This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SICK (you've been warned)

I've been sick since Saturday night. Not the normal sick for me either; I just have nausea and I'm tired all the time.

No muscle aches, no headaches, no migraines, only a slight fever, I've been sitting in a cold house for the past couple days feeling hotter than hell but the thermometer says I'm only slightly warm (not hitting 100 degrees yet).

Help? I managed to eat some real food last night without being sick (plain noodles) but have spent the last 5 days living on water, apple juice and, just within the past 24 hours, chicken broth and vanilla yogurt.

I know what some of you are thinking; why haven't you gone to the hospital?

It's because I have an [un]healthy FEAR of doctors. I'm practically the QUEEN of home remedies yet, ironically, I can't seem to cure myself.

Yesterday I wound up zoning out in the shower.

So far it's been just over 33 hours since I last made friends with the toilet (green chiles coming up, nowhere near as good as they are going down).

What do you guys suggest? I HAVE to be cured by tomorrow night so I can go to work; I already called out a shift and a half and staying at home is slowly making me loose what's left of my marbles.

...and it took me 40 minutes to write this short post.

And the reason for being sick: turns out my sandwich bread bought last week was bad. I had two sandwiches before I noticed the lovely green spots.
    Last edited by Evil Queen; 01-21-2010, 07:12 PM. Reason: forgot to mention HOW I got sick.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Um, if this was rye bread, you may theoretically have ergot poisoning. It's not something you treat at home. It requires some fairly well monitored vaso-dilation (opening of the blood vessels) meds. The two most common symptoms of ergotism? Hallucinations and a burning feeling all over. You say you're boiling, but without a fever.

If it was rye bread, you're going to have to suck it up and get to a doctor ASAP, you don't really have another choice. We're talking potential limb loss due to vasal constriction.

If it wasn't rye bread, you're probably safe, so then hit up the pharmacist for an over-the-counter something. Anything else, and if you were going to get really sick, it'd have happened by now, so you just need something to ride it out.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Good ol' Broom.

Fortunately it wasn't rye bread, it's a white bread I purchase from the grocery store bakery called "Cottage Bread". Very dense, tasty bread.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

GINGER!!

Seriously, send Datajager to the store and get some fresh ginger. Slice a bit, shave it down, and put in a glass measuring cup. Steep 10 minutes, strain into a mug, let cool a bit before drinking. (Also tasty cold!) Voila! Homemade ginger tea, which is one of the BEST things I've ever found for upset stomach, sweeten with a little honey, and it coats the stomach, soothing irritation. Pepto doesn't come close.

As for foods? Plain, lower fat foods are best. Baked potato, bread, rice, noodles (which you know about). Maybe some of your awesome sauce homemade chicken soup? That always made me feel better.

And after reading Broom's post I really really really hope it wasn't rye! Poor EQ!!

Comment

I've pretty much been terrified of rye bread ever since I learned of ergotism

Glad it's not that. I'll have to agree with Lupo's ginger assessment.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Kinda makes me glad I've never really liked the flavor of rye bread to begin with.

I'm a wheat kinda gal, personally.

Comment

Well, I'm cured. Took 5 days of being sick for it to fully run its course. But I'm done being sick now.

I'm so thrilled!

Comment

Glad you're feeling better, EQ. Those symptoms you were having had me concerned.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Squee! We like a healthy EQ!! Happy!!

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                    Glad you're feeling better, EQ. Those symptoms you were having had me concerned.
                    Me too. If I continued to feel bad today I was going to hit up the hospital for sure. Thankfully, I don't have to!

Comment

Working...
                    X