Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 10-19-2020, 04:37 AM
Philosophical Tomato

Oh, how I was tempted to do something like that when I was opening cashier and some dolt paid for a muffin with a C-note (one manager would let me refuse stunts like that, one wouldn't).

The other issue I just realized is that some SCs expect us to pick through the change in their bare hand--doubleyuck in the current situation.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:44 PM
JAFP

I clean out my change bag with my coffee, but I always limit the small coinage to one dollar's worth. I don't know how much these morons were trying to do, but sounds like a lot more than that.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:41 PM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

Quote:
Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
I have done $20 in toonies ($2 coins) ...
I love toonies. I think it's because they are two different coins in one! I remember getting a coin (either Euros or Francs, possibly Pounds?) that was three coins in one! I believe the center and outermost were silver metal, the one in between was yellow.

OK, now I have to do a search.... Hmm, looks like there were 20F coins that were three, but yellow on the outside and in the center, with silver between. Could have been those!

Old 10-19-2020, 11:36 PM
Chairman of the Board

The only thing I hate about being on one of the "cash" registers is when, as happened the other day, somebody pays for $10 worth of stuff with a $100 bill ...

Do you see the word "bank" anywhere in our name, buddy?

Old 10-21-2020, 12:06 AM
Content Slut

Man, no where around here wants you to pay in cash or coins at the moment for obvious plague reasons. They'll look at you like you just proposed bartering goats.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:48 AM
Pune Massacreeist

Quote:
Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
... They'll look at you like you just proposed bartering goats rats.
Better plague reference...

Old 10-21-2020, 08:03 AM
Store Manager

And oddly enough, coins are less of a vector than the folding money. Fun with chemistry and biology: The metal content tends to play rough with certain organic things, and they don't hold moisture like bills can. Still not exactly 'safe', but...

Old 10-22-2020, 07:36 PM
Cashier

When coins started being in short supply, I got in our change jar and sorted a lot of the coins into $5 bags. When going through the drive through, I always ask if they would like a bag of change should I use my card. Its about half and half.

I also handed bags of change out to any panhandlers I saw.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:43 AM
Deluxe Lackey

Quote:
Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
Man, no where around here wants you to pay in cash or coins at the moment for obvious plague reasons. They'll look at you like you just proposed bartering goats.
Wawa is a chain of ... convenience store/quick serve restaurants. (Nowhere to sit, but lost of hot food, and the CEO said a few years back their goal was to change from "a gas station that also serves food" to "a restaurant that also sells gas".)
Anyway, they started in Greater Philadelphia and now can be found in a big chunk of the US east coast.

They started radio ads a bit ago where they are running a sweepstakes for free sandwiches for a year or something, to enter you just have to sell them at least $5 in coins.

I have worked with many cashiers in years past who would only accept large amounts of change in the form of rolls.
I am just the opposite.

I mean, I want the paper rolls, but I am DEFINITELY not going to take most people's word that the roll contains what it should.

I have encountered what I presume to be accidents: rolls of pennies that actually averaged to 50 coins per, but individually fluctuated from 47 to 52.
Malice: multiple rolls of dimes that were each 3 coins short.
Extra malice: rolls made from notebook paper that contained 48 pennies with a dime on each end. (Only seen that once)
And bizarre accident: a roll of pennies that contained a micro SD card.
I have also found in my cash drawer a penny that had been meticulously ground down to exactly match the diameter and thickness of a dime.

I am not going to trust that the "roll of quarters" you just handed me contains exactly $10 until I have counted them all myself, though I might settle for counting one roll and deciding that the others all seem to be the same length.

I will let a small number of pennies slide, because despite my being able to count quickly and roll coins quickly, I make 12.5 cents per minute and cannot roll pennies fast enough to be cheaper than Coinstar's 8% fee.

Last edited by EricKei; 10-23-2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Old 10-23-2020, 12:39 PM
Ex-Puncher of Tickets

Quote:
Quoth SpyOne View Post
And bizarre accident: a roll of pennies that contained a micro SD card.
Username checks out... That was your recruitment package. "The pigeon flies West tonight!"