Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Williamsburg? My Mecca? Oh, yeah! Around that time of year the rooms in the Woodlands Inn are in the $110/night range (according to their website), and it's walking distance from the historic city, or you can take the shuttles. DeWitt Wallace gallery and museum, lots of new stuff going on in the historic area with a much-improved interpretive program. Close to Jamestown and Yorktown, too. There's a spa on the outer edge of the historic district. Hotel gives free passes to the historic city, though you may want to add in a couple of the special programs for around $12 a pop. Take yourselves for a nice evening dinner at Christiana Campbell's or the King's Arms.

Ok, gotta stop. I sound like I'm shilling for the place. (But I'm going for a week at the end of October, ending with cooking in the Governor's kitchens...Wheeeeeee!)

Edit: Oops, wrong rates. Woodlands is around $150/night then. Governor's Inn is nice and can be walked or shuttled from, and they're putting up rates around $70 or so a night. I've stayed at both, and liked each one.
    Last edited by 1756GR2; 04-04-2011, 03:24 AM. Reason: Wrong info

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      Seattle just kicks ass, is not very touristy, and is just fun.
      I 2nd this completely! I love Seattle and the surrounding area and you are guaranteed to find plenty to do, you should find some fun historical stuff too. The duck boat rides are great and so are their museums, though I wasn't a fan of their rock museum, but it's a neat building. I've go out there for three weeks at a time and have an awesome time.
      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
        I 2nd this completely! I love Seattle and the surrounding area and you are guaranteed to find plenty to do, you should find some fun historical stuff too. The duck boat rides are great and so are their museums, though I wasn't a fan of their rock museum, but it's a neat building. I've go out there for three weeks at a time and have an awesome time.
        And don't forget Pikes Place Market. That's my favorite place to go. The flower vendors are my favorite. There's tons of little shops and restaurants, and if you are into that, the original Starbucks store is there too.

Comment

Pikes Place kicks ass.

If you are into coffee, forget Starbucks. By all accounts, that is just average for Seattle coffee, and there is so much better to be had up there. Yes, I know, I don't drink coffee, never have. Just saying what I've heard from those who do.

Quoth monolayth View Post
          We are going to St. Augustine Florida.
          For you and anyone else who goes to St. Augustine, if it's something you'd be interested in, definitely check out the St. Augustine Pirate & Treasure Museum. They were here in Key West for several years under a slightly different name, and moved their operations up to St. Augustine last year for business reasons, as St. Augustine is definitely more of a museum/family/field trip type town than Key West. They are supposed to be bigger, badder, and better than they were down here, and down here they absolutely kicked ass. I will tell you this, without question: you'll be able to see stuff at that museum that you won't be able to see anywhere else in the world. If you're at all interested in pirates, this museum is a must!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Thanks hon, Will definatly check it out.
            My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Quoth Shpepper View Post
              And don't forget Pikes Place Market. That's my favorite place to go.
              How could I forget Pikes! I loved it there, and didn't go broke shopping. A couple years back there was a kick ass comic book shop there, I wonder if it's still there it had some great stuff. You can find pretty much anything there, the China town district of Seattle was fun too.

Quoth Jester View Post

If you are into coffee, forget Starbucks. By all accounts, that is just average for Seattle coffee, and there is so much better to be had up there. Yes, I know, I don't drink coffee, never have. Just saying what I've heard from those who do.
              That is really true,If you like coffee you will never NOT find coffee, I swear every corner in that state has a little coffee booth. Really I've seen tiny little coffee booths on the corner of corn fields.
              I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Eagle, WI.

Old World Wisconsin isn't too far outside of town.

Other than that, though, you could travel half an hour or so to Milwaukee.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                  We live in NE Kansas (near Kansas City). The wedding will be...in Arkansas. It was going to be in Jonesboro, but I'm having trouble finding a location I like, so I'm expanding the search to the Little Rock metro area.
                  Have you considered Eureka Springs? Mrs. TGK & I had a great time there.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I will also put in a vote for Seattle. If you have a car you could go the ocean or the mountains. Though I make no promises about our weather. You could have stunning weather or it could be snowing.

