This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Wrong With "Wow?"

Just want to say hello to everyone before I start, I haven't been online for a while due to procrastination and crazy hours... i missed you guys!

~Last Monday~

It was 10 minutes before closing time for drive thru and I was ready to go but alas,

DING!

A car equipped with 3 20-something women pulls in.

Me: "Welcome to BK how may I help you?"

SC: "I have two separate orders."

*sigh*

Me: "Go ahead with the first one."

SC: "I want a #4 with a coke."

ME: "Anything else for that order?"

SC: "No."

ME: "Okay, your total is $X.XX, go ahead with your second order."

SC: "I just want a whopper junior."

Hmm, maybe they're using 2 types of payments?

ME: "Anything else?"

SC: "No, that's it."

ME: "Ah so you must be using a card and cash for these?"

SC: "(girly laugh) No..."

ME: "Okayyy....Well your total is $X.XX at your second window."

SC: "(another girly and annoying laugh) Nevermind, we are using two types of payment."

ME: "Wow..."

I'm sorry but that's the only thing I could say after that. It probably would have been better if I'd kept it to myself but whatever. I think it's stupid when someone comes asking for two separate orders and one of them only cost a dollar. Like you can't scrape off a dollar and some change for your friend. What the hell?

Then I gave them their food and the passenger leans forward and gives me what I'm asumming to be a failed attempt at a stern expression and says:

"Were you the one who took our order?"

No, it was Santa

ME: "Yes, is there a problem?"

SC:"I just wanted to say that I thought you were very rude in the way you took our order."

ME: "Um...okay..."

SC: "Yeah, your tone wasn't very nice and you said 'wow.'"

What the hell? The tone part is understandable at least..I did come off a little agitated due to the fact I was ready to go and she took forever to order and then she didn't even know how she was paying for her food. And then there was the aformentioned factor of not spending a dollar and some change on your friend...that was where the "wow" came in. Then again, the friend who had the cash might not have had enough to pay for her friend's food...that is possible. Just didn't think about it til after the fact.

ME: "Well, I said 'wow' because-"

SC: "You don't need to explain why, I'm just letting you know for next time."

Okay, who's being rude this time? I'm sitting here about to apologize and explain my actions and you want to cut me off? And what is this "next time?" I hope for your sake there isn't gonna be one because "next time" I won't be so nice about being cut off should it happen again.

I told them to have a nice night and that was that. Was I wrong for saying "wow" though?

I would have been a little speechless if you had said wow to me in that situation. Not to say they didn't deserve it, however. It's one of those things you think, but never say.

To answer your question: yes, you were rude by saying wow to them. Chalk it up as a brain-to-mouth filter malfunction, let it roll off your back, and don't let it happen again.
    Last edited by theredbaron47; 01-27-2008, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I probably would have been a bit taken aback by it too, but there are worse things you could have said.

No big deal really.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Had those ladies been me, being the geek I am, I would have replied "WORLD OF WARCRAFT!!!" and left you completely stunned.

But then that's me.

Sarcasm right at almost closing time; Good One, Ladies. Bet you feel REAL Original.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

when i works driveway i hated the dual orders like that. But if some said i was rude for saying wow? (though i would have asked about payment methods) i would have merged their orders (i could do that) and quated that price and if they complained i would say i did two order as a curtasy it is not a requiremnt.

Comment

When my friend and I go to the drive through we always get separate orders no matter how much either of us is spending.
            What I was most wondering is why this fact would evoke the "*sigh*" response.
            And to be honest the "wow" would have put me off as well. I'm not the type who would say anything to the employee or in front of them, but surely while pulling away from the window the conversation inside the car would be about how unnecessary that comment was.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
              When my friend and I go to the drive through we always get separate orders no matter how much either of us is spending.
              What I was most wondering is why this fact would evoke the "*sigh*" response.
              And to be honest the "wow" would have put me off as well.
              Seriously, why is it a problem if someone has separate orders? And saying "wow" to me, would have put me off also.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

whatever. that's when you tell them "wow....."

and separate orders... it can make things a bit longer if there's a line. last friday i went out to the vending area for snacks and 3 of my coworkers were like "ooo you're going there? can you get me this?" i was just glad i could split the 4 different orders into just 2 (and i let the guy behind me go first cos of my weird orders).

but i have better things to do then to just bitch someone out for saying 'wow'. makes me think that they've got some kinda mental hangup where they have to degrade anyone who doesn't kiss their behinds, or who make them realize they're not as perfect as what they think.

wow...

Comment

Me and my friends NEVER do separate orders at a drive-thru. Even if we end up in a situation wher eone person has cash and the other doesn't.

Either one person hands the other the paper-money, and then we just put everything on a card. Or we just pay for the other person outright, and they get us back later. (I.E. I'll buy you a hamburger now, and you pay for a pizza/case of beer later).

We just don't worry about it, because it all evens out in the end lol.
                  <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

I honestly have never done a multiple order in a drive thru.

But I would have been a little miffed at the "Wow".....however, considering the girls in question, I have to feel sympathy for you. A lot of young ladies are very annoying and are still stuck on the mid 90s "Valley Girl" attitude and persona, and therefore, live their life 24/7 with that gosh awful annoying high pitch giggling and "like" and "whatever" and "as if!".........so on the other hand, I can understand why you said that.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It sounds like you encountered a car full of well-to-do, stuck-up, New Jersey college girls.

You have my sympathies in having to deal with that sort of vermin.

And no, you were not wrong to say, "wow" to them.

You're a human being, not a machine, as most customers seem to believe.
                      Herewith, a nugget of wisdom from the very wise Mike Brady: "Alone, we can only move buckets. But if we work together, we can drain rivers."

--
                      mannabozo.wordpress.com

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes your mouth just speaks for your thoughts, whether or not you want it to.

I had one on the phone yesterday who said 'let me speak slooooowly for you, so that you can understaaaaand me'. I laughed. Yes, I actually laughed. It was a intinctual reaction and I just could not help it.

I suppose my subconcience was thinking, "I can do one of 3 things here":

1. Call her a b--ch and get fired.

2. Start speaking slowly back, with sarcasm, and get fired.

3. Laugh, and turn it into a cough, and not get fired.

Now, the correct response would have been dead silence and polite noises while she spoke to me like a backward child, but I just couldn't help myself.

Sometimes I think they need to pass out xanax in order to work with people effectively.
                        Last edited by Peppergirl; 01-27-2008, 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
                        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

There are far worse things in the world than saying that to some jumped up SC's!

Seriously, those SC's were idiots.
                          No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

I agree that the women in question were valley girl idiots. Your response wasn't the best, but seeing that the customers in question most likely had big pockets of air in between their ears, don't even worry about it.

Edit: I don't see what the big deal about splitting up orders is either. Granted, I avoid the drive-throughs like I avoid Paris Hilton gossip, so I can't speak for drive-through order splitting, but I've always been under the impression that splitting the order makes it easier for all parties involved (i.e. not having to sort through money and cards and all).

Comment

A car equipped with 3 20-something women pulls in.
                              Where can I get one equipped with an attractive single guy in his early-mid thirties who is looking for a relationship? Is that standard equipment or does it cost extra?
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X