This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubling up

this is probably the best forum for this, but I never actually saw this person, which is probably good for his life expectancy, or at least his health.

My sister bought a house near me and we've since spent so much time and money fixing up the place. She didn't buy it as a fixer upper. But every time we turn around we are discovering new and inventive way of how not to build/upgrade a house.

Having been an electrician in the Navy, I've been slowly working on the electrical system as we've remodeled room. Now we are working in the attic replacing the old wiring before new insulation is installed. I get the master bedroom finished and she asks for me to remove the hall light so that a new ceiling can be put in. No problem.

We turn the hall light on and start flipping breakers to find the right one (the labeling is atrocious). We find the right one and I start to work. First I remove the hard wired smoke detector. No problem. Then I remove the cover and bulb to the light. I twist the fixture and undo the wire nuts disconnecting the fixture from the box. This is where the fun begins.

Looking inside I see a lot of wires twisted together. Seems that whoever wired this light also used the light box as a junction box to feed other loads. Not how I would have done it but not exactly bad either. So in I go to start untwisting wires and quickly pull my hands back out. It was still live in there! But I had watch the light go out and the smoke alarm which had been live was dead to the touch. I check with my multimeter and sure enough 120. So I send my helper out to start flipping other breakers. We find it, one breaker below the first one. Important later.

So I untwist the wires and get them out of the box. Then I start looking for the two source wires. I can only find one. Odd. Taking a close look at the one I found I noticed that it's a four wire cable (ground, white, black, and red). Bad suspicions form in my head. So I attach my meter to the black and white and ask my helper to turn on the last breaker. I only get a slight reading jump up on my meter. So I take the lead off the black and touch it to the red. A full 120. Next I had him turn off the second breaker and turn the first back on while going back to the black. It now read 120.

Yes that's right. The idiot who wired up the house took a single four wire cable and hooked it to two breakers! At that point my brain broke and I safely hooked the source lines back to two separate line, sans junction boxes. I'll have to go back and correct it at the point where it enters the attic. I don't do service entrances.

I can go one better. When I moved into my condo, I had to replace most of the switches and outlets because the previous owner's heirs had painted over them during a pre-sale "fix-up".

One of these was the outlet where the fridge had been plugged in (I moved it to the other side of the kitchen, which had a "single outlet on this circuit" outlet, probably for an iron, while it had been plugged into an outlet which was on the same circuit as all the lights and half the outlets - cabinets had quite clearly been put in to accommodate a fridge here). I took out the fuse that powered this outlet, then went to work replacing it. When I disconnected one of the white wires, there was a spark. That's right - the neutral wire for ANOTHER CIRCUIT found its way back to the fuse panel by going in through one screw on the neutral side of this outlet, and out through the other screw on the neutral side. Needless to say, I used a wire nut to fasten these 2 neutral wires together, with a "pigtail" leading to the outlet itself, so in future the outlet could be changed (if necessary) without breaking the neutral return for another circuit.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of anyone doing with electricals, ever!

Comment

Google "home inspection nightmares". This old house has house inspectors submit photos of stupid and crazy things they have seen. There are usually around 14-20 in an entry and they are up to around 33 entries. They'll either break your brain or make you laugh.

Comment

For some reason, people that would never dare take a stab at plumbing, nor carpentry, nor roofing, nor even upholstering, are steady in their belief that ANYONE can be an electrician.

And it's not just their houses they bork, it's their cars too!
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Oh yes, that reminds me of the flat we lived in when I was a kid. There were 2 rooms connected with a sliding door. At first we had ceiling lamps in both rooms, we deceided to remove one lamp: Flick breakers off, remove lamp, flick breakers on... wait... all outlets dead in both rooms!?! So we took a wire nut and shorted the wires.
            We wanted to install a lamp in a darker corner of the hall, oh great there is a junction box, we opened it, only to find a jumble of cabling with some weird cable colours too. We didn't dare to touch it and called in a seasoned master electrician. He looked at it, pulled a bit here, pulled a bit there, scratched his chin... "Yanno... I'd rather not touch this, I'm not sure if I can get that back to work and then I'd have to rewire the flat..."
            The joys of homegrown electric installions, the flat was from 1911, the electric wasn't much younger.
            No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth CaptainThrifty View Post
              Yes that's right. The idiot who wired up the house took a single four wire cable and hooked it to two breakers!
              This isn't uncommon practice, two hots on either side of a 240V single-phase service with a shared neutral. You'll notice the breakers were side by side, this means they were on opposite phases of the service.

Although you were an electrician in the navy, household wiring has some differences and I strongly recommend you read up on it before doing more work.

