X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tails from the vet office

Got several stories here.

First one happened Friday morning right after I got into work. Received a phone from a guy who had two dogs scheduled for an appointment that day and wanted to bring a third in.

Me: <vet office name>, this is Melissa. How can I help you?
    SC: Yea, I have an appointment to bring in two of my dogs today. I was wondering if I can bring a third in.
    Me: What time was your appointment for?
    SC: 9:30
    Me: Hold on a moment, let me take a look at the schedule.

So I put him on hold and take a look at our schedule. We're completely booked up and we have no room at that time for a third pet to be brought in.

Me: We're actually booked up completely and have no room for an extra pet. Was this for shots or...
    SC: No, She has a cut on her foot and I'm worried about her.
    Me: How long has she had the cut on her foot for?
    SC: Two or three days.
    Me: ..........just a moment.....let me see what we can do.

So I turn to my manager and tell her the situation. She points out that we had a cancellation with another doctor at 8:00. I pick the phone back up and give him two options.

Me: Well...as I said, we are completely booked up and can't fit a third pet into that particular time frame. But there are two things we can do.
    SC: Okay...
    Me: You can bring the dog with the cut foot in at 8:00 where I just had a cancellation. And bring your other two dogs for their regular appointment later.
    SC: Won't work.
    Me: Alright, if you want to substitute one of your dogs with the one with the cut foot, then we can do that.
    SC: So you're saying that the doctor can't take two minutes to look at her?
    Me: If the cut is bad enough, we may have to bandage up the foot and that can take a while to do. We have no room for three pets.
    SC: I'll call you back.

He calls back a few minutes later and this time our other receptionist S answers. By the end of the conversation I can tell she is agitated and SC ends up hanging up on her. Conversation between the two follows as such:

S: *gives the customer the same option as I gave*
    SC: And I can't do either of those. My dogs have to have their vaccinations they are boarding in two weeks! And I want the cut foot looked at.
    S: As the other girl told you, we have no room for a third pet. And we can get the cut foot in at 8:00.
    SC: You people are always so inflexible and I'm getting tired of it.
    S: If you want to get all three in, perhaps our sister clinic has some room for all three pets.
    SC: *click*

Not long afterwards, our sister clinic calls and says dipshit is on the phone with them bitching. Saying that we refuse to be accomadating and helpful. The receptionists over there talk to their doctors and their doctors tell us to just take the extra dog at 9:30.

Manager: FINE. Tell him to bring the extra dog him.

So the sister clinic tells him to bring the extra dog in and we'll just reschedule some things that were planned (like SURGERIES).

Well, I get a phone call not long afterwards.

SC: I want to cancell an appointment I have today.
    Me: Alright.
    SC: It's at 9:30. I'm tired of calling you people and you are always so inflexible and rude. And I'm never bringing in my pets again! *clicK*

Good fucking riddance. Another vet clinic called us not long after this phone call asking for us to fax his records which we do. And not long after THAT we receive a phone call from them again, I believe it was the kennel attached to this particular vet.

Kennel: Hi, we just had some information faxed over to us regarding SC.
    Me: Mhm.
    Kennel: Well, it says here that <one of 6 pets> didn't have the canine distemper.
    Me: *pulls up the account* Nope.
    Kennel: He's insisting that they had it done.
    Me: Let me pull the hard file.

So I pull the hard file and sure enough...NO DISTEMPER. Which is one of the shots required to board your dog. So I dance my way over to the phone.

Me: Nope. Never had it.
    Kennel: Hrm...he was insisting that he did.
    Me: Nope. It was just the rabies he's received. No distemper.
    Kennel: Thank you

The funny part to all this was...that both those dogs that needed the vaccinations he was going to bring in...weren't due until October and he knew it.

Soon after SC1, SC2 comes in. Infact, I posted a story about her a good while back. She was the phone who made me "cough" loudly because I suck at hiding laughter. She wants some powder to put in her dogs food. I can't remember what this powder was. But everytime she comes in, she's a nasty bitch and will ask for one of our receptionists who is the only one who tolerates her.

Me: *looking through the account* I don't see this medicine in the account.
    SC: It's NOT medicine. And are you sure?
    Me: Yes.
    SC: Look under <another account>
    Me: *Looks* Medicine isn't under here either.
    SC: I said it's NOT MEDICINE. And does it come in pill form.