A note about St Augustine, there is a tour trolley that will take you all over, you can get on and off as much as you like. The Spanish fort looked very cool, but we didn't make it out there.
                    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                      Have you considered Eureka Springs?
                      We have. He actually proposed there. But we also didn't have the best experience with the city itself (it didn't help that it was *extremely* hot and our cabin didn't have central a/c). And we're wanting to get a little further away. I do know that if we go anywhere mountainous, he's driving. I drove in Eureka Springs and nearly got carsick more times than I can count.

I think we'll probably have to rule out the West Coast for financial reasons. And, when we were talking last night, he didn't seem super enthused about going to a beach. One friend has suggested a few places in Wisconsin/Minnesota that I still need to look at. I also want to see what's in Colorado.
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

[
                        What's there? I mean, Mount Rushmore, obviously, but what else?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I should have supplied a link..try this one out for information, there is so much to do in western SD that it would be a long list.
                        www.blackhillsbadlands.com
                        hope it helps!

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                          Have you considered Eureka Springs? Mrs. TGK & I had a great time there.
                          This is exactly what I was going to say - was looking to see if anybody else suggested it - its close to where you'll be having the wedding, and fits all your requirements - there are so many great spas, there are springs, the historical houses and whatnot are positively charming, if you like nature, Roaring River State Park is just a hop and a skip away (great fishing and hiking!) There are a TON of little "bed and breakfasts" as well as honeymoon suites (and tons of chapels as well - I admit - my first husband and I got married at the "All About Love" wedding chapel there!!!) Definitely give it some consideration.

Oops I should have read further down that you've been there before posting - you can consider one of the hotels with honeymoon suites so you have the AC you want...Regardless, I wish you both much happiness!
                          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Eureka Springs certainly isn't off the table, but we're just looking at some other places.

That said, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions!! Even if it's not someplace that we want to go, the suggestions have reminded us of other places to consider. I also want to thank the B&B owners out there who have nice websites and clearly list all of the amenities they offer. I swear, some of these pages are still being hosted by GeoCities. And yes, I do need to know if it's a queen or king bed. *headdesk*

Comment

If he doesn't want the beach, and y'all are thinking more about the mountains, might I suggest my home state of Arizona?

"Jester, are you whacked? Mountains, you fool, not desert! They don't want to roast to death!"

Ah, a common misconception. True, much of Arizona is desert. Much of Arizona is very hot.

And then there is Flagstaff, Prescott, and Sedona. Three lovely places in the mountains in northern Arizona. Not overly touristy. Not desert. Flagstaff is actually at a higher elevation (7,000 feet) than Denver (5,280 feet), and Sedona and Prescott are nearby, so share the climate. Lots of historical stuff there. Lots to see. Much beauty. If you stay in Flag rather than either of the other two, it won't be that expensive. And Sedona and Prescott are just minutes away by car. Oak Creek Canyon, Indian ruins, Jeep tours, a church built right into red rocks, nature at its best, a couple hours from the Grand Canyon if you want to check that out (though that WILL roast you if you're there in the hotter months), Lowell Observatory....a lot to see, a lot to do, great weather, beautiful scenery. Not a bangin' night life, to be honest, and I can't comment on the spas, but I'd be surprised if there were not some in the area, especially in Sedona.

Yes, I am an unabashed honk for my home state. That fact doesn't make Zona any less awesome, though.

Just something for you to consider.

How could I forget Pikes!
                              I can never forget Pikes. Not only is it great, but quite literally, it is the place my magic career started...though I did not know it at the time.

I swear every corner in that state has a little coffee booth.
                              Some of my East Coast friends did not believe me, but Seattle literally has coffee stands on the street the same way New York City has hot dog carts. It's insane!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Thanks! Yes, after some thinking, we decided to put the Southwestern states back on the table. And here's the other thing. He finally admitted that he didn't want to fly to our eventual destination. He's scared of heights. As in terrified. So that changes things somewhat, but not too much. We were tossing around ideas, and the thought of a road trip-style vacation came up. Could be fun?

One of his friends, not realizing where we live, suggested we go to Kansas City. KC is a whopping 45 minute drive from here. But, then, I got to thinking (always dangerous) and said, Hey, that might be a good vacation idea for this summer. Take a long weekend, stay in KC, and go do touristy stuff. Even though I lived there for two years, I never went to the zoo, the WWI museum, or the steamboat museum. Maybe even go up to St. Joseph to see Jesse James' house or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X