Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Maps Keeps Leading Drivers Up Family's Driveway!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Maps Keeps Leading Drivers Up Family's Driveway!

http://www.ydr.com/mike/ci_25319321/...-up-isnt-funny

Read this in my paper yesterday.

Despite the ski resort and town putting up multiple extra signs, and ignoring all the signs placed by the family, people keep blindly following their smart phones into this family's driveway and field, getting stuck and taking it out on them! Or taking their anger out on them because how DARE they not be the ski resort!

Their business is suffering because customers for their farm products turn around after seeing all the 'no trespassing' signs. Nobody can do anything else to help them.

Wow. This is like the people following google maps into rivers...
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

And that, ladies in gentlemen, is why I have a job.

People either are the kind that read signs, or they don't. And if they don't, no matter how many there are, how close together they are, and how many flashing lights, big words or eye-catching dayglo colors you festoon them with, they go unnoticed because that second group just doesn't read them, doesn't even SEE them, they don't expect their progress to be barred, so they are not on the lookout for any signs. The blind faith put into electronic devices makes this even worse as they are conditioning themselves to not have to consult regular highway signs, let alone commercial or private ones that are put up. They just don't pay attention and can't be made to pay attention because as far as they're concerned, reading signs isn't necessary.

The only thing that stops them is making it physically impossible to go past the sign, and even that isn't really effective.

As in, there are still people who will try to drive around it and get stuck/mess up their vehicle, so it only works insofar as they didn't get past the sign, NOT that they didn't TRY

The ideal solution for this family is to put a metal gate across their road with a sign on it saying "For *Family Buisiness* customers, call XXX-XXXX" and then they'll know when they have a legitimate reason to let someone in.

Don't mention the ski resort, don't offer any assistance for those who are lost, because they WILL NOT READ IT.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

GPS is a great tool, but with any tool, you have to use it intelligently. I just got back from the parts store. I was walking in a city I'm unfamiliar with, so I popped the address into my iPhone (though I use Google Maps, not Apple Maps) for a little extra guidance, since I'd already looked at an actual map and roughly figured out where I was going. So, I get to where my phone is telling me to turn right, and I look around, and hey look! There's the part's store. On the left.

People need to get their heads out of their asses and learn to read signs.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

^ I agree, but.....

Google "gps drove car into lake"..... if people are stupid enough to drive their car into a lake because the GPS tells them to, can we really expect something like signs or gates to deter them?
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
          ^ I agree, but.....

Google "gps drove car into lake"..... if people are stupid enough to drive their car into a lake because the GPS tells them to, can we really expect something like signs or gates to deter them?
          Sadly, no.

Also, unlike lemmings, humans manage to survive their stupid moments - most of the time.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I wonder how many people have caused traffic accidents because their GPS or their phone "Didn't warn them there would be other vehicles and/or pedestrians."
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              I wonder how many people have caused traffic accidents because their GPS or their phone "Didn't warn them there would be other vehicles and/or pedestrians."

I wish the site had a 'like' button!
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Since the guy's business depends on people coming in, maybe he could put a loop in his driveway and signs "Ski resort parking" with an arrow. Following these signs would lead people around the loop, with a final sign telling them which way to turn once they get back to the road.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

In my area there are Parkways, highways for passenger cars only - no commercial vehicles. In the past few years the number of big rigs on the parkways, getting stuck under low bridges, has risen astronomically due to drivers blindly following GPS. These are professionals, you'd think they know better.

Comment

Working...
                  X