Comment

When I was a kid, my mom decided to get a ceiling fan for the basement. We got some help, but when we got the ceiling panels removed, we discovered that the previous owner of that house had done some of his own electrical work -- using masking tape.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                  This isn't uncommon practice, two hots on either side of a 240V single-phase service with a shared neutral. You'll notice the breakers were side by side, this means they were on opposite phases of the service.

Although you were an electrician in the navy, household wiring has some differences and I strongly recommend you read up on it before doing more work.
                  Assuming we're talking America, that violates code. Each 120V circuit is required to be delivered on its own separate line. Heck, i'm trying to figure out the logic behind that as four wire ROMEX isn't exactly common to say the least, in fact in the 25 years since i went to school, i've forgotten exactly when you'd even use it. Not for normal 120 or 240 circuit, nor a three way light circuit. Maybe a four way or higher.
                  Seph
                  Taur10
                  "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                    That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of anyone doing with electricals, ever!
                    Watch Canada's Worst Handyman. There's some REALLY scary stuff with the electrical work there.
                    (Although one funny one of sorts: their challenge was to install dimmer switches in their room and while this contestant at least got the light to work (the result so far was 2 pass, 2 fail) he couldn't turn it OFF...he'd basically created a neverending circuit )
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

my husband told me a story of helping with a home renovation (i think it was his mother's house) and there was a single ceiling light in the hallway or foyer or something, and they flipped every single breaker in the box, and it didn't go out... they flipped the MAIN and it STILL didn't go out! O.o\

not sure what they did to fix that particular FUBAR, but dang... that's bad. XD

our own first house had a strange soffit thru the middle of the bedroom, held up on one side by a 4x4 post. my husband didn't much like the look of it, so shortly after we bought the house he tore down the ceiling to get a look... the "soffit" was actually where two different roof pitches met... this is kinda complex so i hope i describe it right, but basically, the house had an addition on it, and originally it had a steeper pitch... the original pitch was kept, and the small addition had a less steep angle on the roof, so if you look at the roof, it had a steep part, and halfway thru the angle changed to a lesser steepness. whoever built the addition tacked on the new section without running new long joists across the whole space as he should have, and instead we basically had two halves of the root resting on that one 'soffit'.... which turned out to be nothing more than 2 2x4s that were installed flatways instead of upright... so not only were they too small to support the weight to begin with, they had no actual support... (and yes, the whole assemblage WAS sagging in the middle of the room. part of the reason hubby didn't like the look of it) we were utterly flabbergasted. thankfully my husband is smart, handy, and knows some about engineering code from working as a draftsman for a while... and was able to install full length joists... my memory is foggy at this point, as this was several years ago, but i think he used 2x8s... mounted correctly upright, of course. we were even able to get rid of the now-useless 4x4 post that was supporting one end of the soffit.

that house was... interesting. but it ended up quite nice when we were all done with it. XD
                      Last edited by katzklaw; 11-25-2014, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
                        Assuming we're talking America, that violates code. Each 120V circuit is required to be delivered on its own separate line. Heck, i'm trying to figure out the logic behind that as four wire ROMEX isn't exactly common to say the least, in fact in the 25 years since i went to school, i've forgotten exactly when you'd even use it. Not for normal 120 or 240 circuit, nor a three way light circuit. Maybe a four way or higher.
                        It is used for older kitchens in my neck of the woods. That way your countertop plugs have the top and bottom plugs on separate breakers. You just need to break the tab on the line side of the plug. Now adays they just use a 20-amp instead.

[bg]I am not an electrician but do work at a hardware store in Canada[/bg]
                        If it makes sense, it's not allowed™. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

When I worked for a home improvement store we had someone coming in wanting a ton of bare copper wire upset at the price(usually used for ground rods). He was planning on wiring his entire house he was building with it(after the previous he was building burned)

Comment

Quoth roguesqd View Post
                            When I worked for a home improvement store we had someone coming in wanting a ton of bare copper wire upset at the price(usually used for ground rods). He was planning on wiring his entire house he was building with it(after the previous he was building burned)

Talk about a slow learner.
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth IvorTangrean View Post
                              It is used for older kitchens in my neck of the woods. That way your countertop plugs have the top and bottom plugs on separate breakers. You just need to break the tab on the line side of the plug. Now adays they just use a 20-amp instead.

[bg]I am not an electrician but do work at a hardware store in Canada[/bg]
                              Actually even then you wouldn't, instead we were taught to pull separate feeds to it.
                              Seph
                              Taur10
                              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X