It's medicine dipshit. We eventually find out what it is and she asks how it comes. Manager (P) tells her it comes in a pack

SC: I got a box of it last time.
    P: It comes in a pack. Let me go grab some. *hustles off*
    SC: How much would 42 packs be?
    Me: $xxx.x
    SC: .....what about 21? Would be fifty something right.
    Me: $xx.xx
    SC: I'll take 21 then.
    Me: *goes off to grab her the packs*
    SC: Do they come in pills?
    Me: *goes back to ask P*
    P: Tell her we don't sell pill version here. They sell them at petsmart and petco. Maybe she can start buying them there and we won't have to put up with her.

I inform the client of this. And after debating with herself for a century and a half, she just buys the packs and leaves. This woman is a witch. She is always quite nasty with she comes in. I despise her, I really do.

This happened yesterday. Was a rather calm Saturday and the phone rings. It's a girl who is calling.

Me: <vet clinic> This is Melissa, Can I help you?
    SC: Hold on a minute. *to someone else* Which doctor is it? Oh okay. *back to me* I need to speak to my dog's doctor.
    Me: Which doctor is it?
    SC: Um...
    Me: *looks up the doctor* Looks like it's Dr. F. Let me go see if he's available.

I go back and check but he's in a room with a client with four pets who were 20 minutes late (but were forgiven because they are very nice people who are never late). I come back and inform her.

SC: Alright, my dog is on medication and he has a nosebleed right now.
    Me: Do you just need a refill of the medication.
    SC: *snappy back but whinning* NO! He's on FOUR different medications and NONE OF THEM are working.
    Me: Alright. I'll leave the note for the doctor to call you back.
    SC: And there's blood all over the floor and I need to talk to him.
    Me: Alright, as I said. He is unavailable but will call you back as soon as possible.

She leaves me a note and number and I put it on his clipboard. About...20 minutes later. I get another phone call. This time, it's the girl's father and he isn't very nice. Infact, by the end of all this, I was angry to the poing where I was shaking and wishing him the most horrible and painful death.

SC: Yea, my daughter just called about her dog having a nosebleed. And I need to talk to the doctor NOW.
    Me: The doctor is still in the room with the client. I had left a note for him to call you back when he was done with this client.

Usually one pet = 20 minutes. And there were four pets. You all do the math. Although he was trying to get this done in half an hour due to other appointments.

SC: You will walk back there and grab him.
    Me: He is with a client and can't speak.
    SC: Go and get him.

I go back and inform the doctor. Doctor tells him fuckhead will have to wait until he is done.

Me: He says he is going to have to call you back after he is done.
    SC: Let me tell you something, there is puddles of blood all over the kitchen floor.
    Me: *thinking* And how is the doctor going to magically take care of all this over the phone.
    SC: He has been treating this for six months and I'm getting tired of it. Tell him he has SIXTY seconds to call me back.
    Me: I cannot guarantee he will call back in 60 seconds, he's with ANOTHER CLIENT.
    SC: You walk over there and tell him he has 60 seconds to call back or there will be problems.

I think I have the right to take that as a threat. And I did. Anyways, there was about five seconds of silence and I assumed he was done and gone. So I hung up.

Whoops, he was still on the line and I had hung up on him apparently. He calls back 60 seconds later and C answers the phone. He asks for me.

C: She is currently busy right now and can't make it to the phone.
    SC: She hung up on me and I don't appreciate that.
    C: No she didnt' sir.
    SC: ...
    C: What can I help you with?
    SC: *Gives her the same shit he gave me*
    C: Dr F is an excellent doctor so he's usually very busy.
    SC: I am beginning to doubt that since he's been doing this case for six months (Yea because we all know medications help ALLLL the time)
    C: *irritated* I rest assure you he will call you back. He is with other emergencies right.
    SC: I TAKE PRIORITY OVER THESE EMERGENCIES. I AM MORE IMPORTANT TH EN THEM.
    C: ...He will call you back before 1:00. (It was 12:15).

