1/3 of it. Note that you can specify other hard drives as the default storage location for new downloads, pics, videos, music, & documents as long as they've been actually installed in the system; I wouldn't do this with an external, as it won't always be there. Go ahead and slap the 1TB in there as a secondary drive for that purpose.

Note that modern CPU setups often include on-die graphics, so yeah, no need for a separate video card if the most taxing thing you'll be doing is Facebook games You might wanna grab a tube of heat sink compound (the smallest possible, you only need a drop), or ask whoever helps you with the assembly for some. It's used to cement the CPU/APU onto the heat sink and fan, and it helps to more efficiently conduct heat away from the CPU.
"Customers are like van gogh. They intentionally remove their ears when it suits them." TheDangOofMan, Reddit
"Logic: sometimes it's not a thing." - Food Lady

Last edited by EricKei; 05-31-2019 at 04:35 AM.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:55 AM
Chairman of the Board

Speaking of slow gaming speeds, this was posted to Not Always Right today.

Sounds Like They’re Playing A Gaming With You

Old 05-30-2019, 04:55 PM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth EricKei View Post
The graphic shadow posted gives a solid outline of the basics.
I spec'd the system to be great as a starter with quite a bit of expansion capability, with as little expense up front as possible and quite a bit of expansion capability. That might include a 2nd drive or larger/faster primary drive, more/faster RAM, faster CPU and GPU. Not sure if it'd take 3rd gen Ryzen, but it might.