Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, this confuses me. Where I work if you're being sent on something work-related and it's going to leave you in a financial bind, they'll advance enough to cover most of it, and you're expected to submit an expense claim when you back to cover any difference (or give back the balance if you paid less). Either way you're expected to provide receipts (if only so they can claim VAT).

Of course, if you drive, you're SOL as you have to submit a mileage claim.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
      Of course, if you drive, you're SOL as you have to submit a mileage claim.
      Be careful about this - driving to an off-site meeting or training session could be seen as "driving on the job" as opposed to normal commuting, so if you get in a wreck there could be insurance issues. My brother's employer has a policy that anyone driving under such circumstances has to get a rental (reimbursed) rather than using their own car, for just this reason.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Geeze. I don't travel as part of my job either, but nevertheless, my company had base travel policies that applied to all employees (with variations for those who actually did have travel for their job):

Flight, lodging, and rental would be chosen by the employee, via a travel agency the company worked with.
        The flight would be paid for automatically with the company's account--this is why you booked via the travel agency.
        Lodging, rental, and meal costs would be reimbursed by filing an expense report with receipts.

This all came in handy when they had me fly to Cali for training and to meet the rest of the team. I think the main reason lodging and rental had to be expensed was those transactions require a card at point of service and they certainly weren't going to give company cards to everyone.
        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
          Thus, her boss was forced to go to my fiance and say "I really hate to have to ask you this, but can you cover this and we will cut you a check after?"
          Is she in the Armed Forces by chance? (I know shes not, but it is a similar thing with them)

I was a Chaplains Assistant. Every year we had to go to CAST (Chaplains Annual Sustainment Training) in addition to regular training. So I had a Government Travel card.

Here is how it worked, in theory. You charge all your expenses to the card (hotel, air travel, food, mileage, ect), then you submit a travel claim and the GSA would pay the amount.

How it worked, in reality. You charge all your expenses to the card (hotel, air travel, food, ect), then you submit a travel claim. Then you argue with the GSA about various things that were approved in advance, your written orders, things listed in the regulations. The time tics down on the due date. Oh, did I forget to mention that the E-3 (PFC) is fully FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS BILL? And that it can not be payed in installments, like normal and sane credit cards, but it had to be paid all at once. So if the GSA decides to drag its heels, because of a $2 disagreement (on something authorized, like, laundry expenses), they will not pay a dime and YOUR suppose to pay multi-thousand dollars (that, in fairness, will be reimbursed later, after many call and more threats from commanders).

Question. How many of us, today, can afford a $3000 bill? What happens if you do not pay after 90 days? Then you get a formal counseling statement, 3 of which can get you a dishonorable discharge. Note a joke, I got one because of the GSA.

(gee, I wonder if I might still be bitter at them? I will refrain from the rest of my rant cause it goes into fracking territory.)

Ya, I loved the CAST trips; great people, great times, great training. But getting the government to pay for what they authorized was like pulling your own teeth.
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

fracking
            I (think) I see what you did there.
            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
              Total travel time? 15+ hours! That's almost as long as it would've taken to just drive there!

My wife does two meetings a year at what should be a 3 1/2 hour flight away. Whoever is responsible for travel in her company is the KING of CFs, and she has had one single instance where everything went as planned.
              Your above statement really made me chuckle though, b/c her group (regions group up and travel together) is so used to the foul-ups that they now abandon the itinerary at the first sign of trouble. Last time it happened three of them rented a car at the destination city and beat the other person in their group back home by seven hours.

Hope your SO is home safe and sound by now, D. Good luck w/ the paperwork.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Be careful about this - driving to an off-site meeting or training session could be seen as "driving on the job" as opposed to normal commuting, so if you get in a wreck there could be insurance issues.
                When we join (or pass their test and get their first car, in the case of juniors) we have to give them a photocopy of our insurance certificate and driving licence. If the insurance doesn't include a line going something along the lines of "and travel in the course of business" then you can't claim mileage.

One junior was happy about this; he had to upgrade to fully comp to claim mileage, and if he hadn't he'd have been stuck with a rather nasty bill when his car got vandalised. Thanks to the upgrade he only had to cover his excess.
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                  I (think) I see what you did there.
                  Nope, that was just a Freudian slip.
                  I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Well, the rest of the trip went MUCH more smoothly than the first half did.

Would anyone be surprised that 1) the training was almost entirely a waste of time and 2) getting reimbursed is already showing signs of being another round of major nincompoopery?
                    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                      Well, the rest of the trip went MUCH more smoothly than the first half did.

Would anyone be surprised that 1) the training was almost entirely a waste of time and 2) getting reimbursed is already showing signs of being another round of major nincompoopery?
                      Being where we are now...sadly no.

Comment

Well, she just told me the expense report is completed, signed, and turned in along with all receipts. *Supposedly* the check will be cut within 48 hours.

We. Shall. See.
                        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                          *Supposedly* the check will be cut within 48 hours.
                          Haw. Haw haw haw. Go 'head, pull the other one.

Comment

And then wait a week to be signed.....?

That was the favourite when I was debt collecting. "Well I *wrote* the cheque when I told you I would but the boss hasn't signed it yet......"
                            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Check has been deposited. And they didn't deny any charges. Frankly, considering how much they bollocksed this up, this is nothing short of a miracle.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

If I were you, I wouldn't 100% relax until the check has completely cleared.
                                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                                X