This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A most disturbing conversation.

As some folks on the board may remember, I work at a wildlife reserve in Canada. One of the main features of the reserve is our Wolf Center. It houses an observation area where you can watch our captive pack in their pen, as well as a nifty museum with all sorts of cultural and biology exhibits about wolves.
    This past week I was showing a group of five and six year olds around the center. I love this part of my job, it really lets me indulge my silly side while still getting to teach.
    I was showing the kids a Dire Wolf skull. These are larger relatives of our modern wolves and I was explaining how they were now extinct, when I had the most...surreal conversation with one of the kids.

Kid: So all these wolves are dead?
    Me: Yes, they all died a long time ago.
    Kid: They all died of cancer, right?
    Me: Uh, no. Cancer could not kill off an entire species...
    Kid: Oh, yeah. They must have all died of AIDS then.
    Me:

The kid was serious too...I can pick out when they are just asking silly questions to see if they can throw me off.

Time to hit the kid with the cold hard facts:

"No, these wolves are dead because humans SHOT, TRAPPED, and POISONED them. This species of wolf is now EXTINCT because people thought they were competition and were too stupid and cruel to know better...or care."

Coddling children only leads to adult sized infants later on...
    *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
    *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

Uh..

*sigh*

I might get hit for conflict on this... but you REALLY should check your facts before posting. The Dire Wolves died out due to natural selection. I forget where I read it but a quick google check confirmed it...

(I can't give a recomendation for Wikifacts.. but it sounds pretty convincing...)

Man has a bad track record for indigenous species... but not as bad as PETA or other conservationists would have you think.

Comment

Given that they went extinct approximately 10,000 years ago, it's quite possible that humans had something to do with it. I wouldn't really blame the humans who lived at about that time for not being more ecologically aware, though. I suspect that they had enough to worry about.
        Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

Dire wolves would have seen us as food so of course they had to go. That's why we invented cancer after all :P

Comment

Working...
          X