This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sylvia727 View Post
    Um...how is someone in a wheelchair supposed to pull this heavy door open and wheel themselves through without it slamming shut? Sounds like an ADA violation to me.
    Probably part of the problem is resistance from the motor that opens the door when you push the access button. However, that means a handicapped person wouldn't actually have any problems, since it's an automatic door. Speculation, of course.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I worked at a hospital where I was facing the exit door for the parking garage. I saw lots of amusing things. My favorite was this couple on a motorcycle.

The gate was pressure sensitive and clearly stated that motorcycles were not to use the gate but they always tried and the gate was a hungry gate indeed.

This couple made it half way when the gate arm came down between driver and passenger and neatly swept passenger onto her butt while driver turned around and wondered where his cargo was. Lets just say they beat a hasty retreat at that point.

Very funny stuff.

Comment

Quoth Thud-n-Blunder View Post
        According to a quote from a book I read as a kid, "Nothing is impossible except for skiing through a revolving door." I get the impression that the people who tried either died or looked silly (or in some cases, both.)
        Depends on the skis. My Uncle once did just that, though it should be noted he didn't do it very fast. They make some very short skis these days...

Comment

I'll second Broomjockey on the theory that the handicapped door was automatic. The ones where you push the button and then they open tend to be heavier.

Quoth Jester View Post
          "When truck meets bike, truck wins....every...single....time."

Sadly, so few of my fellow cyclists understand this rudimentary fact of physics.
          I've encountered a lot of pedestrians who seemed to have skipped that grade-school lecture, too.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            "When truck meets bike, truck wins....every...single....time."
            I'm also fond of:

Having the right of way will not overturn the laws of Physics. However, it might make it easier your survivors to get a court settlement.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Several years ago, I remember watching a guy dealing with some of those mat activated doors. (the type where you step on the mat and it opens.)

Well he walks up as the door is closing, only to have it not open for him. The guy stood there a few seconds on the mat, and then simply did this bunny hop. The door recognized he was there and opened. Now it was the shortest little thing I've seen but you know what? I still get tickled about it.
              Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth Sylvia727 View Post
                Um...how is someone in a wheelchair supposed to pull this heavy door open and wheel themselves through without it slamming shut? Sounds like an ADA violation to me.
                There's a button that opens it automatically. It's a little ways back. Completely visable. But, the guy in a hurry sure wasn't going to walk back a few steps to hit the button.
                "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
                "Red."
                "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
                "RED!"
                "..."

Comment

That makes much more sense. And if one isn't willing to wait for someone else to walk through a door, why would one wait for the door to open itself?
                  "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth iviles View Post
                    I love that door!!!! You all need a security camera at it 24/7!!!!!!!!!!
                    A lot of people do.

Door #1

Door #2

Door #3

Lots of Doors.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I love the thief on court TV. that's fucking hilarious.

Number 3...that's just kinda mean! (but the sadistic part of me thinks it's funny)
                      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Hee. This stuff amuses me, for the most part.

Exhibit A. That's not the door.

Exhibit B. That is still not the door.

Exhibit C. The painful realization that that was the door.

Exhibit D. There is no door.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          Hee. This stuff amuses me, for the most part.

Exhibit A. That's not the door.

Exhibit B. That is still not the door.

Exhibit C. The painful realization that that was the door.

^-.-^
                          I'm still trying to figure out how the people in Exhibit B thought there was a door there. There's no door frame.

Exhibit D made me laugh. That's awesome. I'll have to remember that for a prank if I ever have the means to do so.
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            Okay, I LOVE that one because it always drives me nuts when people open doors by pushing on the glass instead of the handles or the bars that are there for that express purpose. I hope a few of these people learned their lessons on that
                            "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

After reading this story, and then watching all the people walk into doors, I really, REALLY want to watch someone BIKE into a door. It'd be so stress-relieving! Let's go with that.
                              "You're not gone five minutes, Agent Scully, and I'm already starting to feel like a stranger in my own office-"
                              -Agent Doggett

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                                Okay, I LOVE that one because it always drives me nuts when people open doors by pushing on the glass instead of the handles or the bars that are there for that express purpose. I hope a few of these people learned their lessons on that
                                I'm with you on that Mysty. We have a glass door at work and everytime, just after I've cleaned it, someone sticks their damn hand on the glass rather than the handle.
                                I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Working...
                                X