They hangup. We tell the doctor what happened. Doctor is pissed and calls the guy to demand why he was treating his reception staff this way. Guy doesn't pick up phone. Doctor calls again later and leaves a message saying that if he doesn't hear back from the guy in half an hour then he is going to have to call back on Monday. He wa also going to inform the guy that he can take his pets elsewhere from now one. Guy never calls. And for a while I was afraid he was actually on his way down to the office. Never came. And I hope to never hear from him again.
    Last edited by Sunsetsky; 09-17-2007, 02:45 AM.

If your pet is such an emergency that he takes precedence over all other emergencies (that are in the office with the doctor right now) maybe you would be better off BRINGING HIM TO THE EMERGENCY VET!!! Like you said, what the hell is the doctor supposed to do over the phone about your bloody kitchen floor (which he seems more concerned about than the dog)?

Just a thought...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You poor veterinary receptionists get all the crap! I empathise with you! My sister is one too and she came home with some stories too. Honestly, if the dog has had a cut on its foot you don't wait two or three days before you suddenly become "concerned"! You sort it then and there! Also, if it were my dog having a nosebleed, I'd get off my arse and get myself to an emergency clinic and not just hassle people over the phone! I offer you hugs and cookies for all your hard work.
      ~a lass unparallel'd~

Comment

I know! There's an emergency veterinary hospital that's just down the road from us. Proabably ten minutes away. Whenever we get one of those "Pet has been puking his guts out for two weeks" people, my manager would usually ask them "And when did you take them to the emergency clinic?" Their responses are usually "Errr..ah...we...didn't..." or the very very rare "YESTERDAY!"

Comment

If my pet cut its foot and it bled for more than a few minutes and/or was still bothering him or getting red, you can be sure I'm not gonna wait days to get it checked out! People like that make me wanna . If it was your kid, would you wait?

Comment

Heck, my black fluffy daugther had a bad case of coughing and I rushed her to the vet.

It cost me a bundle (making the vet open off schedule--ain't he a doll?-- PLUS the medicine) but at least Phantom's good and healthy now.

Doc thought she was overweight at 22 lbs, till he touched her legs. My ten years old is all muscle and fluff!
            Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Don't you mean "tales?" or is that just a pun?

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
                ...all muscle and fluff!
                HAHA! I have a fluffy pet too. All that fluff is deceptive! When my friends come over they say "GOD how big is your CAT?!" and I get all defensive..."He's not fat he's just fluffy!"
                ~a lass unparallel'd~

Comment

Quoth Liselotte View Post
                  HAHA! I have a fluffy pet too. All that fluff is deceptive! When my friends come over they say "GOD how big is your CAT?!" and I get all defensive..."He's not fat he's just fluffy!"
                  I have two cats like that. Give them a bath and they are, literally, half their normal size!
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Liselotte View Post
                    5 bucks says he's really a scrawny lil thing under all that fluff.

I had two brother cats once, Dayamondo and Momochan. Momochan looked HUGE while Dayamondo looked malnourished and emaciated.

Turns out Daya and Momo were the same size, only Momo had long hair.

(for animal lovers out there, Dayamondo was in good health--he just had the scrawny human 16 years old teenage boy look going on)

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      I have two cats like that. Give them a bath and they are, literally, half their normal size!
                      My neighbors across the street have a Pomeranian. They shaved him one year for the summer and he was at least 1/2 as big...apparently he got depressed or something cuz they haven't done it since.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        apparently he got depressed or something cuz they haven't done it since.
                        Bet he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror.

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
                          Bet he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror.
                          lol maybe he did. he did look pretty funny

Comment

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
                            Don't you mean "tales?" or is that just a pun?
                            That is a good one. I'm not sure what to think about this though:

He has been treating this for sex months and I'm getting tired of it.
                            Freudian slip?

This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Oh, Sunsetsky, do I feel for you. People are CRAZY about their pets, and it tends to manifest in strange ways. I miss working with animals, for sure, but I don't miss most of the owners. This isn't to knock anyone on here, as most of the stories I've read seem to suggest we're a pretty awesome and responsible bunch around here, but some people were just terrible, irresponsible, and completely inconsiderate.

All that being said, this is why I always advise my mom to make sure Sunny is properly restrained when going to the vet, and why Sunny went to the ER vet when she hurt her noggin, so as not to wait for an appt/bother my former employer without an appt. I always try to do the same for my kitties as well--they get the full brush/comb/wipe-down/nail clip treatment before they go in for vaccines or boarding, so they make mommy proud.
                              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                              X