This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*looks to see if Cici's has made it to Cheeselandialand yet..."

Mother-er! Looks like they opened in West Allis, right near where I was this afternoon!

Actually, I shouldn't weep too much. I did Five Guys for lunch; that's a damn good consolation prize if I do say so myself.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

We have a couple of great buffet restaurants near us, one hometown buffet and one that's an asian buffet, lots of japanese type foody things

I haven't noticed people sneaking in so far....and I follow the rules ...ie: getting a new plate/cup/bowl for each trip. And yeah we may share a little but we ALL pay for our plates so it's good.

I love buffet style.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
        I haven't noticed people sneaking in so far....and I follow the rules ...ie: getting a new plate/cup/bowl for each trip. And yeah we may share a little but we ALL pay for our plates so it's good.

I love buffet style.
        Actually, in my home state, the law REQUIRES you to get a new plate every time you go to the buffet. (Helps control unauthorized eating, as well as health code issues.)
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

I have a Hometown Buffet nearby, but it's pretty... shabby. And the one time I ate there, our server was crying... and I think one of the other servers was totally being an ass to her and trying to get her in trouble, too.

But, right next door is a Souplantation that's outstanding. And we have a Hokkaido Seafood Buffet not to far away that has some great stuff, with a Mongolian buffet in the back, and a nice little selection of sushi.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
            What you're talking about is not sucky. Everyone orders and pays for a meal in your examples.

But for one person to order, and then a second to eat off the first person's plate without paying for anything, that is sucky. Restaurants are a small profit margin business; they can't afford to feed two people for the price of one.

Sometimes if I'm not hungry, I'll order a drink. But I don't eat off the other person's plate.

*phew* Ok good. Yeah, I definitely get where it's bad to just not order anything and mooch off of everyone else's plates. Because it clearly indicates that the moocher is at least a *little* hungry and should've just ordered an appetizer for themselves. That's what I do at restaurants if I'm not hungry enough for a full meal. Just get a drink and a snack. And then if someone else at the table has something that looks good, I'll ask if I can try a bite.

That or I just order a full meal and ask for a to-go box right away so I can put half the order in there to save for later and eat the rest at the restaurant.
            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Even just 'mooching' -- you're just stealing from your friends. The amount of money was paid to the restaurant for the amount of food on the table.

At a buffet, you pay per person, not per chicken breast or per bowl of spaghetti. It's not fair to the restaurant to feed three people off one 'all you can eat' payment.

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                Actually, in my home state, the law REQUIRES you to get a new plate every time you go to the buffet. (Helps control unauthorized eating, as well as health code issues.)
                I"m sure it is and it makes logical sense to me.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                  Not as good as In N' Out or Carl's Jr. though.
                  oh, just learned about In n' Out a few years ago from my son-in-law, had never been to one before. Now we go whenever we visit them in CA.

We got a new one here in Oregon recently, called Five Guys, evidently they're scattered about the US. Great burgers, no frills, similar to In n' Out in some ways (fries arent quite as good as in n out, but burgers are actually better). And free peanuts while you wait (cause there's usually a long line and you have to wait a little for your order). And tons of stuff to choose from to put on your burger (all free) like mushroom, green peppers, etc.

Quoth Panacea View Post
                  What you're talking about is not sucky. Everyone orders and pays for a meal in your examples.

But for one person to order, and then a second to eat off the first person's plate without paying for anything, that is sucky. Restaurants are a small profit margin business; they can't afford to feed two people for the price of one.
                  I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing a plate. NOT a buffet, or an endless food item (those, each person needs to pay, period, or it's stealing).

But ordering one meal and sharing it between two people, what's wrong with that? You pay for one meal, one meal is eaten, why does it matter how many are at the table? One person eating one meal, or two people eating it, it still takes up a table.

Some places have meals so large, DH and I often share one - we order it, tell the server we're sharing, and have never had anyone seem to have a problem with it. We usually do tip a little extra, since they always bring a plate and cutlery so we can split it, it's a little extra work for the server with a smaller total bill, so they deserve a little extra.

I think it would be wrong, both from a financial and a moral view, for both of us to order a meal, then each of us leave half of it on our plate to go into the trash, rather than sharing one meal.

If that's sucky, then guess we are, but as I said, have never had a server be anything but very nice and understanding about it, and very helpful.
                  Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 10-01-2010, 12:34 PM.

Madness takes it's toll....
                  Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather
                    oh, just learned about In n' Out a few years ago from my son-in-law, had never been to one before. Now we go whenever we visit them in CA.

We got a new one here in Oregon recently, called Five Guys, evidently they're scattered about the US. Great burgers, no frills, similar to In n' Out in some ways (fries arent quite as good as in n out, but burgers are actually better). And free peanuts while you wait (cause there's usually a long line and you have to wait a little for your order). And tons of stuff to choose from to put on your burger (all free) like mushroom, green peppers, etc.
                    I haven't been there in a couple months because pretty much all roads leading up to it are under destruction but there is a place in Ann Arbor called Great Plains Burger...fresh meat, freshly cut fries and shakes to die for. I love places that stick to a couple things and do them well.

Comment

Irv, where is West Allis? I have never been to a CiCis before. This podunk Farmville will probably never see one

We didn't get a Sonic until 2009 for Pete's Sake.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                        Irv, where is West Allis?
                        Suburb of Milwaukee. AKA where you would have been if you had come to state fair with McGoddess and I.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Merriweather

I have been to Five Guys and they are ....different. I like 'em ok I guess.

So where in Oregon are you??

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            Suburb of Milwaukee. AKA where you would have been if you had come to state fair with McGoddess and I.
                            Wait. You went to the fair without me and Lizziebeff?
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

CiCi's is...OK, not horrible, not wonderful. I put the quality somewhere around pre-"new" Domino's, or a little lower. For 5 bucks a head, I ain't complaining!

Also, what appears to be a little-known secret...they'll custom-make any pie you like, just walk up and ask ^_^
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

5 Guys' hamburgers are overrated at best.

I'd sell my soul for their fries, though. *drool*
                                I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                                X